Shooting pain after Sentinel lymph node biopsy

Shooting pain after Sentinel lymph node biopsy

Posted by Turbo on Jun 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello, 
I am new to this website, and looking for help or ideas here as I couldn’t reach my nurse. 

I had lumpectomy and SLNB on June 10th,  incisions are recovering very good, no hurt at all. However, since day 9 of the surgery, I feel pain at the area which is above my lymph node incision. It is swelling and feel like nerves pain. Pain is not consistent but like shooting. My arm can’t be put down Completely and feel stuck due to the swell and looks very funny. My arm doesn’t look like lymphedema, only area that under armpit and above incision is hurt. 

is this normal? Does everyone had same experience? 

Warm regards,

Turbo

Re: Shooting pain after Sentinel lymph node biopsy

Posted by Essjay on Jun 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi Turbo‍ - I remember the sentinel node removal being more painful that the tumour removal. I had a lump the size of a large orang under my arm and I had nerve pain down my arm for about six weeks, that kept me awake pretty much the whole time. 

For the swelling I would be using warmth to stimulate the circulation (hot water bottle), and massage if you feel you can touch it without too much pain.

it will go down, but it takes a while.

How are you doing otherwise?

best wishes Essjay 
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Turbo on Jun 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi Essjay, 

organge size is the perfect description to the lump under the armpit, and it’s painful when you touch it. I am ok if it is temporarily pain, but worried if it finally will go. Glad you give me that confidence. 

other than that, I feel good, but worry the radiation therapy if it will damage my other organs. 😢 follow up meeting is on June 25th, hope the pathology result is good. 

thank you so much Essjay

Turbo

Posted by Peterpatch on Jun 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Just wondering if it is your left breast that will have radiation? The radiation staff are amazing. There are Breast cancer radiation you tube videos that help show you what to expect. This helped me see what the equipment looked like which helped lower my stress level.  Appointments may be over the phone when possible. This is a great site to answer any concerns or prep you for questions to ask. I suggest that you buy Base Glaxal cream to apply thin layers to your breast and armpit two times a day about 1 week prior to you treatment. Be certain to ask what things to avoid. I was pulled off Vitamin E and C and later told that I should be avoiding foods that are naturally antioxidants. Eg chocolate blueberries etc. (I was not told that until after treatment 8 of 16.)
No hot showers, ice packs or heat once into radiation treatment. My radiation treatments ended 1 week ago. Wishing you the best! 

Posted by Turbo on Jun 22, 2020 9:19 pm

Thank you Peterpatch, 

yes, tumour is at left breast 6 clock position. Er/Pr positive and Her 2 negative. 

I don’t know the details of radiation yet as I don’t know the pathology result till June 25th. I will see if I can reduce the radiation to 3 weeks rather than 5 weeks. I am so scare it will damage my heart and lung and decrease the immune system then cause other problem, but I know the treatment plan has to be discussed with my doctor. 

do you know they will do re-assessment After few times of radiation? 

thanks 

Turbo

Posted by Peterpatch on Jun 22, 2020 11:26 pm

Love I had left breast radiation in Oshawa Ontario. They use ABC breathing technique which can be described on YouTube. I was taught at my first app’t. I have asthma do I was concerned that I would have trouble with my breathing. My pharmacist gave me some advice. I was fortunate that my app’t were not close to when I would eat. Some people had acid reflux problems when drinking coffee and eating close to when they had to hold their breath. Radiation therapist are very careful to get you into the exact position for radiation. The camera took pictures first day and first day of second week and one day when they were not certain I was in position. I tired to remember to drink dome water before I went inside perhaps an issue with asthma but hard to hold breathe with dry throat. It is important to not gasp but breathe deeply and slowly. You will have s button to hold like on jeopardy. I tried holding down with my thumb but found it easier to hold down with my “Peter pointer”. The most important thing is to try to not rush into the building not rush down the hall not rush to change and sit down on the table slowly Let them move you into position while you try to relax. Remember there will be a lot of specialized people working out a treatment for you and helping you to be successful. 

Posted by Essjay on Jun 23, 2020 8:00 am

Turbo‍ my tumour was at 5 o’clock in my left breast. I had 16 radiation doses to the whole breast and 5 to the tumour bed. We didn’t have a breathing machine, instead an ephemeral voice told me to breathe in and hold. 
Your radiation oncologist will go through the risks and possible damage. The breath holding is all about protecting the heart and they will scan you to see if it’s necessary (we are all different shapes) and if it will work to protect your heart. They will design the plan so that your heart is protected.
You will have some damage to your lung, but my oncologist told me that our bodies adapt very well and cope perfectly well without it. I decided to train my body to cope as well as possible by beginning running after radiation ended. I hadn’t run since high school but I wanted to run in the Run for the Cure the fall after my treatment finished. That was my recovery goal and it motivated me. I made my goal and I’m still running (today is my runniversary (1 year) when I got started) - I run up to 30km a week. And my aerobic fitness is in the ‘excellent for your age group’ range. Running also helped me prep for a backpacking trip in the Rockies with my wonderful supportive hubby 12 weeks after I finished my treatment - another thing my lungs coped with very well.
I hope these stories give you hope - we don’t all need to be runners or rock climbers, but I’m saying please don’t be afraid, and please don’t sit there thinking you are going to be impaired for the rest of your life because of treatment. A little skin soreness (temporary), tightness and the scar tissue hardens up (but softens with massage), and a tanned sun sensitive breast (naked sunbathing is overrated anyway)...you’ll be just fine.

How is the lump today? Are you coping better with the pain now you know what it is?

best wishes Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 6, 2020 2:07 pm

Turbo‍ 

How are you feeling? Did you get a hold of your nurse?

Thinking of you!
Lacey

Posted by Turbo on Jul 6, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Lacey,

Thank you for thinking of me. the pain finally is gone and no side affect except little stretch when reaching my arm further.

the surgical margin Is positive but I am not going to have mastectomy as doctor said. Can’t afford loose one breast. 

turbo