Breast cancer with mets

Breast cancer with mets

Posted by Orangeleo on Aug 26, 2019 5:26 pm

My daughter had stage 3 breast cancer 3 years ago. I would like her to have a pet st scan. to catch any mets earlier. Why is this not recommended??

Re: Breast cancer with mets

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Aug 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Hello Orangeleo‍ ,
welcome to Cancerconnections.  I’m sorry to hear about your daughters diagnosis.  
That must be very stressful for any parent.
it sounds like she made it thru the cancer diagnosis with success and is now on the other side.  Is she concerned about follow up care?
i have metastatic or stage four breast cancer.  It was diagnosed via pathology from a surgery, then ultrasound, MRI, bone scan and cat scan.  I have never had a pet scan.
you refer to finding Mets early, but, once breast cancer cells have found a way to grow in a distant organ, and you receive a stage four diagnosis, you are still terminal.  There is no going back to a “curable” stage.
while all the tests available provide tremendous detail to the medical team, to deal with disease and its progression, there are risks associated with each scan type.  
It’s my understanding that access to all of these methods of investigation are limited for that reason.  But, I am just a patient and I am sure a doctor could provide a better explanation of their protocols and standard of care.

Posted by Orangeleo on Aug 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Thank you very.much, Elizabeth 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Orangeleo‍ 

I understand your concern for your daughter and wanting to get ahead of mets. Elizabeth06‍  has given you an excellent response. Further to that your daughter may want to have a conversation with her GP or oncologist. For some possible perspective, I completed treatment for breast cancer 8 years ago and have never had a PET scan

I hope your daughter is doing well now

Lianne

Posted by frozenstar on Oct 9, 2019 11:11 pm

I had a ct scan today and they found a mass that they think is another tumor. I am being scheduled for a PET scan asap, hopefully tomorrow. I am,new to this journey, I was diagnosed Aug 17th with stage 2 IDC, but I think now I am stage 4, though that's not official yet. ...I don't enough about the different tests to know why they do what they do...trying to read and figure things out, but its tough..all I can do is trust them.

Posted by Kims1961 on Oct 9, 2019 11:34 pm

frozenstar‍ You make an excellent point in your post.  When i was first diagnosed and thrusted into this cancer world with no preparation - feeling scared and lost - my brother who has a friend that is a chief oncologist - told him to tell me - Just Work the Plan.  Cancer continues to get alot of attention and research dollars.  There are many treatment options and new trials . Ask questions, keep track of responses, connect here and reach out to your medical team when you have questions.  It is a partnership.

Thank you for your post.  Kim