Just been dignose with breast Cancer

Re: Just been dignose with breast Cancer

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 13, 2019 10:54 am

Hi Lianne,
I am in Markham Ontario, however I go to Centenary Hospital for surgery and treatment. (Scarborough) is there any meet up groups in theses area. I am home on sick leave.

Thanks  

Posted by ashcon on Jun 13, 2019 11:37 am

Hi Cancer I will win‍ 

Post surgery fluid build up is not unusual.  I had both a lumpectomy + SLNB, then 6 months later a full bilateral mastectomy with 17 more nodes removed. In both cases, there was fluid build up, but it was managed by doing the exercises recommended for post breast cancer surgery patients. (I've attached the exercise guide that was incredibly helpful to me).
My surgeon explained it to me this way:  your body recognizes that a hole (or holes) were created with the removal of some tissue and tries to fill that hole(s) with fluid.

Sometimes this fluid build up can become a Seroma or lymphedema.  You are still early in your recovery, so don't push the panic button yet, but it's helpful to be aware of what symptoms to watch out for, for either seromas or lymphedema, and report anything suspicious to your medical team!

What is next for you re: appointments and treatment plan?

Ann (ashcon)
Attached files

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Cancer I will win‍ 

I don't know of any support groups in the area offhand. You may want to call our Cancer Information Service at 1-888-939-3333 and they can steer you in the direction of any resources that may be in your area. The social worker at the hospital where you are being treated will also be a good resource for services in the area.
A program you might be interested is called Peer Match. https://match.cancer.ca/  This is a program where you can search for a trained volunteer who has had a similar diagnosis and/or treatment. Once a match is made online, then you speak to the volunteer on a regular basis where they can share their experience and you can get support, information and the benefit of their experience. I used this program when I was diagnosed and then took the training to be a volunteer after I was 1 year out of treatment.

And of course we are all hear for you whenever you need.

I hope you are healing and recovering well.

Lianne

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Thank you Lianne and Ann, for the information and I will contact that site for a mentor, also do some more of those exercise. My next step is going back to my surgeon in two weeks time for result of Lumpectomy and SLNB and treatment plan.

Thank you..