Time To Diagnosis

Time To Diagnosis

Posted by so_chickadee on Oct 9, 2019 12:20 pm

Hello everyone. I hope you are all enjoying this wonderful autumn, and the weather is good where you are.
Share the timeline for your diagnosis here, and whether there was/wasn't a delay. Between my first "suspicious" breast MRI and the day of diagnosis there were good 6 months of waiting & procedures. It took that long because some doctors preferred to follow a "wait and see" approach. This allowed my tumor to grow. But I was lucky to have phenomenal medical team who listened to me, and my cancer was diagnosed at an early stage anyways. I will always be grateful to the doctors for their professionalism and outstanding patient care. Please share how your road to diagnosis looked like. ❤

Re: Time To Diagnosis

Posted by Catherine6666 on Oct 9, 2019 12:26 pm

so_chickadee‍ ,

How you doing right now? I will see MO today. Hopefully some good analysis from him.

Posted by LPPK on Oct 9, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello so_chickadee‍   While going from mammogram recall to end of radiation it seemed at the time to take forever, yet it actually was 5 1/2 months altogether. My IDC breast cancer was found at an early stage during a routine every two year mammogram.   My cancer journey included; core biopsy, lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy, Oncotype DX test, and radiation.  

Posted by frozenstar on Oct 9, 2019 2:35 pm

I felt a lump August 10th, called Dr., biopsy done the next day, formal Dr. diagnosis on Aug. 17th. Stage 2 IDC. ER+ pr+ Her2 equivocal
lumpectomy w sentinel node biopsy Sep 23rd. 
Oct 3rd? Got results from lumpectomy
Tumor 5.5mm..2 positive lymph nodes...another tumor 3.mm..microcalcifications all over...apparently a mess, lol...so.
Mastectomy tomorrow morning
in 4-6 weeks chemo begins
He doesn't think I need radiation possibly depending on mastectomy report (yaaay)

Posted by mc2 on Oct 9, 2019 8:02 pm

frozenstar‍ what a roller coaster! will be thinking of you tomorrow. keep up the positive outlook (no radiation - yeah ;)

Posted by so_chickadee on Oct 9, 2019 9:02 pm

Hey Catherine6666

Wow, seems we're day to day in our treatment plans! I did see my oncologist today as well! How are you doing? Any recommendations from your MO?

Posted by so_chickadee on Oct 9, 2019 9:14 pm

frozenstar

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Let it goes smoothly. Ijust had mine in September and it turned not so bad as expected. You can do this. ❣

Posted by Essjay on Oct 10, 2019 7:32 am

Hi so_chickadee‍ I saw my doc with a lump 19 June 2018, had a mammogram and ultrasound on 20 June, Biopsy 19 July, diagnosis July 30 - TNBC. Lumpectomy 11 October, Port placed 17 December, chemo started 19 December - 30 April, Radiation 7 May - 4 June 2019...

It felt like a lot of waiting for my biopsy, for surgery, for chemo to start, but be reassured that cancer grows slowly...

Best wishes

Selena

Posted by Treepeo on Oct 10, 2019 9:16 am

Hi so_chickadee‍,

I didn't have a family doctor when I first noticed a problem with my breast.  I had to wait 1.5 months to meet with my new doctor, and then another week to meet again to specifically deal with my breast.  Once she examined me, her office was able to arrange a mammogram and ultrasound the same day, and by the time I got home from those tests, my new GP called me to tell me I had breast cancer in both breasts.  I had a battery of about 8 different tests within the next two weeks and by the end of that month, I had started chemo.  So I was extremely fortunate in terms of a timeline for diagnosis and treatment.  And when my oncologist wants me to have further CT scans or the like, I get them on a timely basis.

It's unfortunate that even with such swift diagnosis and treatment, I was still at stage 4 with mets in my lungs.  But I believe I am getting the best treatment possible, and I am extremely grateful to all of the health care workers who are helping me get through this.  They are all terrific.

Posted by Marsh on Oct 10, 2019 10:39 am

I went for a routine mammogram on Jan. 25th 2018. Was recalled 3 days later for an ultrasound and second mammogram.  Was told then I needed a biopsy which took place on Feb. 12th. On Feb 19th I was told it was IDC,
It took until March 6th before I was able to see my surgeon. (many of them were on vacation during March break, and one was off due to a death in the family) In the end I found a surgeon that I loved and was very happy to have him perform my lumpectomy on March 28th. Surgery went very well. After recovery and the Oncotype DX test results I had a PICC line inserted and a Muga Scan then I started AC chemo on June 12th. 4 treatments, every two weeks. That ended on July 25th. After a few weeks rest I started radiation. 25 whole breast treatments and 5 boosts for a total of 30. I have just finished on Oct. 8th 2019. I have a Zometta infusion every 6 months and  follow up appointments for Jan. and March 2020. Also take Letrozole now for 5 years. Whew that sounds tiring now but actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have been very lucky in that I felt well all the way through. Much to be Thankful for this year!

Posted by Vic96 on Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm

I was due for a regular mammogram last October. Got the appointment about 6 weeks later. A suspicious mass was identified. From there it took another 2 months for biopsies and an MRI and I finally received my diagnosis in late January of this year. Altogether about 4 months to receive the diagnosis. 

Posted by Highwater on Oct 11, 2019 7:40 am

Hi so_chickadee‍,
i found my lump in April this year, saw my GP, late April, had mammograms, ultrasounds May 9, then CT scan followed by biopsy. My diagnosis was May 31. Mastectomy was June 25, in the middle of chemo right now to be followed by radiation. Because my IDC is HER2+ I’ll have Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks for a year. 
Good luck on your journey. I hope it’s more straightforward from now on. My mastectomy went well and I recovered pretty quickly. Wishing the same for you. 
Take care of yourself,
Helen
Helen

Posted by so_chickadee on Oct 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Highwater:
Hi so_chickadee‍,
i found my lump in April this year, saw my GP, late April, had mammograms, ultrasounds May 9, then CT scan followed by biopsy. My diagnosis was May 31. Mastectomy was June 25, in the middle of chemo right now to be followed by radiation. Because my IDC is HER2+ I’ll have Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks for a year. 
Good luck on your journey. I hope it’s more straightforward from now on. My mastectomy went well and I recovered pretty quickly. Wishing the same for you. 
Take care of yourself,
Helen

Thank you so much! Best wishes back to you. ❤

Posted by so_chickadee on Oct 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Best wishes & hugs. ☺

Posted by JustJan on Oct 12, 2019 7:14 am

My screening mammogran was January 11th this year, and was called back to have biopsy January 17th. Told I had cancer January 25th. Surgical consult was February 4th and Surgery was February 26th.  Post op followup March 18th. Took a much needed two week vacation. Referral to Oncologist April 15th. Radiation prep May 1st, radiation started May 13th. Mass identified on ovary May 8th. Surgical consult May 15th.  Finished radiation June 4 and had surgery June 11th. Started chemo July 15th.  I also had multiple tests and scans and other appointments in that timeframe as well.  
I cannot complain at all about the timeliness of my treatment.  I feel everything was expedited appropriately for me.  

Posted by Catherine6666 on Oct 12, 2019 2:15 pm

JustJan‍ ,

I met MO first time last week, still have not decided chemo or not, waiting for oncotype dx score. Meanwhile, was told chemo must start at first, so no way to do radiotherapy at first, while have much time for chemo decision. 

But sounds you start radiotherapy at first, so many different options, limited knowledge, and difficult to meet MO.  

Posted by JustJan on Oct 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Catherine6666‍, it is a little confusing because I have both breast and ovarian cancer. When I first met my oncologist, she offered chemo as an insurance policy for my breast cancer. Since I was stage 1 and had clear margins and nodes I declined chemo and proceeded with radiation.  When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer then I needed to proceed with chemo.  Luckily ovarian was stage 1 as well.  If you need chemo for breast cancer it is usually done first and then followed by radiation.  Hope this helps.

Posted by Catherine6666 on Oct 12, 2019 6:33 pm

JustJan‍ , thanks!

Posted by Orangeleo on Oct 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Did anyone have a PETCT  scan? If not, why not

Posted by Vic96 on Oct 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Hello Orangeleo, 
I have had the same question for a while. I was told that a PET or CT scan is not suitable in my case as it might lead to unnecessary biopsies, like a lung biopsy. 
I had a mastectomy in February with two lumps removed, 1cm each, invasive ductal and lobular carcinoma, respectively. No lymph node involvement, clear margins. Currently on Tamoxifen. 
I am still wondering if a scan might be beneficial at some point. 
Wondering if others in this wonderful community of support have any thoughts to share on this. 
Thanks,

Posted by JustJan on Oct 21, 2019 10:20 am

Orangeleo‍, I have had a bone scan and several CT scans but no PET scan.  It is a very expensive test and is not used routinely for breast cancer, especially if it wouldn't change the course of treatment.  If you think you need one, I would discuss with your Oncologist and they will give you their opinion on whether is necessary and if not, why not.

Posted by so_chickadee on Oct 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Orangeleo 

I think PET scan is reserved for those with an advanced stage, correct me if I am wrong.