Just joined

Just joined

Posted by bribee on Jul 11, 2019 9:57 am

Hi all! I’ve been recently diagnosed with Infiltrative Duct Carcinoma (type of breast cancer). It’s very new, I am waiting to get scheduled in for an MRI and then meet with the surgeon. I know that support from and talking with people going through similar experiences is very beneficial, so I wanted to get a head start on finding communities. I’m looking forward to reading people’s stories and other information that is shared. 

Re: Just joined

Posted by ashcon on Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am

Hi bribee
Hello and welcome  I joined this site about 2 years ago after my own diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma (also called infiltrative ductal carcinoma) and found tremendous support here; the kind not offered by our fine (but very busy  doctors.
(I just realized that it was exactly 2 years ago today (Jul 12) that I got my diagnosis.) 

How are you holding up? I recall those first few weeks so difficult, alternating between stoicism, panic, fear, anger, and a whole lot of sleepless nights. 

I was treated at Grand River Cancer Centre in southern Ontario. 
Where are you being treated? 

PS: if you want to tag a member in one of your posts so that they see your message, simply type "@" symbol before the first few letters of their username, and you can select them from the list that appears. 

Do you know what surgery you will be having? 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 12, 2019 11:57 am

Welcome bribee‍ 

I'm so glad to see you have connected with ashcon‍!

I am going to move your post to our Breast Cancer forum where you can find even more support!

ashcon‍ - Two years! I think it's a good sign that you just realized and it wasn't pressing on your mind! 

Posted by Marsh on Jul 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Welcome bribee‍ 
Although this is last place you expected to be, you will be glad you did. I also remember those first few weeks after diagnosis. I was scared out of my mind. The waiting was terrible. Try to stay busy and know you can come here and talk with people who know what you are going through! I also was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I had a lumpectomy done which went very well. I healed very quickly with no complications at all and I am very pleased with the cosmetic results. I am now just passed treatment #3 of 4 Chemo which has not been difficult at all!  Then I will either do more chemo or radiation followed by Hormonal therapy. This forum has been a big help to me so please reach out to all here. There is much information and great support!

Posted by Essjay on Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Welcome bribee‍ 

Im sure your head is full of questions - plenty of experience among us here.

best wishes

Essjay

Posted by JustJan on Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Marsh‍ What type of chemo are you taking?  I start Monday and am pleased yours is going well.  

Posted by Marsh on Jul 13, 2019 7:12 am

bribee‍ I am doing 4 treatments of AC which includes the drugs doxorubicin hydrochloride (Adriamycin) and cyclophosphamide, I also do 8 shots of  Grastofil starting on day 3 to help prevent a low white blood cell count. Once I have this completed it will be decided if I continue with Taxol. I have one more dose of AC to complete. It has been so much easier than I had thought. I've been feeling really well, just slightly tired days 1&2 after treatment. Wishing the same for you. Let us know how you do.

Posted by Marsh on Jul 13, 2019 7:15 am

Sorry I guess I tagged the wrong person. JustJan‍ I believe my post should have been directed to you.

Posted by bribee on Jul 13, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks all! 

Marsh‍ the waiting has definitely been the worst part and my tumor has grown between the ultrasounds/mammograms to the biopsy, to now. My biopsy results did indicate moderately to poorly indicated infiltrative duct carcinoma, which just stresses me more during the waiting phases. It's hard to not have control over what's happening in my body and immediately work to fix it!

ashcon‍ two years wow! How are things now? I am in Regina, Saskatchewan. I've already had a good experience with my surgeon's office, really good communication which has been wonderful. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday night and then we go from there. I don't know what surgery options will be recommended as of yet, but I am guessing it will be a double mastectomy. The tumor size alone I think will warrant a full mastectomy, and I think it would just be best to do them both. I'll have to see what the surgeon says though and look more into other people's experiences and recommendations. 

Posted by ashcon on Jul 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi bribee
That's great that you are being so well treated by your surgeon. The relationship(s) with our medical team is so crucial.
And so subjective too. I had a not-so-great experience with my surgeon after he overlooked the lymph nodes that were obviously positive for cancer based on the mammo and ultrasound, telling me they "were of no concern". When they became a concern while I was on chemo, I switched to another surgeon to remove those pesky lymph nodes, who I was thrilled with, but others didn't like so much. 
Just goes to show that surgeons are human too, and our frame of mind or expectations play a role in the relationships we build with our team. 

Glad you are doing research on surgical options. Knowledge is power, my friend. 
This link on Breast Cancer Surgery options sheds some light on the topic. 

I opted for double mastectomy (no reconstruction) myself after I learned that the lumpectony I had wasn't aggressive enough treatment to ease my mind. I also had both chemo and radiation. 
The whole treatment plan took about 9 months to get through.  I am doing well, now, thanks for asking. I got the "no evidence of disease" card 15 months ago after my initial stage III diagnosis, and still going by that verdict unless told otherwise!

Good luck with the MRI on Tuesday. Are they doing other scans (eg CT scans) as well?