Double mastectomy

Double mastectomy

Posted by Nicky65 on May 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Hello all my friends. I had my db mastectomy  last monday and everything went well all drains were removed yesterday. Pain is minimal but I have alot of burning sensation where my nipples used to be.They say its nerves healing.HAs this happened to anyone out there and what did you do to ease the pain?

Re: Double mastectomy

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 15, 2019 10:31 am

Hi Nicky65‍ 

Good to hear from you! Glad to hear your surgery is behind you!

ashcon‍, Mamabear2012‍, prairiemom‍, Lulubelle‍ any experience with burning sensations?

Nicky- I hope this subsides for you soon. 

Lacey

Posted by ashcon on May 15, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Nicky65

Congratulations on doing so well with your surgery  and for having drains removed so quickly! (the last of my 3 drains was so stubborn... It was in there for over 3 weeks until they eventually (literally) ripped it out from me because they needed to start radiation!) 

I have experienced post mastectomy pain syndrome  but not any burning sensation where the nipples once resided. 
However  I don't think it's uncommon according to this article, 
Post Mastectomy Pain Hits a Nerve

If it's truly debilitating,  I'd suggest calling your surgeon's office and see what they say. 
When do you go for your post surgery follow up? 

Posted by Mamabear2012 on May 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi Nicky65‍ 
I don’t remember having a burning sensation, but I did have a lot of pain and a pulling feeling in my chest for a long while after. My surgeon told me there are a lot of nerves and muscles that have been disrupted, so it takes awhile to heal.  I had my mastectomy in January and am still tender in a few areas. I think any new or lingering pain is worth mentioning to your surgeon. Even if they tell you it’s normal, it’s at least noted and can be monitored. I would moisturize my chest a lot and that helped with the pulling feeling in my skin. I also found stretching helped a lot as well. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. 

Posted by Minus2 on May 16, 2019 6:48 am

I didn't have pain in any one area Nicky65‍ , rather I had "zingers" that travelled across my chest.  They felt like an electric shock.  I didn't really do anything to control or manage them.  They were quick and inconsistent and they did subside in the weeks following my surgery.  Hope your pain lessens quickly.

Posted by Lauren55 on May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Nicky65‍  hi I also had a bmx ,  June 2017.  I had the odd zinger and weird pains off and on.  I found if I used cream the massage helped.  I also found if I just shifted my position a bit the nerve would stop.  I still have to do that now sometimes.  Not often anymore and after my next surgery I suspect it will be gone.  My radiated side capsulated and causes some pain.  Thing is now I am cancer free I have to go on the waiting list which is over a year. I don't mind waiting even though my chest looks odd and there is pain because I know if I had cancer I would be bumped up to a couple days wait.  Sorry, I rambled.  

Try shifting your position of you body and moving your arms to a different position.  Definitely massage with cream  I use my radiation cream  Aveeno unscented.  And as suggested make sure you tell your doctors they may have suggestions or a solution.

Posted by Lulubelle on May 24, 2019 12:27 am

I had my double mastectomy on May 13 and j have similar sensations.  They come and go.  I'm chalking it up to nerves healing.  I'm having more trouble with muscle tightness and spasms in my neck and back.  Gonna ask ask doctor for some muscle relaxers I think.