Mastectomy ladies and what to wear?

Re: Mastectomy ladies and what to wear?

Posted by Judy Best Breast Vest Co on Aug 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Pokergal‍ 
Congratulations on your very supportive family. My children were wonderful too but I went a different way. We had a lot going on in our family at the time and I just wanted to look as normal as possible. There are lots of options out there now apart from the traditional heavy prosthesis, including knotted knockers, light stuffed breast forms and combinations of sports bra inserts. Lots of tools in our toolkit, or none at all if it suits you! Best of luck.

Posted by Peanut on Aug 22, 2020 2:12 am

I had my single mastectomy on Feb. 25th.  I finally was fitted for my prosthesis a little over a week ago.  I also bought a swimming one but I did go swimming without it as I hadn’t bought it yet.  I had bought a mastectomy swim suit and it was patterned so I don’t think it was noticeable that one side was flat.  The mastectomy swimsuits fit so well that you can’t tell.  Last weekend I wore my prosthesis in my swimsuit as we went to the beach and I looked perfectly normal.  My friend and my daughter both said they couldn’t tell and believe me my 12 yr old daughter is brutally honest.

I really didn’t think I would like wearing a prosthesis as my grandmother in her 80’s when she had her surgery hated hers.  I don’t think she was fitted properly and that was why she hated it so much.  I went to a shop where they only sell mastectomy bras and prosthetics.  She was fantastic and when I wear mine with my bra I forget my breast is missing.  It moves and feels like a regular breast and I no longer worry about or hate getting dressed in the morning.  Everything feels good again.

Peanut

Posted by Kirsty on Aug 23, 2020 12:08 am

So interested in all the replies. Haven't checked out mastectomy bras yet but was interested to hear that LaVie n Rose carries them. Tanks for the info. Any other places to try where the price is right?? How soon do you start wearing a bra again. My surgery is scheduled on Aug 28th. - Kirsty

Posted by Wendy Tea on Aug 23, 2020 10:17 am

Kirsty‍  Please dont be in a rush to get into a bra. You will be a bit tender and you will need time to heal. When I went out after surgery I tossed on a scarf or a vest or jacket as a disguise. Because I had a single mastectomy my physiotherapist insisted I get a prosthesis for balance to protect my spine.  I bought mine at a medical supply store. I am going to buy a sport version this week as they are supposed to be cooler.  I will let you know if it works. 

Posted by Kirsty on Aug 23, 2020 11:49 am

Thank you Wendy. I will also be having a single mastectomy. I appreciate the advice.

I am quite small both in height & weight so I don’t expect problem alignments with my spine but I guess I won’t know till later😊

Posted by Judy Best Breast Vest Co on Aug 24, 2020 10:19 am

Hi Kirsty‍ 
It’s tricky in between surgery and being able to be fitted for a bra, and even after that, bras can be very uncomfortable on scars and rashes. I made myself a vest with internal pockets for putting light prostheses in. I made such a sensation that I’m making them  for other people. If you have Facebook or Instagram look up the name in my handle if you are interested. Good luck. It’s a tough journey but it will pass.
Judy

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Aug 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Kirsty‍ 

I will be away next Friday so I want to wish you well with your surgery and look forward to your updates as you are able.

Lianne

Posted by Wendy Tea on Aug 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Today I picked up an Amoena Energy Light sport boob. Its claim to fame is its cooling properties.  It works! So far I am the coolest person in the room, and the only person! I wish I had been given this option when I bought my other one last December.  I was not thinking about how hot it would be to wear over an extended period of time last winter. I love my new boob. The salesperson had to ask which one was the fake one!

Posted by triplepos on Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am

Hi;  I have the same thing, and it happens to me.  No one knows that one of my breast is missing, sometimes, I even forget.  lol  The bra I was fitted for is so great for t shirts too.  i am so glad there are sales reps out there that know their stuff.  Made my outside beauty fantastic!

Posted by gwenny on Oct 4, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi well my oncologist called and said since my body doesn't tolerate tamoxifen or anastrozole, there's nothing he can do for me.  Hormone treatment is the only thing that made sense for me.
So now I go for mammogram on remaining breast in August and dont have to see him till next year April 2021.
So I guess that's it.   I just hope it doesn't come back. 

Posted by Wendy Tea on Oct 4, 2020 3:22 pm

gwenny‍  Welcome.  While I couldn't tolerate Letrozole,  I am doing fine on tamoxifen.  Taking this drug only increases my survival rate by 4%.  I am pleased your 6th month mammogram follow up is scheduled.  By the time I have mine,  it will be 6 months over due. These are definitely challenging times.
When was your surgery?  Do you have a prosthesis?  How are you coping emotionally?  Reach out to the community as we understand.