Stage 2 breast cancer

Stage 2 breast cancer

Posted by Susan lea on Jul 9, 2019 11:34 am

My oncologist told me that at I'm on the line to have chemo. Its stage 2 and was in one sentenal node. Anyone out there ever been faced with this decision. To have chemo pr not. It would be 8 treatments over 4 months.

Re: Stage 2 breast cancer

Posted by Treepeo on Jul 9, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi Susan lea‍ 

I have Stage 3 cancer in both breasts and left lymph nodes, so I had no choice but to have chemo.  But if I found myself in your position, I would definitely opt to have chemo.  In fact, I am a little confused as to why chemo seems to be optional in your case.  If you don't have chemo, then what are the alternatives for dealing with the cancer?  What did your oncologist say?

Posted by Veryhappilyretired on Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi Susan lea‍ 
Sorry you have such a tough decision to make.
My cancer was ER positive with micrometastasis in the sentinel lymph node. 
The doctor ordered an Oncotype DX test to see how likely a recurrence would be with and without chemo. 
In my particular case it turned out chemo was not necessary and I got away with just surgery and radiation.  
It might be a conversation worth having.  Good luck!
Karen

Posted by Susan lea on Jul 10, 2019 10:30 pm

He said that radation and hormone therapy were a go of o decide not to have chemo

Posted by Pickles on Jul 11, 2019 10:04 am

I also had Stage 2 cancer.  Mine was triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma.  2 lymph nodes cancerous with a 2.5 cm primary cancer right under the right nipple.  No choice, so I had 4 months of chemo followed by 16 radiation treatments.  Now on Zoledronic Acid IV every 6 months for 5 years.

I feel confident that my team knew what they were doing and am very positive and enjoying life to the fullest.

Trusting your team is quite important and having a good support system with you will make the cancer journey easier to go through.  And above all else, keep your sense of humour!

Posted by LindaGun on Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am

I have Stage 1a IDC and my team isn’t sure if I really need Chemo.  They’ve sent the tumour off for testing and I’ll have the treatment plan July 22.  I will also ask to see all the data and reasons if Chemo is not advised.

Posted by LPPK on Jul 11, 2019 2:33 pm

LindaGun‍  You mention that your tumor was sent off for testing.  Is it for the Oncotype DX testing?
I had IDC early stage  and had the Oncotype DX testing done and got results back  that show a 10 year risk of distant recurrence after 5 years of Tamoxifen.  and a prediction of chemotherapy benefit after 5 years of tamoxifen.  Both are listed on graphs comparing Tamoxifen alone against Tamoxifen and Chemo.  I was in the low risk recurrence category and  I felt reassured by the results that my treatment plan of radiation without chemo was the correct way to go. 

Posted by LindaGun on Jul 11, 2019 5:41 pm

LPPK‍ 

I asked the nurse if the test was the Oncotype but it’s another one.....I believe it was called Prosigna but I’m not sure.....I’ll find out July 22.   The waiting is driving me nuts.

Posted by LPPK on Jul 11, 2019 7:08 pm

LindaGun‍   I didn't realize there are different tests to check for cancer recurrence.  In Study Compares Four Genomic tests for Breast Cancer   the Breast Cancer Index test, the Oxcotype DX test, the Prosigna Breast Cancer Prognostic Gene Signature Assay (formerly called the PAM50 test, and the EndoPredict test  where compared and "the bottom line is that all the tests do a pretty good job of estimating the risk of late distant recurrence for early-stage, hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer".

I found that keeping busy with things that keep your mind occupied helped to pass the long waits.

Posted by LindaGun on Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

LPPK‍  I certainly try, but currently being off my fast-paced job and my volunteering shifts doesn’t help......I’m used to being busy!  I just hope the treatment plan follows my wishes.  😀

Posted by Bambam on Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi...I was also diagnosed with stage 11..no lymph node involvement.. OncotypeDX score 12........no chemo...no radiation..
tried anastrozole and tamoxifin...but side effects.that started and were going to happen ongoing....re: osteoporosis, endometrial problems etc etc...I took myself off..after a lot of research...only take regular vitamins...eat super healthy!!!!...lots of flax, cruciferous  vegetables and fruits....green and matcha teas!!!   increased my exercise (pilates. Yoga, and step classes) and walking in between....seems to be working! Also found a great doc that is working with me!!!! Not pill pushing like the first guy!!1AND enjoy an occasional glass of red Wine!!!   Good luck.....trust your own judgement!!!1

Posted by Marsh on Jul 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Sorry you're having to make this decision. I was diagnosed with stage 1a Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, no node involvement. In the beginning I was I would need a lumpectomy and then radiation but no chemo. However after the pathology report came back from surgery it found that the tumour was a grade 3. My oncologist sent a sample to have the Oncotype DX test done in California. When it came back the results showed that I would benefit from
Chemotherapy. Based on those results and after much discussion with my doctor and doing some research I decided to go with the Chemo. I was very nervous, but I can honestly say now Chemo has been no big deal for me.
Day of chemo and day 2 I am a little tired but that's it! I just had my 3rd treatment yesterday and all is well. I have one more to go of the AC and then I will see my oncologist to discuss if any more is required. The plan was for 4 of the AC and then we would discuss any further chemo or radiation and Hormonal therapy. Have you discussed the Oncotype DX  test with your Doctor. It helped me to validate my decision. I'm happy I had it done.  Hope you are able to make a decision you are comfortable with.
`