Tamoxifen & Radiation Started

Re: Tamoxifen & Radiation Started

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Jul 1, 2020 3:06 pm

orchid*lover*‍ 

I just wanted to mention my experience with Tamoxifen, because it is not all that uncommon, but often people don't take the time to write about when things are going well.  I was on Tamoxiffen for 4.5 years before I switched to Exemestane ( I was pre-menopausal when I was diagnosed but once I was post menopausal I was switched to an AI - Aromatase Inhibitor) In the time I was on Tamoxifen, I rarely had any side effects. The occasional hot flash - maybe 6 a year, and the occasional ankle swelling. That's it.

I wish you well with your radiation and as you continue with the Herceptin.

Keep us posted how you are doing

Lianne

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 3, 2020 1:27 pm

Thank you Liane, it's great to hear the good news for sure!! I think I will have gone thru menopause by the time I start Tamoxifen, I haven't had my period for almost 1 year...and I need to finish Herceptin before I start Tamoxifen I believe is what the oncologist said. I did take HRT when I was perimenopausal as my hot flashes were brutal and no sleep.  In hind sight of course I regret this as I know it can contribute to breast cancer risk. Thank you again for the encouraging words!! 

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 8, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi everyone!! So I finally got a date for radiation at clinic in Kelowna, July 29. They said there will be 20 in total, with 4 boost to start with...the oncologist said they would do that at the end of treatment when I had the consult...anyone know what this means? I am glad they can do the boost as she said it's better longterm if they can isolate the margins of where the tumour was to do this, she said sometimes they can't see it from the CT scan?  Thanks 🙂

Posted by Charper on Jul 13, 2020 11:06 am

Hi everyone, it has been awhile since I posted.  Since my last post my skin has healed and I think I have the constipation under control but the body aches are still here.  I try to take easy with my magic bag warmed up but sometimes I do take Advil and I started taking magnesium twice a day, we will see how that works.

Premenopausal - anyone else? Before I was diagnosed I was premenopausal and then the month I was diagnosed I got my period and then gone again, I have not had a period since, I am assuming that this is telling me the tamoxifen is working, but I have no libido, I am sure my anti-depressants do not help that either.

orchid*lover*‍  it's good to hear you finally got a date, take easy and stay positive, when you need somewhere to vent or ask questions, everyone on this site is very caring and helpful.

Sending love and hugs 

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Charper‍ , and anyone else suffering with Tamoxifen body aches...

Just wanted to put out there that acupuncture is a great way to alleviate the body aches/pain from Tamoxifen, as well as taking the Magnesium.  I was really hurting during the Covid lockdown and not being able to see my acupuncturist.  After my 2nd visit with her all the pain in my hips, legs and feet is gone again!  

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Essjay on Jul 14, 2020 8:11 am

Hi Charper‍ good to hear from you. Best wishes Essjay xx
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018