+ Reply
DCIS - Oncotype test ?
Ckh
2 Posts
I’m newly diagnosed with DCIS. Had one lumpectomy and getting a second next week. Doctor has recommended both radiation and horomone therapy. I want to get my biopsy tested through Oncotype DX. I understand that this is not covered so I’d be paying for it myself. Has anyone had this done for DCIS and not invasive cancer ? If so, was it beneficial ?
7 Replies
Ckh‍ I had both DCIS and IDC and I did not have an oncotype test done. I didn't know that such a test existed until I joined this site. I also had cancer in 2011 so I don't know if it was around then or as widely used. There also wasn't any question about whether or not I needed chemo because there was cancer found in two sentinel lymph nodes.

cancertakesflight

chrys21
67 Posts
Ckh‍ I am wondering the same thing. I had DCIS at biopsy but after surgery was upstaged to DCIS and IDC. I had my lumpectomy and SLNB January 22.

My surgeon referred me to a radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist - I have my first appointments with both of them next week.

I’ll be at Sunnybrook for radiation. I looked at the radiation team there online. There is a dr named Dr Eileen Rakovitch. She has done a lot of work with DCIS - a large study in Ontario that validated the Oncotype DX DCIS test. She has some videos online if you Google her. She talks about the importance of this test being used so women can know their individual risk of recurrence and make a decision about radiation and its benefits for them. This research was over 5 years ago. I’m not sure if the test is provincially funded though for DCIS? It is for IDC if you meet certain criteria.

I’m going to ask at my appts and will share what I learn.
Ckh
2 Posts
chrys21‍ I googled that doctor and videos, thank you - I look forward to hearing what she says to you. I was told invasive is funded but not DCIS. I will still order the test for myself, I’m grade 2, will be interested to see what it shows compared to what my oncologist is telling me.
chrys21
67 Posts
Hi Ckh
ah ok. So it seems then that although the test is available, it’s not funded. I will still ask about it and let you know what I’m told.
Best
Jan
Simi
17 Posts
Ckh‍ hello I did the test ! I’m from Alberta and it is covered I heard it costs about 5000 -7000$ ! This test helped in deciding if I needed chemo or not my score was 14 and they decided no chemo for me !I think if the oncologist recommends the test than is covered
hope it helps !
elle29
165 Posts
Try Lianne a moderator .I asked for this after al was done told it would had to be done prior at biopsy . Thanks for the revealing it is not covered . Elle 29
elle29
165 Posts
I was seen by a GPO at my hospital & gen surgeon who said I would have Radiation but he was not an Oncologist . I was then seen by the chief Medical Oncologists after I did all my 5 -1 diagnostic scans where I lived . At the same time a Radiologist Oncolgist was also speaking to me from the same Cancer Centre but not letting me ask her about radiation more asking me if I took the Pill . And where who & when I had previous cancer . I searched their names in their hospital menu but found nothing, But had a visit with the Med Oncologist to hear what treatment I could have . He advised I not have Radiation being prophylatic Chemo was worse could even cause death .
. I went from IDC to MBC in 3.5 months assessed by the Medical Oncologist who found spots on my lungs ordered by PET/CT from the Rad/Onco. I am on 2 oral anti cancer drugs living my normal life so far getting accustomed to be observant of side effects and diabetes . Stay connected here .
+ Reply