Reconstruction after mastectomy

Reconstruction after mastectomy

Posted by TT53 on Feb 14, 2020 11:39 am

Hello ladies,
I am wondering if you ever get the feeling back into the reconstructed breast.  I have a feeling all the way around the breast, but the actual boob is NUMB.  Thank you for any answers.

Re: Reconstruction after mastectomy

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 14, 2020 5:19 pm

@TT53‍ I currently have an expander and I do have feeling. It took a while after the initial surgery and I am not sure how long but there is feeling. I am still adjusting to the shape though. To me it's more rectangular. Hopefully after the next surgery, exchange(?) there will still be feeling and a more normal shape too. I think you probably have to give it more time to get the feeling back. 

Posted by TT53 on Feb 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Buffythevampire‍ thank you for your response.  How long ago was your surgery?  Mine was in October and at first I had no feeling from about the collar bone down, now I have feeling all the way to the top of the breast, but no feeling at all the whole breast.  I also have an expander right now.  Waiting to have it replaced with an implant in April.  Take care
Milan

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 15, 2020 3:28 pm

TT53‍ My mastectomy/expander surgery was March, 2019. My next surgery is in June, 2020 to remove the expander and place the implant. 

Posted by Lauren55 on Feb 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Buffythevampire‍ hi, I had my bi lateral surgery June 2017, my exchange was done May 2018 and I had a third Oct 2019 because of my radiated side capsulation.  The surgeon also got rid if my “squareness” on one side during the capsulation surgery.  Now the left “non radiated” is a cute rounded boob.  The radiated side is now starting to fall into place.  The feeling is back on both sides but my radiated side is a bit less sensitive.  There are some areas that still have to regrow nerves and they may never.  My underarm on radiated side where they removed all the lymph nodes may never have feeling but it is ok.  I just use an electric razor.  The bonus is they also removed a lot if sweat glands so I can chose to wear deodorant or not.  I usually do, just in case.  Give your body time.  It is amazing what it can do to heal itself.  

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Lauren55‍ Although I have never seen reconstructed breasts (aside from the internet and they're scary) I don't think what I have looks bad so far. It just takes some getting used to. And I know they're not finished yet. Right now it's awkward finding a comfortable bra when one side is smaller and firm and the other side is bigger and not firm. I am a work in progress and can't wait for the final result.

Posted by Jini on Feb 18, 2020 2:26 pm

TT53‍  I had mastectomy and reconstruction about 2 months ago and on Tamoxifen now.  I still do feel some around the breast, close to the armpit area, clavicle area...I asked my plastic surgeon and he said I will feel less by time. Yeah. I feel less compared to 1month after the surgery.