Wig help!

Wig help!

Posted by Rosie V on Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi There. I am looking for any tips or suggestions on how to get funding or financial relief for a wig in Ontario (if there is anything). I have very minimal coverage through my insurance provider and was hoping to purchase a human hair wig. Any insight is appreciated!  

Re: Wig help!

Posted by ashcon on Jun 30, 2020 8:26 am

Hi Rosie V
I live in Ontario as well. I obtained a free synthetic hair wig at my local cancer. I never explored anything beyond that because, truth be told, I never wore that wig even once.   I opted for fun head coverings, hats, or "buffs" instead. Essjay‍ had a Henna done to her dome that she really liked. 
Have a look through the Community Services Locator. You may find something there, provided by a private company or service.
New services are constantly being added to this list. By the way, if you do find something yourself in your community that is not already listed, but would be helpful to others going through cancer, please encourage that company to contact Canadian Cancer Society to get added to the list! 

What stage are you at in your treatment? 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Essjay on Jun 30, 2020 9:08 am

Hi Rosie V‍ like ashcon‍ i had a free wig from my local cancer centre - didn’t wear it beyond a couple of video chats with my niece whom my sister in law decided shouldn’t be told about my cancer 🤷‍♀️ 

I had chemo through winter, and wore hats from www.headcovers.com, scarves after learning to tie them from www.wrapunzel.com and buffs. As I ended my treatment in May I had a henna tattoo - it helped me to get used to the shape of my head and by the time it wore off (3weeks), I had fine peach fluff and mostly went out without hats. If I had chemo in summer, I think I’d have had more henna...

8de9bfd7252f46b9d60dd206b418cc7f-huge-90

Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by BookLover on Jun 30, 2020 11:23 am

I also got a wig from local cancer support agency, as others have said I haven't worn it all that much. I did wear it when I saw my 4 yr old grandson, before covid stopped him visiting. Recently we expanded our bubble and they arrived unexpectedly, I didn't have wig on and he immediately asked why I didn't have hair, told him mummy gave me a buzz cut, his response was "cool"!

So I think you may find you don't wear one as much as you might think. Try caps and other head coverings. I'm now in maintenance, but during last couple of chemo treatments I didn't even wear a head covering. Find your own comfort zone and if that's a wig hopefully you can find a good one. 

Best of luck! 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 30, 2020 11:36 am

BookLover‍ 

Thanks for sharing! So glad your grandson likes your cool new haircut 😊. Kids have a way of simplifying things and making us feel good. 

Rosie V‍ best of luck finding a wig. You have some great suggestions of how to get started. Please reach out if you have any trouble.

Are you thinking of finding something similar to your own style and colour or something different?

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Rosie V‍ 

ashcon‍  gave you the link for our community srvices locator. You may also want to call our Cancer Information Helpline at 1-888-939-3333 to see if they can point you in the direction of resources for assistance in getting a wig either more cheaply or free or financial assistance in general.

I will pipe in too to say I rarely wore mine either. When I did it was often to make other people more comfortable. Like Essjay‍ , I got some great hats from whttps://www.headcovers.com/.

Let us know what you end up doing/getting.

Lianne

Posted by Montana on Jul 1, 2020 9:47 am

I received a free wig from my local cancer society that I wore every day when I went outside.  They had so many to choose from.  The style I picked, even had darker "roots", so it looked very natural.  I didn't feel comfortable going out in public with the hats that look like I have cancer.  I did also pick up a soft hat to sleep in.  I had no hair all winter, so at night, in bed, my bald head got a bit cool and the hat was nice.  The cancer society also gave me a free cushion that helped me, when resting, after I had my lump removed