Surgery tomorrow!

Surgery tomorrow!

Posted by Lala74 on Nov 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi everyone!   Tomorrow is my lumpectomy, lymph node removal, reduction and lift.  I’m feeling a range of emotions; anxiety, excitement, relief.  Thank for all who have welcomed me to the club that no one wants to be a part of 😆.  Can anyone advise what the expected recovery times are from this type of surgery?  I haven’t received much info from the hospital.  TIA 

Re: Surgery tomorrow!

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm

All the best tomorrow Lala74‍.

cancertakesflight‍ and Lianne_Moderato‍ may be able to share their recovery timing with you. 

Please let us know how it goes when you're up to it. 

Lacey

Posted by Catherine6666 on Nov 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Lala74‍ ,

My surgery was fine, that the next day I walked out myself. And after 35 days, I drove again, but someone said they can drive after ten days or so. So really depends. 

Pray for your surgery and the report! 

Posted by cancertakesflight on Nov 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Lala74‍  I dont know if you will see this before your surgery but my thoughts are certainly with you.

I had a mastectomy in 2011. I was told it was day surgery but I stayed overnight because I had two drains. I don't know if you will have drains too but whether or not you have drains has an impact on what you can do. 

Personally I was up and about quite quickly. I didnt have to take any pain medication. I took 6 weeks off work. I have to admit that I was surprised how tired I was. 

I was given exercises to do...really stretches but since it doesn't sound like there will be any lymph nodes involved I don't know whether this will be a requirement for you.

Everyone is different when it comes to surgery, pain levels, and recovery time. Just remember to listen to your body. When you are tired then rest. I thought I was fine and then did my first outing to a store and wanted to climb into the shopping cart because I was so tired. By the time I was done my feet were dragging.

Good luck and congratulations on taking a step to removing the cancer from your body. I will be thinking about you.

cancertakesflight 
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Nov 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Lala74‍ 

I echo much of what cancertakesflight‍ has already said. 10 years ago I too had a lumpectomy with axillary dissection.  I thought that the axillary would be the difficult part mostly just because of the location. I was pleasantly surprised at how well and quickly  it healed. In fact one would be hard pressed to even see a scar. I found the most challenging part of the surgery, along with my reduction 15 years prior, was the drains. I found them awkward and in the way but thankfully they weren't in too long. I found things went much smoother once they they were out.
I was given an exercise booklet for post breast cancer surgery and followed it to the letter. While 10 years out I still have a little bit of mobility/range of motion restriction, it does not hinder me in any way. I do weights regularly now and while I can feel a difference from the other side, it is very manageable.

As has been said, we all heal differently.  I wish you well for the surgery today - by the time you see this you may very well already be on the other side of it.

When you are able, come back and let us know how you are doing. We are listening and will be here throughout your healing and upcoming treatment.

Lianne

Posted by Lala74 on Nov 18, 2020 9:26 am

Hi everyone!  I’m home in bed drinking my coffee.  Yesterday’s surgery was successful albeit a bit eventful.  This was my first surgery so everything was new to me. For the most part it looks like it works like a well oiled machine.  The nurses were on top of everything.  Actually walking into the surgery room was pretty unnerving.  So many people in the room. Watching my arms being strapped down was interesting.  The plastic surgeon was running the show.  And before I went under I heard him giving out orders.  He sounded like a BOSS.  That gave me a lot of confidence.  The blip in the day was during my recovery.  I was all set to get dressed to leave when the checked my vitals and I was running a low grade fever and my heart rate was high.  That went on for a couple more hours.  Turned out I was high - off the pain meds hydro morphine. It felt like a bad trip.  Lol.  I was sent home around 8 pm.  So a 13 hour day (during my pre op appointment the nurse told me it would be 5-6 hour day).  I was hungry and tired. 

Today the pain is tolerable.  I’m staying on top of my meds.  My spouse is here and my sister is coming over to help.  I can lift my arm over my head but my boobs feel achy and sore. 

My oncologist called my spouse after she did her part in the surgery.   Told him there was no surprise (more lumps) and the lymph’s looked clear.  Now we wait for pathology.  

Thanks to all of you who reached out to this stranger.  You make me feel cared for by a wonderful community of people who truly understand the ins and outs of my diagnosis.  

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 18, 2020 9:32 am

Lala74‍ 

Isn't it amazing how fast strangers can become friends when there is a shared experience? So nice to hear from you this am.

WOW that was a long day! You must have been tired and hungry! Also glad to hear there were no surprises and your being surrounded with love and support today.

Go gentle with yourself! What was the first thing you ate ?? 😊

Lacey

Posted by JustJan on Nov 19, 2020 7:40 am

Lala74‍ So glad you have your surgery behind you and it sounds like it was successful. Relax and let yourself be pampered for the next few days. You deserve it!

Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers

Posted by Catherine6666 on Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Lala74‍ ,

So glad that you are doing great at this moment! My lumpectomy is my second surgery, the first one is C section, so surgery is not a big problem for me. The best news is that, no surprise and your lymph looks clear, hopefully the pathology report confirms surgeon's feeling. 
Take a good rest!

Posted by ashcon on Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Lala74
So glad to hear things went well. The fact that you posted such a newsy and well-written post the day after surgery is a real indicator of how well you are doing! 
Promise me though that you won't push yourself!  Your body has been through a lot and needs extra special gentleness. 
Take care! ❤️
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Lala74 on Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Lacey_Moderator‍ the first thing I ate was an orange cranberry muffin from McDs along with an icy sugary smoothy for my sore throat.  It was delish. 

ashcon‍ i promise not to overdo it. I learned that the hard way after I went for a fairly long walk (a walk I would normally do pre surgery) and came home and crashed for the rest of the evening.  Today I rested and took a much shorter walk along with my recommended arm exercises. 

Thanks again for everyone’s well wishes.  I really do look forward to hearing from you. Your kindness and empathy are astonishing and appreciated 

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 20, 2020 9:58 am

Lala74‍ 

Sounds delish 😊

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Lala74‍ 

Congratulations for knocking out this milestone. Happy to hear that for the most part it all went well and that your first surgery experience was overall a good one.

WIshing you an uneventful healing now. Keep us posted how you are doing.

Lianne