marathoner with question

Re: marathoner with question

Posted by TT53 on Jan 15, 2020 11:53 am

runner‍  Hi, I had a left side mastectomy in October 2019 and opted for immediate reconstruction.  I have had no problems with the weekly filling of the expander or any other issues.  It has gone quite smoothly with me.  I was actually surprised that I had no pain at all.  Only about three days after the surgery, the nights were tough, but other than that all smooth sailing.  It is a very personal decision.  It had taken me a while to decide between a lumpectomy or a mastectomy, but I am glad I did what I did.  Every surgery is different and no one knows how you will react to it and after it.  Wishing you all the best with your surgery and your decision.

Hugs,
Milan

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jan 15, 2020 12:05 pm

Just wow. As a guy with breast cancer I have to put up with some odd looks at times. Though I was offered reconstruction I chose not to. And a gorgeous job by the surgeon left me with what I fondly refer to as my sword scars. But these photos really do justice to the "Look good, Feel good." movement.

Though I'm a walker and not a runner, and not a climber either, I faced my own physical challenges. I have a high level first aid certification and as part of my recertification process a year after my bmx, I had to do 30 minutes of CPR. "To feel what it is like..." says the instructor. I was quite worried to say the least. About fifteen minutes in, the rest of the class is gasping and huffing and puffing. I'm chugging happily along. Part of it was experience and good technique. Part of it though was the regular stretching and exercise that I had been doing as followup to my mastectomies.

Though when I talked over Christmas with my boys about taking a project with the Saskatchewan Govt tracking elk in the snow, my boys discouraged me. I can't imagine why...

Angus
This is me: https://cancerconnection.ca/reviews/item/21/210 - - For a longer version http://journal.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Ange on Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Kims1961:
Ange‍ Wow....just wow 

Thank you for sharing the photoshoot...so powerful and strong.  I wished i had seen this before my surgery.  I had to google images and not nearly as impacting as your photo.  You are beautiful.

Thank you for this.  Kim

Hi Kim - Yeah, I googled too ...and thank goodness we live in the internet age, where there are photographs available online.  I was able to take photographs of other ladies post mastectomy and ask my surgeon "which one of these will I look like?" - really useful to  know that we both had the same expectations.  Taking part in the photoshoot is my way of paying that forward 😍

Posted by Essjay on Jan 17, 2020 7:23 am

You look amazing Ange‍ thankyou for sharing!
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Irongirl on Jan 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi Runner - I am an iron distance triathlete so I considered down time (from surgery) but also how I’d feel without reconstruction. I had a left breast mastectomy with an expander. However, while I waited for reconstruction, I did wear a prosthetic while I swam. My friends said no one could tell, but I was self-conscious. I have not regretted having reconstruction but in the end, it is a very personal decision.