Stage 1A, Grade 3, Positive Invasion!?

Stage 1A, Grade 3, Positive Invasion!?

Posted by LindaGun on Jun 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Today I met with my surgeon to review my Pathology results.  

- Invasive ductal carcinoma, NOS, bifocal
- Associated Grade 3 Ductal carcinoma in Situ,
- sentinel lymph nodes negative
-  both timeouts grade 3
- positive for lymphatic vascular invasion
- ER/PR +, HER2 -

Did anyone here have a similar report?  I’m trying to understand it all and what to prepare for.  Ive related myself to having Radiation, but not Chemo.  Positive for lymphatic vascular invasion.....does this mean they did see cancer cells?  

Re: Stage 1A, Grade 3, Positive Invasion!?

Posted by Marsh on Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi I found this on www.cancer.org   It may be helpful

"If cancer cells are seen in small blood vessels or lymph vessels (lymphatics) under the microscope, it is called vascular, angiolymphatic, or lymphovascular invasion. When cancer is growing in these vessels, there is an increased risk that it has spread outside the breast. If your report does not mention this type of invasion, it means it is not there. Even if it is there, it does not always mean that your cancer has spread. How this finding affects your treatment is best discussed with your doctor."
 I think this if best talked over with your doctor. So many results seem to suggest things that may or may not be the case. Have you done an Oncotype test yet?

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi LindaGun‍ 

I had similar pathology for SOME of the results listed here. There are so many variables subtle and otherwise that can be found on a pathology report. Pathology results can be very confusing for sure. It seems that you may have not have got all the information that you needed today. Are you able to followup with the surgeon with further questions?
I am including a downloadable brochure that explains all the different aspects . At the end of the brochure is a list of questions that you may want to clarify with your surgeon or oncologist if you have an appointment with him/her soon.

Breast cancer pathology handout ( the pamphlet download is at the bottom of the page )

We also have a webinar on this site on staging and grading that may be helpful. It can be found here   ( it is the first on the list )
What is your next step planned?

Lianne

Posted by LindaGun on Jun 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Hey Lianne,

I can’t open that link....says server can’t be found.  My surgeon said my Oncologist will have more info and treatments and prognosis.

Posted by LindaGun on Jun 12, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks for the info Marsh!   No, I haven’t done that test yet, but my surgeon mentioned it and said to discuss it with the Oncologist.  I found some other info on a cancer site that talked about treatment options for different cancer scenarios and with Grade 3 and invasion it said Chemo followed by Radiation.  Of course I realize that it’s so individualized, but I’d rather be somewhat prepared.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 13, 2019 1:28 am

LindaGun‍ 

Thanks for the heads up. I have fixed the link - -the handout is at the bottom of the page and is downloadable
Sorry for that

Lianne

Posted by LindaGun on Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks so much Lianne!!!!   What a great booklet!!!  I’m so glad I joined this group, I   am learning so much and feel so much better prepared.  Plus, since the surgeon decided to keep me off work at least until I have my Oncology consult, info gathering keeps me busy.  You are a wealth of information.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm

LindaGun‍ 
And we are so glad to have you! I am glad you found it and the community helpful. By posing your questions here, you are also helping others who are following along, behind and beside you.

Lianne

PS - if you want to tag someone as I have here ( screen name in blue ) , type the @ sign and then proceed to start typing their screen name. When you see it on the list, select it. That person will receive a notification that they have been tagged.