Radiation induced breast cancer.

Radiation induced breast cancer.

Posted by Fitbunny on Mar 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Hello.  I was wondering if there is anyone out there in cyberspace that has had radiation induced breast cancer.  Radiation, the gift that keeps on giving!.  Cured me but 34 years later it has come back to haunt me.  Inbetween hasn't been a picnic but that's another story for another day.
Hope to hear from someone who has been through the same situation.
Thanks, Fitbunny.

Re: Radiation induced breast cancer.

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 30, 2019 8:20 am

Fitbunny‍ 

Hi, and welcome. Sorry you find you find yourself back among st us with another cancer.

I searched the site (just enter your search in the search discussions box) and came up with Survived99‍ who indicated a potentially radiation induced sarcoma cancer recurrence. I've copied the link for you below.

https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/77/56539?post_id=251591#p251591

The link below talks about your situation, and the associated risks of radiation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiAw5yg6KnhAhVFOK0KHYEVDHUQFjAOegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cancer.org%2Ftreatment%2Ftreatments-and-side-effects%2Fphysical-side-effects%2Fsecond-cancers-in-adults%2Fradiation-therapy.html&usg=AOvVaw15u87BuUxSoDQCti729Y8i

I have undergone many cancer treatments myself. Radiation is one of them. I had a recurrence myself (six months or so after finishing radiation). One oncologist suggested it may have been related to radiation, and the pathology report discounted that theory.

Many of us deal with the potential risks related to our various treatments. One good example I remember from my GP when talking about risk was when he said ":have you ever read the risks related to taking an aspirin?". Makes sense, and puts into perspective nothing is without risks.

A friend of mine has suffered breast cancer 4 times. The first was over 25 years ago, and due to radiation treatments, she suffered lung damage that has become progressively worse. The level of and duration of radiation back then was deemed the cause.

Shielding, reduced levels and greater ability to target radiation have reduced potential risks of new cancers. The link below is from the Canadian Cancer Society. It talks about radiation therapy. Look on pg. 56 and you will find discussions on late and long term side effects.

http://www.cancer.ca/~/media/cancer.ca/CW/publications/Radiation%20therapy/32056-1-NO.pdf

I hope this has helped you, and that anyone reading your post here that has had s similar situation responds.

Keep well

ACH2015

Posted by Survived99 on Mar 30, 2019 9:19 am

Fitbunny‍ 

Hello! 
I had Triple-negative Breast Cancer diagnosed in 1999 and was treated with radiation (as well as surgery and chemo). In 2015 I had a lump on my collar bone which was removed in 2016. The cancer did not look at all like the original one although some pathologists thought it was a recurrence. In the end, most of the pathologists and the breast oncologists determined that it was a radiation induced sarcoma. My oncologist says I'm cured of my original cancer - no chance of recurrence at this point.

One of the oncologists I saw told me about his cases of angiosarcoma in patients who had had radiation for their initial treatment of BC. I also have a friend who's mother is being treated for angiosarcoma due to radiation. That oncologist said that it is extremely rare, but a known risk of radiation. I was aware of it when I signed on in 2000.

My sarcoma grew out of the cells lining the nerves - a very rare sarcoma. Other than the surgery which had 100% clean margins, I have had no other treatment.

Have you had any treatments? 

Survived99

Posted by Fitbunny on Apr 14, 2019 12:14 am

Hello.  Sorry I haven't answered you since you wrote to me.  Life seems to get in the way of stuff.  I have had no other treatment except my bilateral mastectomy 7 months ago.  I will get regular blood tests and see my GP regularly and my cardiologist yearly or as needed.  My heart, stomach and scarring of my lungs are all due to my 2 months of radiation to cure Hodgkins Lymphoma 35 years ago.  The treatment of the day cured the disease and keeps on giving. I am grateful for the medical system and the knowledge I have acquired.  Being a medical secretary has it's advantages and disadvantages, but knowledge is power and I have grown into a very strong woman because of my medical history.  I hope you are well and my motto is enjoy every second of every second because life is short and if you  have money spend it because God knows you can't take it with you.  Keep well. Fitbunny

Re: Radiation induced breast cancer .....bilateral double mastectomy

Posted by posi on Jan 4, 2020 9:37 am

Hi. I too was diagnosed with Angiosarcoma (radiation induced breast cancer) in Aug of 2019. My previous breast cancer was13 years ago  Just joined connect recently, as a support for me as the cancer is very rare. I had a bilateral double mastectomy in Nov. of 2019 because I had cancer in the other breast as well. Talk about a double whammy! I was fortunate that the margins were clear and there was no metastasis. Anxious about what the next steps could be and will be....... also  wondering about chest sensation and tightness and will that change in time. Feels like I could pull a muscle very easily right now...ie. sports like pickle ball, even swimming. I’m sure yoga would be good. Maybe it’s just all about patience and time. Not sure of how far to push myself but I’m pretty sure my body will tell me!

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jan 4, 2020 10:47 am

posi‍ , my mastectomy was May 6 and I still experience tightness.  I make sure I continually stretch and also massage my chest.  This really seems to help. I also massage my arms throughout the day.  
Congratulations on such a successful story!
Wendy Tea 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Posted by posi on Jan 4, 2020 8:08 pm

Thank you! Recovery takes a long time and exercise is so imp. Still trying to maneuver site..........getting a lot of alerts that seem general and not specific to what I’m looking for. Will call cancer connect Mon.

Thanks

Posted by ashcon on Jan 5, 2020 8:09 am

Hi posi‍ 
​​​​​​
Welcome! 

I had my double mastectomy (no reconstruction) 2 years ago in Jan 2018. It still feels tight,  but it is certainly not life limiting. As mentioned, exercise and daily stretches are key. I also do daily lymphatic massage because I have lymphedema in my right arm as a result of all the treatment for my breast cancer. (Stage 3 Triple Negative).
I've heard there are some physiotherapists and massage therapists who specialize in treating BC survivors. You may find something in the Community Services Locator
Just filter to your province, city, type of service you're looking for. 

Glad you found this community.  It took me about 6 months to figure out all the ins and outs of this site. There are some useful navigation tips HERE.

Survived99‍ and Fitbunny‍ - how are you doing these days? 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by posi on Jan 5, 2020 10:23 am

Thank you!  So important to connect with others who have been there.........they truly know!. I will check the Massage therapy part out and the tips for navigating the site. . I’m doing  physiotherapy now and have certainly improved. Good to know about the tightness of chest at 2 years... ..........you learn to adapt to it and your new body..Is your chest tender  now or is it just during the early recovery period?  I’m sure it's all about  perserverance ,  patience and time. 

Thanks for the info.

Posted by ashcon on Jan 6, 2020 10:52 am

Hi posi‍ 
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, including the possessing the knowledge that healing takes time, and (yes) the new body takes some getting used to it.  But you do get there.
Any tenderness I feel across my chest now is more as a result of there not being any "boob" there to cushion any pressure or impacts to the chest area.  It's just skin on ribs, now!  I guess guys get used to that.  Or maybe they have more significant pec muscles than I do!
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Alli with 2 Ls on Jan 6, 2020 3:11 pm

I will never know for sure, but I maybe do.  I had a brain tumour in the 90s and received radiation, 16 years old.  I wasn't young young, but still a child and there is more research now about late term affects from childhood radiation.
Last year I had a little cancer in my thyroid removed by thyroidectomy.  I had a mastectomy now about a month ago now.  Both were completely new independent cancers.
So it could be b/c of that, but then I also think a couple relatives on my dad's side (who I don't really know) had breast cancer. So it could have a genetic thing.
So no way to know for certain, but it's a possibility (and new cancers are precisely what my neurologist is concerned about right now, so I make sure he has my reports from even non-brain related cancer, just to keep him in the loop). 

Posted by Elsie13 on Jan 6, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello Alli with 2 Ls‍ , sorry that you have all this going on. Yes, it seems really important that you keep your neurologist up to date.  Perhaps one of your doctors will do some genetic testing? It might be important to know the results of genetic tests? 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!