Happening Today!!!!BRA ( Breast Reconstruction Awareness ) Day - online virtual event

Happening Today!!!!BRA ( Breast Reconstruction Awareness ) Day - online virtual event

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Oct 7, 2020 6:57 pm

Join us Wednesday October 21st at 7 pm EDT  for our virtual BRA Day

Information is on our events page here: https://cancerconnection.ca/events/item/88/280 

Lianne

Re: Happening Today!!!!BRA ( Breast Reconstruction Awareness ) Day - online virtual event

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Who is attending tonight??

Re: Happening Today!!!!BRA ( Breast Reconstruction Awareness ) Day - online virtual event

Posted by CCC888 on Oct 21, 2020 3:56 pm

I have a scan appointment tonight at 4:45pm PST.  I wish there will be recording which can be played after. 

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 21, 2020 3:58 pm

CCC888‍ - You're in luck there will be. Stay tuned to the site. 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Oct 21, 2020 10:23 pm

I attended the online virtual event Lacey_Moderator‍. It was very informative but also very long. It was a 2 part program. First part was Doctors, etc. giving us information (education) which had slide shows with photo's and also live speakers. One person, I found, talked quite fast. Lots of information in this part. They even talked about nipple reconstruction techniques Lacey_Moderator‍ 

Second part was show and tell where you there was real women who have had reconstruction answered questions about their reconstruction. I had to pick whether to view the implant reconstruction or the own tissue/or flat. You couldn't view both. I chose the implant portion. None of the participants were like me though. They had implants on both sides. We were instructed not to record any part of this portion including screenshots. The Q/A part was written questions but the participants answered verbally. So if you didn't attend the event not sure if you will see the answers.

Maybe when this gets posted later, I will be able to get some more information. Glad I participated and that it was virtual. Not sure if I could do it in person.

Too bad I didn't see/find this kind of information before I had my reconstruction. I may have made different decisions.

Posted by TT53 on Oct 22, 2020 10:16 am

Lacey_Moderator‍ I sat on the virtual event yesterday. 
I found the information great, it is just too bad that only people that are dealing with cancer are aware of this.  Our daughter is in her last year of Nurse Practitioner program, and I try to share as much information as possible around this, so she can help women navigate thru this confusing and most difficult time.
It would have been a great information prior to me having to deal with the breast cancer and reconstruction.  So much information that I did not know.  I think that when I was told I had cancer, all I wanted, was  a surgery to get rid.  Even though I asked questions, I now see how many more I should have asked.  Don't get me wrong.  From what I have seen and heard at the even, confirmed that I had the best care and even thou there are a few blimps, over all I cannot complain.
Thank you to all that put this even on and all the doctors and volunteers that took the time to participate.  And thank you Lacey_Moderator‍ for bringing this to our attention.

Love this group.
M..

Posted by AliceM on Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am

Great and informative event! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I plan to get right breast reconstruction and left breast reduction fall of next year ( had right breast mastectomy in May. Stage 2 ER/PR+ HER2-). I met with reconstructive surgeon already and he only discussed Autologous reconstruction so now when I go back next year I have more knowledge and questions for him for sure! 
keep us posted please on when we can access the recording so I can watch the segments I had to miss. 
Thanks again Lacey and Lianne (I don’t know how to tag you!)

Posted by Lulu Paris on Oct 22, 2020 11:08 am

I did attend the overview from the surgeons (including mine) as well as the "show and tell" session on implants.  My direct to implant surgery is 3 weeks away.  The webinar presented an alternative over the muscle procedure in the session that was not offered by either Cancer Care here in Manitoba or by the plastic surgeon.  I very much want to progress to the next stage of treatment and recovery (double mastectomy and reconstruction) but have concerns that I haven't been given all the options available.  

Posted by Gr8fl on Oct 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi, I am just new to the site and wish I hadn't missed last night's event!  I am also planning reconstructive surgery on one breast and could use all the information you have to offer.  Looking forward to watching the recorded video when it's posted.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Lulu Paris‍ 

I'm glad you were able to attend the event. Thanks for sharing your perspective. 

The event did cover many reconstructions techniques and procedures. You're right not all of them are available in all provinces or treatment centres and may not be covered. It's understandable that hearing about new techniques that are not available to you has you questioning the effectiveness of what is available. Did you reach out to your surgeon after the session, is that how you know it is not covered? Do you think an additional conversation with your surgeon would be helpful?

I'm not aware of any members on our site who have had the newer procedure (over muscle implant). I do know many who have had the under muscle implant. I'd like to introduce you to Minus2‍, Buffythevampire‍, TT53‍, Louiesamm‍. Ladies can you share your experiences?

I hope hearing from others who had a similar procedure is helpful,
Lacey

Posted by TT53 on Oct 22, 2020 7:27 pm

My procedure was over the muscle expander as well over the muscle implant.  Right after the mastectomy I had the expander put in and drain tubes as well.  they stayed for roughly two weeks because the drain tube plugged up and I did not know.   I had no pain with the implant surgery, except a bit around the incision.  And I also did not have any bruising.  I did have a bit of necrosis with the mastectomy, so had to be careful with healing.  The implant surgery went smoothly and no problem with any necrosis.  Like I said though if the surgeon does not leave enough fat under the skin, then you can see the ripping of the implant edge.  Even though my plastic surgeon said she can fix that, it means another surgery.  I think that over the muscle surgery is way less pain and easier recovery.
Hope this helps.  Let me know if I can answer any other questions Lulu Paris‍ 

Good luck,
M...

Posted by Buffythevampire on Oct 22, 2020 7:49 pm

Lulu Paris‍ I had under the muscle implant placement. You might have to meet a certain criteria to get over versus under but I am not sure what it is. I wanted direct implant but I had to get expanders first. I found out recently it's because of my breast size (too big). I have an implant on one side and the other is reduced/lifted. I can make the implant side move when I flex a certain muscle but I don't think it's too noticeable.

I heard there is more likely to see rippling with an implant when it is over the muscle. And I believe not a good idea if you have thin skin.

Posted by Lulu Paris on Oct 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Thank you TT53‍  and Buffythevampire‍ . I have sent a note to my CancerCare contact about the options. My angst is I really don't want to delay the procedure.  I saw from the show and tell at BRA day, where all of the participants had under the muscle, for the most part looked good.  Just would like the best possible outcome.

Posted by TT53 on Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am

Lulu Paris‍ like you I just wanted the cancer out.  I did not want to delay the surgery.   I had two previous lumpectomies that did not get the clear margins, so when I was having a mastectomy, I did what ever they told me to do.  I am 66, so the look is not so important to me, and I do have the option of the fat injections to fill in the area.  It is all a very personal decision.  Good luck, wishing you only the best.  Let me know how you make out.  I am in BC.
M...

Posted by JustJan on Oct 23, 2020 9:18 am

I also attended the virtual event as I will be undergoing a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy because I am BRCA1 positive. Unfortunately this wasn’t known when I was first diagnosed so underwent a lumpectomy and radiation. 

I did find it very useful to understand the different options. I did find some of the information to be a little graphic at times and not sure it was necessary. I have spent many hours working alongside OR nurses and I found it a little disturbing. Maybe it made me more squeamish because it connected with me at a more personal level. 

It was unfortunate some of the links weren’t working properly but technical glitches are always a challenge. It was great that the event could be done virtually and I definitely appreciate all the people who put in the time and effort to make sure the event could still happen. 

I think on the whole it was well done and provided good information. For me, personally, it has armed me with information and the ability to formulate questions for the plastic surgeon when I have my consult. 

Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Oct 23, 2020 1:23 pm

JustJan‍ 
Thank you for the feedback. We will pass that along to the organizers.

I am glad you found it helpful to think of questions going forward.

Lianne

Posted by Survive2020 on Oct 24, 2020 6:43 am

JustJan‍ Thank you for sharing your thoughts on The BRA event. I also watched and thought some surgery images were too graphic. Fine for surgical interns, but as a patient, I already have a sense of being carved up, so there was some indignity to the depersonalization of the patient images, the removed flaps sitting on a surgical towel. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

Posted by Nix on Oct 24, 2020 10:29 am

Survive2020‍ I get where you’re coming from, because I am sqeamish myself and did turn away from a couple of the photos in that keynote presentation, but some people want to see that level of actual detail about the surgery (my mom would be one of them and she wishes she had been able to come over and watch with me because she wants to know exactly what they will be doing to me if I need a masectomy + reconstruction...TBC waiting for genetic testing). Possibly they could consider including the actual surgical photos in one of the breakout sessions instead so people could choose if they wanted to see it.

Posted by Survive2020 on Oct 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Nix‍ good idea! And good luck with your test results. Lots of breast cancer in my family. My generation has two cases already, and no one has the BRCA 1/2 mutation. Will your results change your surgery decision?

Posted by Buffythevampire on Oct 24, 2020 1:20 pm

JustJan‍ I too thought that part was a bit too graphic for my taste. I forgot to post about it with my original post. Not everyone wants to see that. Drawings give enough information.

Posted by Nix on Oct 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Survive2020‍ - Yes the test results may impact the decision on surgery. I am only done 3 of 8 rounds of chemo so far and my lump is shrinking significantly. If I do not have any of the genes a lumpectomy may be possible. If I do not have any of the genes and a lumpectomy is not possible I would look at a single masectomy possibly and talk to the surgeon about whether sparing my nipple was possible.  However if I have any of the genes I’d have a double masectomy including nipples for sure.

Posted by altachica on Oct 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Lacey_Moderator:
CCC888‍ - You're in luck there will be. Stay tuned to the site. 

Hi, I missed this and was wondering when and if the replay will be available on the CCS site?

Posted by K70 on Oct 25, 2020 9:45 am

I too am hoping to watch the archived presentation. I’m almost finished my neoadjuvant treatment and meeting to plan final approach with surgeons next week.  Can we expect it soon?

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 26, 2020 3:47 pm

altachica‍ and K70‍ We will definitely post on the site when this is available.

Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback it has been shared with the organizers. 

Lacey

Posted by Buffythevampire on Oct 26, 2020 7:02 pm

I received an email to take a survey about the BRA Event. I made sure I included the graphic (body parts) in my review.