Just been dignose with breast Cancer

Re: Just been dignose with breast Cancer

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 13, 2019 10:54 am

Hi Lianne,
I am in Markham Ontario, however I go to Centenary Hospital for surgery and treatment. (Scarborough) is there any meet up groups in theses area. I am home on sick leave.

Thanks  

Posted by ashcon on Jun 13, 2019 11:37 am

Hi Cancer I will win‍ 

Post surgery fluid build up is not unusual.  I had both a lumpectomy + SLNB, then 6 months later a full bilateral mastectomy with 17 more nodes removed. In both cases, there was fluid build up, but it was managed by doing the exercises recommended for post breast cancer surgery patients. (I've attached the exercise guide that was incredibly helpful to me).
My surgeon explained it to me this way:  your body recognizes that a hole (or holes) were created with the removal of some tissue and tries to fill that hole(s) with fluid.

Sometimes this fluid build up can become a Seroma or lymphedema.  You are still early in your recovery, so don't push the panic button yet, but it's helpful to be aware of what symptoms to watch out for, for either seromas or lymphedema, and report anything suspicious to your medical team!

What is next for you re: appointments and treatment plan?

Ann (ashcon)
Attached files

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Cancer I will win‍ 

I don't know of any support groups in the area offhand. You may want to call our Cancer Information Service at 1-888-939-3333 and they can steer you in the direction of any resources that may be in your area. The social worker at the hospital where you are being treated will also be a good resource for services in the area.
A program you might be interested is called Peer Match. https://match.cancer.ca/  This is a program where you can search for a trained volunteer who has had a similar diagnosis and/or treatment. Once a match is made online, then you speak to the volunteer on a regular basis where they can share their experience and you can get support, information and the benefit of their experience. I used this program when I was diagnosed and then took the training to be a volunteer after I was 1 year out of treatment.

And of course we are all hear for you whenever you need.

I hope you are healing and recovering well.

Lianne

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Thank you Lianne and Ann, for the information and I will contact that site for a mentor, also do some more of those exercise. My next step is going back to my surgeon in two weeks time for result of Lumpectomy and SLNB and treatment plan.

Thank you..

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello Everyone,
Just an update on my pathology results. My BC is at a stage 1, lymph nodes are negative and may margins are negative too, also it is a grade 3. I am awaiting to meet with the radiation and oncologist doctors. I am not sure if I have to do chemo or not but surely going to do radiation and Hormone therapy.
Anyone had similar diagnoses and what treatment did they have.

Also I went and did something with my hand I did surgery on and now I am having bleeding inside my breast. My doctor advise me to ice the area every 20 mins.
any advise on this.

Thank you.

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 26, 2019 12:02 pm

HellI need some help, I did surgery 4 weeks ago and I am waiting for an appointment with the oncology and radiation doctor. Can anyone give me some advised on how long they had to wait to see those doctor? I am living in  Markham area.

Thanks

Posted by KathyH on Jun 26, 2019 12:22 pm

I had my surgery and 2 weeks later got pathology results from her. Just saw radiation doc for tattooing. That's a month after surgery. Required me bugging. Very annoying but I have to advocate for myself and always ask. 2 - 3 weeks is norm for pathology results I believe. 

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 26, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi Cancer I will win‍ ,

I had my lumpectomy on May 23, 2018.  I saw my surgeon for follow up on June 18th (had to wait a week as he took vacation).  I then met the oncologist for the first time on July 18th and started chemo on July 31st.  The delay after surgery is typical as they want you to have a good 6 weeks of healing before starting treatment.  I was doing radiation after chemo and first saw the radiation doctor on November 23rd, started radiation December 18th.  

The waiting is the frustrating and hardest part of the whole thing.  Did they give you a call us day / phone number that if you've not heard by a specific date then you are to call them?  I was given this information but they always called me before their deadline.

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you Runner Girl‍  and KathyH‍  for the information.  I just saw my surgeon on the June 19, 2019 and he was going to do the referral, if  I don't hear from my surgeon by tomorrow I am going to contact them.

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jul 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Hello Family,
I just need to talk, I did surgery on May 28, 2019 had follow up with my surgeon on June 19, 2019  then an appointment with the radiation oncologist on the July 3, and oncologist July 5, 2019. I am still awaiting the oncontype DX test since July 5, 2019, I am on no treatment and just thinking what is happening inside my body.

The wait is so long seem I am waiting for one year.

Anyone can share their experience.

Posted by LPPK on Jul 24, 2019 10:53 am

Hello Cancer I will win‍ As I read your post I was nodding my head.  It just feels like time moves at a different pace when we are waiting for pathology results and for treatment to start. I found out I had breast cancer Aug 2017 and finally started radiation treatment Dec. 14, 2017.  The results for my Oncotype DX test took one month to return. but then I felt the information informed my treatment plan and one I felt was correct for me. 
I found having projects to keep me busy helped to pass the time.  I had lots of anxious energy to burn.
...I decluttered all my kitchen cupboards and closets in the house.  The silver lining to the waiting is that now my cupboards house only what I use and need,, and  places (Value Village, Salvation Army, Free cyle) got donations of still usable stuff.  Everyone one benefited
...SInce I was on sick leave from my surgery date (Sept 2017) onward my husband and I painted the walls in our kitchen, dining room, hall, bedroom and bathroom. New paint colours helped to brighten my mood.  The name of the paint colour in  the kitchen and dining room is Calm Thoughts.  Can't get better than that!
...I also had small crafty projects around the house that I could sit at for a short or long period of time which ever suited me (jigsaw puzzles, cross stitch, painting pictures, books to read)
...Walking daily in the fresh air and doing yoga helped my physical well being.
...I wrote my frustration and emotions in a journal and that helped to get the thoughts out of my head
I hope you will find out your treatment plan soon and get started on it.

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jul 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello Family,
Yesterday, I called the Hospital to follow up on my Oncontype DX result unfortunately the result was not ready. I was very sad. However apporoximatly 3:00 pm I got a call from the Hospital saying my result is in and if I want to come in at 8:45 am on July 24, 2019, I took the appointment. while waiting in the waiting room today I was very nervous but God is great. My result was 15 no chemo therapy, just radiation and hormone therapy. ,  

Thank you all for your encouragement

Posted by LPPK on Jul 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Cancer I will win‍ your shoulders must have lowered with the stress of the wait now over.  Glad to hear the results of the Oncotype DX test.  Do you know when you start your radiation therapy?

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jul 25, 2019 10:10 pm

I started hormone treatment today, and I email my radiation oncologist for the follow up, so I am expecting a call next week to go over the radiation plan.

Posted by LindaGun on Jul 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Cancer I will win‍ 

I am also waiting for Radiation treatments to start.  My Tumour testing results came back July 22 and radiation and hormone treatment was advised.  I started Anastrozole that night.  I just got the call July 24 for my Radiation consult which is Aug 6.  The waiting is difficult but I’m working on my patience with the process.    The clerk who called re the 815am Radiation Oncology appointment apologized that it was so early in the morning.   She seemed rather surprised how profusely I thanked her!  😁

Linda

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jul 27, 2019 1:43 pm

I got a call on Friday from Sunnybrook to come in on July 31, 2019 to do radiation  planning. I am so happy for that. I started Tamaxifen  treatment on July 25, 2019 and I am dizzy and headache I am going to call my doctor if it continue after a week.

Posted by LindaGun on Jul 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Cancer I will win‍ 

Do do you take the drug at night?   I found for myself it worked out better.   Good to hear you’re booked for the Radiation consult!

Posted by Cancer I will win on Jul 27, 2019 10:21 pm

I have change to taking the drug at night this is my second night and it is not bad. I also take drug for my thyroid in the morning, so I decided to take my B/C drug in the night.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by Cancer I will win on Aug 2, 2019 4:41 pm

My medication (Tamaxifen 20 mg) is going fine and I am getting ready for radiation treatment for in the next two weeks. is there anyone who can share their experience with radiation to the left breast can share. I went for my preparation and was schedule for the ABC treatment, however I could not hold my breath long enough so I am up for the one on my side in a mold, not sure what this is call.

Posted by Cancer I will win on Aug 5, 2019 4:06 pm

I did CT Scan on July 11, 2019 the results said in the low density mass in the left axilla and this may represent postoperative findings although lymphadenopathy cannot be excluded. Also there are several prominent lymph nodes in the left axilla measuring 6 mm in diameter and the presence of lymphadenopathy cannot be ruled out.
I did my surgery May 28, 2019 and the lymph nodes and margins were clear of cancer. I am very concern about the CT scan my family doctor call to discuss CT result and that he is concern so. I am to start radiation next week was not recommended for Chemo as my Oncontype DX test was 15.

Anyone out there had similar experience and can share.
thank you.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Aug 6, 2019 12:10 am

Cancer I will win‍ 
hello
I had radiation on the left breast. I also had an axillary dissection of the left armpit. I had 11 nodes removed and 2 or 3 were cancerous.
I had 28 radiation treatments after I completed chemo.
Is there something specific you were wondering about the radiation?

Lianne