Log in or Register to participate in these discussions

Trouble after double mastectomy

Trouble after double mastectomy

Posted by Hislop on May 19, 2020 3:31 pm

I had a mastectomy two months ago but a month ago I started bleeding on one side.  I have had it drained 3 times and am need of another draining.   I am wondering if there’s any one else who has had this problem and how long it lasted.  Wondering if there’s something I can do to stop the bleeding.  Thank you

Re: Trouble after double mastectomy

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Hislop‍  Welcome. I am sorry you are having problems.  Have you been in touch with your medical team?  It is important to let them know what is happening.  Please make a phone call and see if they can come up with a solution.  What is your level of physical activity?  Are you resting?  Not lifting heavy objects?  Please take care of yourself. 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Re: Trouble after double mastectomy

Posted by Hislop on May 22, 2020 12:30 pm

I live alone and probably have been over doing things. Recently my surgeon open up my mastectomy area With a small incision and suctioned it out as blood was clotted and not able to drain.  He packed it with gauze and I am now being treated at the wound clinic every other day where they flush out the area with saline and pack gauze back in. The area is sore but better than before.   My surgeon said he only wanted me going to the wound clinic for 2 weeks but nurses at wound clinic say it will take a lot longer.   I am concerned this will delay any future cancer treatments.   I will find out more on the 16th of June when I have my first video conference with oncology.

Re: Trouble after double mastectomy

Posted by Chocoholic on May 23, 2020 4:45 pm

How are you doing?  

Re: Trouble after double mastectomy

Posted by WestCoastSailor on May 23, 2020 8:56 pm


I had a bilateral mastectomy as well. The surgeon had to go back in right away when I had a major internal bleed that they couldn't stop. My chest had a lump the size of a softball that they discovered in the process of transferring me back to recovery. They actually made me sign consent forms prior to taking back to open me up again. Like I was capable of making decisions? I think not. At any rate they were successful and my recovery was pretty normal.

I was pretty concerned about overdoing it. Being a man that comes naturally. My drains stayed in a few extra days. But everything healed nicely after that.

Only your oncologist can make the decision about when to start chemo. Do what you can though to promote the healing. Talk to the nurses at the wound clinic. They do this stuff all the time and may have some little tips that will speed the process along. I had trouble with a septic wound that developed on my back as result of lowered immunity as a result of chemo and radiation treatment for lung cancer. It was packed with gauze the second time it was drained and then the gauze was changed twice before it was allowed to naturally seal and heal. The whole process took about ten days. One thing I was told was to keep my protein intake high as it made the building blocks for the repairs available.  There may be other things that you can do.

My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca