Mammogram after completing treatments

Mammogram after completing treatments

Posted by Marsh on Oct 8, 2019 9:34 pm

Just curious. For those who have completed their treatments, how long after did you have your next mammogram?

Re: Mammogram after completing treatments

Posted by Essjay on Oct 9, 2019 7:27 am

Hi Marsh‍ I finished chemo in April, radiation in June, and I'm scheduled for my first follow-up mammogram in mid-November with n appointment with my radiation oncologist the following week.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Misueno on Oct 9, 2019 8:47 am

My mammogram in November 2017 started the journey, followed by biopsy, 2 surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation. In November 2018 I had my next mammogram and am scheduled for another November 1st this year. 

Posted by KathyH on Oct 9, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi Marsh. I had my mammogram November 2018 and biopsy Dec 17. Chemo, surgery and radiation. Radiation doc said 2 months after, oncologist gave me no answer. Spend the morning making my own calls. It's suppose to be once a year. I am not booked and oncologist has not sent in referral. I'm having my family doc do the referral. My oncologist isn't on point. I called our local clinic and you can call OBSP to see if you're in the system if not family doc or oncologist need to send the referral for annual. 

Posted by LPPK on Oct 9, 2019 2:07 pm

Hello Marsh‍ .  I finished my radiation in Jan. 2018 and had my first "after" mammogram July 2018.  I've had my second one July 2019.  It will be yearly for me for 5 years at least.

Posted by dmarie on Oct 9, 2019 2:19 pm

Hello Marsh‍ 

I had surgery last December.Chemo over the winter. Radiation finished at end of June. My first follow=up mammogram was August 22nd. The surgeon ordered it. 

Del

Posted by Marsh on Oct 9, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks everyone for responding. I just finished my Radiation yesterday! Yippee! I have an appointment with my radiation oncologist in January and my Oncologist in early March, but no one has mentioned mammogram to me.  So I was wondering what the norm is. Looks like 6 months after the end of treatment is normal from your responses.

Posted by Marsh on Mar 20, 2020 1:56 pm

Well I had my 1st post treatment mammogram this morning! Almost exactly 1 year since my surgery in March of 2019 and 6 months since I finished treatments. And now I wait again for the results. I have no particular reason to be worried, but to be honest I am quite anxious !  It's like reliving the beginning all over again! And the hospital was very eerie! Like a ghost town only with guards at the door asking you a million questions and others obviously afraid to get near you!

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Sending you positive vibes Marsh‍  while you wait for your results.
I hope you can find some fun distraction while you wait to hear back

Thanks for letting us know

Lianne

Posted by Whitelilies on Mar 21, 2020 11:45 am

Marsh‍ Hello
Wishing you the best......I TOO have SAME feelings.....
Went to hospital for 6 month/check CT scan......hospital was eery......TONS of security roaming about......TONS of questions......NO one took my temperature....
Now I too will "await" results......from? Oncologist? (he must be swamped.....) Family Dr (Ofc closed).....Survivorship Clinic Nurse (My follow up appt is cancelled)...

ANXIETY IS HIGH.......it TRULY is like the "beginning".....living it all over again....what if?  who will call?  will anyone call?

Gentle Suggestion:  If possible in your area.....sign up for Getting Your Results On-Line!
I just did.....it shows "Pending".....so I MIGHT peek at results......gotta get the courage!

Keep well,
Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by Marsh on Mar 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Whitelilies‍  It's horrible isn't it? The waiting. It's like here we go again! I didn't know it was possible to get those kind of results online. I do get lab results (blood work etc.)  How would I do that? I'm in Southern Ontario

Posted by Karla on Mar 21, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi Everyone,  Good luck to you and may your outcome be a healthy one. so glad to find this post. I am in between radiation completed end of January 2020 and first mamogram.  Had a lumpectomy July 2 2019. 13 lymph nodes removed on right side. No cancer spread found, clear margins and all.  BUT now lump  Sensations are coming back. I can't tell if there is internal scarring or a lump forming. my oncologist appointment was postponed because they were ill... I just want to know if anyone felt like this too, and if imaging from radiation would have picked up problems? thanks so much for reading, no one else to talk to.

Posted by Marsh on Mar 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Karla‍  It is most likely scar tissue. I could feel it around my scar as well. My oncologist examined me at my 6 month check and said she thought all was fine. Also radiation can leave the treated breast tissue feeling much firmer than before.  I also had some odd pulling sensations under my breast that she said was most likely from the radiation. Remember it wasnt only affecting cancer but healthy cells as well. From what I've read and been told, it can months to years to fully recover from and some are left with permanent gifts.
Do you have a contact at the cancer centre you could call and talk to about it just to ease some anxiety?

Posted by Whitelilies on Mar 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Marsh‍ Hello
mypockethealth.com

it is offered at North York General Hospital (Toronto).
I am unsure about other hospitals.
There were LOTS of flyers/posters all over waiting areas, so I signed up!  All Free!
I can see CT scan results.....I will "assume" mammograms too.

Regards
Lillian 

Posted by Karla on Mar 21, 2020 2:10 pm

ok Marsh good to know.  I will call BC Cancer on Monday.  I hate to bother them at this time, they must be so busy.
Thank you..

Posted by Wendy Tea on Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Karla‍  Great picture of blossoms and tulips! I hope you can enjoy the gorgeous weather and the first weekend of spring. My lump was found on a routine mammogram,  then I was recalled for a site specific one with ultrasound.  I know the wait was horrific but looking back it left me spinning with the speed of what happened next. I was diagnosed last March, had a single mammogram January 2nd which was clear, and now I am living my best life....kind of....at home! But I got out for a walk today. What worked for me was keeping busy until I could reach the medical team.  Please let us know what happens. 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Posted by Karla on Mar 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi Wendy,  will do. oh my photo was from last year. This time of year the flowers are a sympahony of colors... even when it rains. I have always found them inspirational  this year more than ever.