First post - Appreciative Reader

First post - Appreciative Reader

Posted by Monie34 on Jul 29, 2020 12:47 am

First, all of you have been a great inspiration to me as I have been on this journey, the tips and suggestions and sense of community have been invaluable! 
I was diagnosed with invasive lobular HER2+ ER- PR- breast cancer in March starting neoadjuvant ACDT on Apr 7.   Only 2 more Chemo sessions then on to surgery and radiation. During all the tests to see if and where the cancer had spread,  a gallbladder filled with gallstones was found. This has given me grief all the way through.  Long story short I ended up in the hospital for a week with 2 different infections, I have lost about 14% of my body weight making me very weak. I am very tired of feeling and being sick.
The cancer clinic has been great, so helpful and encouraging   I feel very fortunate to have had this resource during covid

Re: First post - Appreciative Reader

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 30, 2020 8:47 am

Monie34‍ 

I appreciate you introducing yourself and your kind words ❤. I'm so glad the community has been a help to you during your cancer diagnosis and COVID-19.

I'm sorry to hear about your hospital stays, gallbladder, and weight loss. Is there a Dietitian you can talk to at the hospital? Are you having difficulty eating? We have a great booklet that gives you ideas of things to add to your food if you are losing weight. It's called Eating Well When You Have Cancer. Click the link and then you can download the booklet on to your computer of phone.

Here is one of the pages I think you will find helpful:

127909261fb12751c46f3be43fa6e7e8-huge-ca

You have broken the ice! I hope you continue to post and lean on our community for support. 

Take Care,
Lacey

Posted by Kims1961 on Aug 1, 2020 7:14 pm

Monie34‍ Welcome and so glad you posted😀

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma ER+ and HER2+.  Congrats on getting this far with treatment. You mentioned surgery ...what will that look like? Are you also doing Herceptin? 

Yikes...the gall stones sounds painful.  It seems to be so unfair to have to deal with other health issues, when we are also treating cancer.

Hope today was a better day. Please let us know how you’re doing!  Kim

Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Monie34 on Aug 3, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi, thanks for your responses! Last Thursday was the first day in over 34 without either Chemo, antibiotics, steroids or Gastrofil Yay   It took a couple of days for my body reactions to settle down   The gall bladder is behaving at the moment so I have been able to eat fat content carefully.  Does anyone else on Docetaxol have everything taste bitter?  
You asked what surgery will look like, I think the surgeon was suggesting that if the regimen of Chemo worked a lumpectomy and lymph nodes including the one that had cancer with the marker would be sufficient, with radiation following. At the time my ears was closed to this ... I have a cousin that keeps going back for lumpectomies, I wanted a bi lateral mastectomy to be “done” with it.  But I have lost so much strength and been sick so much if he recommends lumpectomy, I think I will be thrilled with a shorter recovery and readdress the issue if I end up with recurring lumpectomies.  I have read many of the posts of how people have made their choices about mastectomy as opposed to bilateral mastectomy with and without reconstruction and it has been very helpful. 
Yes I am on herceptin as well. Does anyone else out there have lobular cancer?
Monie

Re: First post - Appreciative Reader Lobular

Posted by Veryhappilyretired on Aug 4, 2020 5:01 pm

I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with invasive lobular as well (ER and PR +) . I had surgery and radiation, and must take anastrozole for 5 years.  So far, so good...
It is unfortunate that you have the gall bladder issue to deal with at the same time.   Hope things are getting better for you. 💕
K

Posted by Becks on Aug 5, 2020 8:53 am

Monie34‍ Welcome & sorry for the reasons you are here. I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular ER/PR + in April. So far have had left mastectomy & currently on my last few weeks of DD AC/T chemo (3 weeks left!!) From there I have another surgery (more nodes & right mastectomy while I'm at it!) followed by radiation. On Triptorelin as my hormone therapy.

My oncologist advised they will give your body time to recover from chemo prior to surgery, so know that you will only feel stronger going forward. Type of surgery is such a personal decision, so take your time with it so you can be confident. I did not have an option for my first surgery, but going in for the 2nd mastectomy is mine alone - I want to minimize chance of cancer returning, along with the stress of yearly mammograms/results, and bring some symetry back to my body 😉

Agree with your comment I am very tired of feeling and being sick.... it takes a huge emotional toll to not feel like yourself. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Posted by Faith1 on Aug 6, 2020 6:32 am

I am Faith1.I am  60 years old.I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer the same two positives but not the HER. I had my first Chemo on July 22nd and my second yesterday. I will need to have nodes removed under my right arm and trying to decide to have 1 or 2 breasts removed. I'm not sure about breast reconstruction at this point as there are so many things to consider. My surgery will be around November/December, then radiation and then drug therapy. Sorry to hear about your bladder issues. I hope you can gain some strength and weight back and become stronger. I have found there are certain things I can tolerate and eat, and others I cannot. I have a little trying to sleep on Chemo days I guess because of the steroids? I am also a diabetic and have high blood pressure,  trying to keep it under control with diet and exercise only, so far not bad. I enjoy talking to people on this site and learning from each other. Welcome!

Posted by Trishfw on Aug 6, 2020 10:24 am

Hi Monie,
i have breast cancer as well. 
I am currently undergoing chemo 1/2 way through.
t am on Doxcetal as well,  and yes for a few days after chemo everything tastes like aluminum to me.
Even water tastes funny.
i have spoken to a dietician and she made some suggestions;
Rinse your mouth before eating with a baking sofa and water mix
Marinade meats to cover up taste. I’m experimenting with this now. 
Flavour  water with sugar free flavourings ,  
Popsicles help too.  Find a flavour that works.  (Orange ones were worst for me)
Just to name a few
I also found that helping my body flush the drugs from my system helps,  Drink fluids till the cows come home!

I wish you well with your treatments.  I try to keep in mind that this isn’t forever it is only a moment in time.  
I’m looking forward to food that tastes as it should again!!!!