Immediate Breast Reconstruction

Immediate Breast Reconstruction

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 7, 2019 10:46 pm

Why do they tell you it's immediate reconstruction when it's not immediate? I wanted to go in for a mastectomy and come out with a reconstructed breast. Instead I go in for a mastectomy and they immediately start the reconstruction surgery procedure. I didn't want to wake up with no breast. What has to happen is they are removing the breast and putting in a balloon and filling it with air until they put the replacement in place.
Immediate means immediate. Now I am angry and upset all at the same time.

Re: Immediate Breast Reconstruction

Posted by Dielle on Feb 8, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi Buffythevampire‍, I can understand that you must be disappointed, upset and angry.  Thats how a lot of us feel when facing cancer and surgery.  And then to have this thrown into the mix - it must have been such a letdown.

I know you wanted to have a reconstruction with tissue and not implants.  Is that what you are having?   Did they explain to you why they want to do a 2-stage reconstruction?

I had a 2-stage reconstruction with the tissue expander and then an implant.  I still thought of it as immediate reconstruction, although I do understand your point.  I thought of it as immediate because when I woke up from the surgery I did have a breast.  True, it did look a little different in shape but it was recognizably my own skin and nipple.  I understand that you may feel differently but I thought I would share this with you.

I also found it helped to remember that the plastic surgeon really wanted to be able to make my breasts look as good as possible and that was behind the advice she was giving.  

Take care,
Debbie

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 9, 2019 11:21 am

Dielle‍  I mostly wanted to go in for a mastectomy and come out with my new breast. I know they will use my skin but I lose the nipple. But also found out from the plastic surgeon that part of the skin can't be used because of the lumpectomy surgery I had. And by using the expander I have allergy concerns which I told him. To get it inflated I have to drive an hour from my home to get it done. I was told they could still be able to use my tissue to make the new breast but I would need to lose 10-15 lbs. Telling him that I will be losing the weight from my breast but that doesn't count. Has to do with the blood flow. So now I have to go on a diet.
I didn't want the flat look. I am scared of the flat look. I don't know if I can look at myself that way let alone let anyone else see me that way.
I am also large breasted and the reconstruction one will be smaller. So at some point they will have to make the other breast smaller. So another operation. And at some point I have to decide about my missing nipple. It just seems like it's going to take forever to get back to 2 same size breasts. More questions arose as it is starting out different then I expected.  

Posted by Lauren55 on Feb 9, 2019 6:41 pm

Buffythevampire‍   I too wanted to come out with breasts and not be flat.  I had a bilateral masectomy and wanted a chest when I woke up.  It was explained to me that I would need expanders and then reconstruction.  I had the expanders put in 2017.  The actual implants were put in June 2018.  My one side capsulated so I am currently waiting for a third surgery sometime in 2019 to remove the scar tissue and correct the implant.  I don't like going almost flat in some situations so I have a set of false boobs to wear.  

This past January I had my foobs in my travel bag in my car.  Sometimes the bra is uncomfortable and I take it off when I can.  Someone broke the window in my car that night and stole my travel bag.  Now I have no bra or foobs.  That was close to $900 and my self esteem that got stolen along with all the other stuff on my bag.  I wish the people that stole my bag had been kind enough to return my personal clothing items.  

What I am trying to say is, flat is not the end of the world.  I will have new foobs in April.  Until then I am what I am.  And most importantly I am alive.  I am looking forward to the final outcome but I don't want to rush my plastic surgeon.  

Lorinda

Posted by Dielle on Feb 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Buffythevampire‍ Thank you for explaining more about your circumstances.  Yes, it is a long road, especially when you are at the beginning and wondering if you will ever feel 'normal' again and sometimes it can seem as if nothing is going right especially when you have to deal with the idea of surgery, treatment and just the fact of having cancer all at once.  It can be overwhelming.  All I can tell you is that it usually does get easier and the thought of being flat may become less terrifying as you get used to the changes.  But for now, its okay to feel grief, anger, fear or whatever.

Lauren55‍ I'm sorry to hear your implant encapsulated.  .  And that some low-life jerk stole your bra and foobs.  👿  I imagine they ended up in a dumpster somewhere - I can't imagine there's much of a black market there.  I just had my exchange surgery two weeks ago so I'm crossing my fingers (and doing the massage) to try to make things go smoothly.

Posted by Lauren55 on Feb 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Dielle‍ no I don't think there would be too much resale value there lol.  So pissed they would violate my property like that.  I do get a bit of a chuckle when I think about their face when they pulled the bra with the foobs in it out of the bag, hee hee.  Oh well, I can get new ones and the car can be fixed.  I really don't want to go back to work flat though.  I do have a set of knitted knockers and they may have to do until my insurance will replace my real ones.  

please, please do your exercises religiously.  I didn't and now I am paying the price.  I wish they had stressed the possible outcome of not doing all the exercises.

I did the massage, maybe not all the time.  It seemed to be encapsulated pretty much from the beginning.  Something about radiated skin being like old leather.  My plastic surgeon seems to act like everything is going as he anticipated.  Not at all like I did.  I wanted it to be fixed 2hen I woke from the first surgery.  I have met one girl where it was done all in one surgery.  She looks fabulous.  With me though the surgery was a lot more extensive and a lot less skin to work with.  Now I have come to an understanding that for anything good it will take time.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Lauren55‍ More and more crime seems to be happening and it would make me so angry if I had any of my stuff stolen. There was one time I had my purse stolen. It was recovered with everything except for the cash. I carry less cash with me now. But to lose what you lost (your fake boobs), I would be so angry. Thankfully you had insurance.

Dielle‍ I felt rushed at the appointment with the plastic surgeon. I was the last appointment and only had about 15 minutes to ask questions. And I had prepared my questions based on immediate reconstruction. When it wasn't going to be what I thought was immediate, I lost my focus and train of thought. No, I wasn't explained why it has to be done this way. I don't know whether it's because of my situation or if it's the plastic surgeon's preferred method. Now I have to make a list of more questions based on a different surgery. And it's more surgeries then I wanted. And more time off of work then I wanted. I am the only income. I still don't have a surgery date yet.
And since I learned about the mastectomy I am having aches in my body on one side that I am pretty sure is just tension/stress related. My mind doesn't seem to shut down either.

Posted by Lauren55 on Feb 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Buffythevampire‍ I found my plastic surgeon was very quick with answers and time too.  I phoned his nurse and after each appointment I would discuss what I thought he had said.  If she was not sure of an answer she would get him to come back and clarify.  

any aches and pains are worthy of further investigation.  If there is nothing wrong then your fears would be alleviated.  Through my journey I learned one thing, Always ask questions.  No question is a dumb question.

Posted by Naan on Feb 11, 2019 1:01 pm

I had immediate reconstruction, it’s called DIEP. It was a 13 hour surgery, one surgeon did my bilateral mastectomy and then the plastic surgeon did the reconstruction using tissue from my belly! Breasts are about the same size as I was before.
have to have some minor filling for spots that flattened out after swelling went down, but other than that it was a one and done procedure!

Posted by Dielle on Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Buffythevampire‍, I have that problem too.  If something doesn't go according to plan I can't think quickly enough to come up with the questions I should ask.  And for the first several weeks after being diagnosed I could barely think at all.  It is too bad that when the stats say 1 out 8 women will get breast cancer that there is not more general knowledge about the surgery options before we have to make the decision.  All I knew about reconstruction was what I had seen on TV (not the most reliable source).  Of course trying to educate yourself beforehand and decide how you would feel about losing your breasts is probably not something that a lot of us would do unless we had a family history of breast cancer.  

Lauren55‍ I was warned about the radiation damage as well.  There are just a certain number of cases where the damage is too much and they have to fix it.  We can do everything right but luck also plays a certain role.  That is why part of my plan is to keep my fingers crossed, lol.  😁

Naan‍ That is wonderful that you are pleased with your results.  I think that might be the procedure that Buffy wanted but unfortunately not everyone is a candidate.

Posted by Naan on Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm

No, unfortunately they have certain criteria to meet for this surgery to happen. Thankfully I did.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 12, 2019 7:45 pm

I called the plastic surgeon's office today and said I had more questions from the last appointment. She read me the Dr. notes. If he had told me what was in his notes some of my questions would have been answered. Turns out I don't qualify for the procedure that I was hoping I was getting. She was able to answer a few of the other questions that I had also. Still disappointing it didn't go the way I had hoped though.
Found out also that I am taken on as a patient even though I am not in their catchment.
Dielle‍ I too did some research before going to my appointments. The internet has so much information but it's hard to distinguish which is Canadian. I have joined a couple of facebook groups that deal with my particular cancer but you still have to filter stuff out to get to the Canadian information.

Posted by Dielle on Feb 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Buffythevampire‍, I'm glad you were able to get the extra information about your situation.  Its too bad that your surgeon didn't take the time to explain it all.

Its great that you are finding some helpful facebook groups.  To deal specifically with the Canadian system I found The Intelliget Patient's Guide to Breast Cancer to be really helpful.  It is written in BC (I"m not sure where you are?) and while I think some things are a bit different in other provinces  I think it is closer than some of the books written in the U.S.  And of course cancer.ca is always my first stop.

Take care,
Debbie

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Dielle‍ The book you mentioned I have looked at. It's on loan to me from a local Doctor's office. Yes I am from BC.

Share with your friends: