Reconstruction of Breast Reconstruction

Reconstruction of Breast Reconstruction

Posted by CDKam on Dec 4, 2019 11:34 am

I had breast reconstruction with silicone implants after stage 3, HER2 positive, hormone negative breast cancer. The expanders were put in Dec.2016 and final surgery was Feb. 2018. My left breast had the cancer (with all lymph nodes removed) and I had a prophylactic mastectomy on the right side (2016) a year after my left side (2015). The expanders were put in after all treatment was finished - chemo, a year on Herceptin and 30 rounds of radiation. I have had no issues with the prophylactic side, but the radiated skin on my left breast is paper tissue thin with a small hole in the scar tissue and I have had repeated cases of cellulitis in the left breast requiring antibiotics. This breast is also misshapen due to the tightness of the radiated skin. Just talked with my plastic surgeon last week. Options are: 1) do nothing and deal with infections with antibiotics;  2) remove implants and put in smaller ones so skin isn’t as stretched; 3) explant and go flat (not something I’m personally comfortable with); 4) use a flap of skin from elsewhere on my body (abdomen is not an option due to previous surgeries) to replace the radiated skin and then put in smaller implants. My plastic surgeon does not do the fourth option, so I need to talk to another PS in the new year about whether or not this is even a possibility  for me. Has anyone else faced reconstruction of their breast reconstruction and how did it go?

Re: Reconstruction of Breast Reconstruction

Posted by Wendy Tea on Dec 4, 2019 3:26 pm

CDKam‍ , you are so brave. I had a mastectomy with no reconstruction. With my luck, I did not want a longer surgery than was needed and I felt if anything could go wrong, it would.  I am such a chicken! There are several ladies here who can help. Personally, I feel the less foreign objects inside the human body, the better the outcome. When you are younger then decisions are made with body image in mind.
I still have an original breast and would have preferred the option to go flat however being lopsided distorts the spine so I wear a fake boob. It is new and looks amazing. 
I wish you well and hope for a wonderful outcome.
Wendy Tea 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Dec 5, 2019 5:52 pm

CDKam‍ 

Certainly a tough situation to be in.  Thank you for sharing as it will no doubt help someone else out who have to deal with this down the road. I know I have seen discussions on here by women who have indeed done a recon of a reconstruction. It sounds like option 1 and 3 would not be your choice so hopefully someone who has done 2 or 4 can share their experience
I will try to track down a discussion but in the meantime I am hoping those that have will see this post.

Lianne

Posted by CDKam on Dec 5, 2019 6:54 pm

Lianne_adminCCS‍ Yes, getting some more information would be good. My chest skin was badly damaged by the radiation, as was my underarm. My first case of cellulitis was even before the implants went in! “New” skin would be ideal, but not sure that will be possible. I’ll have to see what the PS has to say in the New Year.

Re being lopsided

Posted by Scared on Dec 5, 2019 8:14 pm

Wendy Tea
I often look for your replies as I find what you say to be very encouraging.  I totally agree with the less foreign objects the better but I'm not as brave as others that go forward with reconstruction.  I mean that's more surgery, more drainage tubes and more recovery time. 
I'm still without a proper fake boob myself.  Can I ask where you got it?  Or what company makes it??
I can manage a few hours in a sports bra with foam filler on flat side but any longer and I'm in pain so I'm happy it's cold enough to wear layers and drape scarf over one side. 
But I have yet to find a 'fake' that makes me look reasonably normal.   Have get to start on those hormone pills the doc gave me.  Worried about the side effects.  Just had a bone density scan so wanted to see if it's clear first but everyone tells me I should just take the pills and wait and see.

Posted by Wendy Tea on Dec 6, 2019 12:49 am

Scared‍ , I googled "breast prosthesis " and then selected a store near me. The brand I purchased is Amoena, I think. I know the nurses and social workers can direct you to a location near you. I also believe there are locations where used ones are for sale. Getting properly fitted us really important.

Cheers
Wendy Tea