BREAST CANCER

BREAST CANCER

Posted by NAW on Mar 12, 2012 4:58 pm

I had a mammogram and ultrasound done 8 months ago which showed a benign cyst.  I've had another mammogram and ultrasound done two weeks ago which showed a definite lump but the results were inconclusive. 

My doctor is sending me to a surgeon at Juravinski as they suggest a biopsy be done.

My appt is next Wednesday. 

Can anyone share their stories with me.  My mother is a breast cancer survivor.

I just dont know what to expect from my first appointment.

Thank you all!

RE: BREAST CANCER

Posted by Joanne_53 on Mar 12, 2012 9:56 pm

My experience is slightly different -- I had a ultrasound guided core biopsy after the lump was discovered.  Once that was done then I was referred to an Oncological Surgeon at Juravinski.  Good chance you have the same surgeon -- Wait and see what she/he has to say and then go from there.  Keep us posted.   

Posted by NAW on Mar 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Do you think they will do the biopsy the same day or just consult with me? Can u tell me what to expect? Thank u for replying. It helps having someone to talk to. What's your outcome?

Posted by Joanne_53 on Mar 12, 2012 11:12 pm

I sent you a private message -- you will need to look under profile to see your inbox.

Posted by copswifeoffour on Mar 11, 2013 1:49 pm

So glad I found this site as I am really scared. I am a 47 year old Mom of four children and I had my first mammogram two weeks ago because My doctor and I both found a lump at 6 o'clock position. They are now sending me for a ultrasound directed breast biopsy because they found a mass at the three oclock position. This must mean it is another lump?. What should I expect during the biopsy?. No history of breast cancer but I lost my beloved Mom only 10 days after she was diagnosed with colon cancer. Any help or tips would be great appreciated. Good luck to all of us on our health journeys.

Posted by Julie_admin on Mar 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi copswifeoffour,

It is very normal to be scared when going through diagnostic tests. I am hoping another member who has gone through an ultrasound-guided breast biopsy can give you some information about what to expect.

Having this test may not mean that another lump was detected, however, they often use imaging to guide them to an area to ensure they are biopsying the correct tissue and include the lump (or part) in the biopsy sample that is taken.

You may be interested in reading more about diagnostic tests in our Canadian Cancer Encyclopedia. I think you want to read about the wire localization or stereotactic biopsy.

I wish you all the best.

Posted by journeys on Mar 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Just had to comment on our similarities. I am 47 year old mom of 2 kids and was diagnosed with breast cancer last April. Finished all treatments last November and am taking Tamoxifen as well as in a clinical trial.

I also lost my mom to colon cancer about 4 months after she was diagnosed. That was in '95.

I hope they find that it is benign but if it is not, you will have lots of support out there if you reach out for it. We are here, afterall! Good luck with everything.

Journeys

Posted by Harley on Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi, I had an ultrasound guided biopsy and it was painless and quick.  I also had a stereotactic biopsy which was more painful.  The ultra sound biopsy confirmed invasive and aggressive tumor at the 6 o'clock region 2.6 cm x 2.0 x 2.0.  The 2nd biopsy confirmed DCIS at the 3 o'clock region.  I am 50 years old.  Try not to be scared and stay away from websites that are not medical...... patience and staying calm is the best.....also call your doctors office for the results...I call after each test/exam that I have and ask for copies. Hope that helps.

Re: BREAST CANCER

Posted by Bexx on Sep 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi ! New here just joined today as am very confused and looking for some support of those who have had similar experiences . Iam 48 an just had my first mammogram last January . They called me back to take another look and do an ultrasound . The area of concern they said they weren’t sure if it’s just normal for my breasts as it was my first one so they said we will monitored and look again in 6 months . So I wasn’t too worried . I just went back for my 6 month check and they did ultrasound again as well and I was on my way . My dr called and said they need to do a core biopsy which Iam having done at the end of October . Here’s my concern if they  saw an area in January why did I not have a biopsy done then ??They r skipping the needle biopsy and going straight to core biopsy but why is it taking so long ?. If I do have cancer I will have had it at least since January . Is this normal time frames or should I be pushing to hsve this done sooner ? I have a friend who just had her Mammogram she’s younger than me and had been having yearly ones ( my dr never recommended it to me I had to ask ) she had an abnormal area they did a  needle biopsy that day then sent her for a core biopsy right away and she has cancer . Had surgery already all within a few days . So iam concerned about the nonchalance of my dr and my lengthy wait times . I read if they do a core biopsy they suspect cancer . So like if it is cancer I’ve had it since January at the very least which really worries me . Any ad all feedback is appreciated 

Posted by Wendy Tea on Sep 17, 2020 11:18 pm

Bexx‍  Welcome.  Not having a diagnosis was almost more scary than being told I had cancer.  It seems like the medical system is built on the hurry up and wait system. During covid times, the wait times are not the norm. Are you near a cancer center or are you being treated by a family physician and general surgeon?  If you can feel free to politely advocate for yourself to get quicker access to tests and treatments. 
In non covid times, I was 2 months from a routine mammogram to surgery at a cancer center.  Does this help?
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Bexx on Sep 18, 2020 2:52 am

Hi thanks for the reply ! Do I haven’t been diagnosed with cancer yet . Ive just gone To my local mammography screening place through my GP . What Iam concerned about or confused with is this part . Iam 48 no breast cancer history . GP never brought up I should be getting mammograms . So I enquired myself and got my first done this last January . They called me bsck to do another abd an ultrasound they said they wanted to watch an area so come bsck in 6 months . I  Just came Back for my 6 months and now the spot is bigger a d they want to do a core biopsy but it is not scheduled until October 19 th I found out I needed one the end of August .  My dr seems to be down playing it . So my question is this .. I read Online core biopsy is suggested when they do suspect cancer . If they suspect cancer why am I not getting this biopsy done right away  like end of August . Since I would hsve thrn had this suspected cancer since Jan at least . Also what’s worrying me is a friend recently had her mammogram they found an area of concern , dud a needle biopsy right there , realized it’s not a cyst and she was booked for her core biopsy within days . So is my time frame longer because they are not very concerned OR am I being lost in the shuffle and need to demand a faster biopsy time . My dr is awful to get a hold of and seems quite lackadaisical about this . Do I sit back trust the medical  system timeline Or push bsck ? I’m scared because my friend had cancer avd was treated so quickly avd now has a great outcome because of thst where if I do have cancer I’ve had it now at the very least 9 months now uNtreated . Am I just getting worked up because of my friends story ? Im
judt nit sure if I wait as expected or try to get this moving faster ? 

Posted by Cherry on Sep 18, 2020 8:20 am

Bexx
my mammogram n ultrasound looked normal too but my surgeon didn’t want to take a chance nor bother to call me again so he insisted on doing a biopsy the same day itself, Had a needle biopsy in his consultation room. And it all came positive.
one friend of mine was in a similar situation as yours , did not want to wait 6 months, she flew back home and got done the biopsy as well as the surgery then came back and continued the rest of the treatment. Do not delay try n push them to do it fast  - cherry 

Posted by Runner Girl on Sep 18, 2020 8:21 am

Hello Bexx‍ ,

I am sorry you find yourself here.  You are right to be concerned and asking questions. I have a couple of stories to share that might give you a little piece of mind.

I was 52 when diagnosed with breast cancer in 2018.  After all my treatments at my first follow up mammogram/ultrasound I was told I had 2 lesions in my left breast that would require immediate biopsy, my cancer was on the right side.  My oncologist told me that they were too small to biopsy and that he wanted me to wait 6 months and have another ultrasound to see if there had been any change.  Tough 6 months to get thru.  At my next ultrasound I requested to speak with the radiologist because I needed to know what they were seeing and was not willing to wait until my next doctor appointment.  I was advised that there was no change, they were considered benign.  I've just had another 6 month ultrasound and they are still the same so not something I need to worry about.  

When I was 40 I was sent for my baseline mammogram.  I was called back for a closer look.  Something was amiss so I was sent for a core biopsy, they actually took 12 cores.  I did not have cancer, but I did have atypical lobular hypoplasia in my left breast.  If left in place it would have become breast cancer in 10-15 years so I opted to have a lumpectomy and have it removed.  It is my belief that the above mentioned lesions they see in my current mammogram/ultrasound may be scar tissue from this earlier procedure.

Your timeline does not seem to be extremely elongated.  In 2018 my lumps were found in March, my biopsy was near the end of April and my diagnoses confirmation was in early May, with surgery 2 weeks later.  Things are taking a bit longer with Covid and I know, having been in your situation, that answers cannot come quickly enough.

Not all things they find are cancer, but it is very hard to convince our minds of that fact.  What may be true for one person is not necessarily true for another.  Please try to look at your situation as unique, because you are a unique individual.  Go with what you know for certain and try not to let your mind wander too far to the dark side.  Yes, there is a chance it might be cancer, but there is also and equal chance that it is not.  

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Essjay on Sep 18, 2020 8:48 am

Bexx‍ welcome to the community no one wants to join!

We totally get the agonizing about what is happening when you have to wait to hear if something is or isn’t cancer. It causes a lot of anxiety, and it’s hard to think about anything else but distraction is your friend. I renovated our kitchen as I waited for my biopsy and the results. I felt a lump in early June (Age 49), saw my doc a couple of weeks later, mammogram and ultrasound the following day, core biopsy 5 weeks later, diagnosis 10 days later, surgery 11 weeks after that ( mine was aggressive Triple negative, caught at stage 1).

The thing about breast cancer is that the majority grow slowly - that’s why we only need screening mammograms every few years. An oncologist told me that most cancers grow over about ten years from a few cells to a palpable mass. So, watching and waiting and not rushing to biopsy or surgery makes sense. Watching and waiting to see if something changes, or even goes away in the case of cysts, is less invasive for us. But it doesn’t help with the anxiety.

It sounds like you are getting good care. They have followed up what is seen on your mammogram. When I was sent for a biopsy the radiologist told me he couldn’t say for definite it wasn’t cancer and that’s why he wanted it checked, but that 70% lumps are benign and he thought it was benign. The radiologist who did my biopsy also said she thought I’d probably had it for years and that it was likely benign. In my case, I turned out to be in the 30% lumps that are cancer, and in the 10-15% of women with triple negative rather than in the majority, but that doesn’t mean you will be.

I have learned to focus on what I know today through this journey.

When I went for my biopsy all I knew was that I had a lump that needed to be checked out. When my doctors office phoned to ask me to come in for the results and the same day the breast health centre phoned to arrange an appointment to see a surgeon all I knew was that my lump was something that needed to be removed. I tried not to let my mind go to the dark side...

You can check how your province is doing in terms of timelines on the CIHI.ca website if that helps you to know if your experience of waiting is normal.
You could also ask about being put on a wait list in case there’s a cancellation over the next few weeks to get a biopsy sooner.

Do stay in touch and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes, Essjay

Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Hazewind on Sep 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Bexx‍ , I agree with Wendy Tea. You have to push harder to get moved up on the list. 
i found my lump in April 2018, I called my GP for an appt and the clinic got me in to see her within 4 days. She set up a referral to our "local cancer clinic" as she said they know what they are looking for. It was scheduled 2weeks later but i called my GP again and she had them move up the date for the following week. "The squeaky wheels get the grease". So please speak up. So in my case, the day i went to the cancer hospital, they did the mammogram, then the ultrasound. Then they asked me, if id submit for a punch biopsy there at that time or would i like to come back another day. I said " Hell no, i want it done right now if it helps get it diagnosed asap. Lets get the war against the possible cancer started asap". So they did it the same day. "Invasive Ductal carcinoma". Mine was extremely fast growing. Im glad i spoke up. Got things sorted out right away. Had my surgery 25thJuly 2018. So far so good !!!! 

Posted by Bexx on Sep 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks for the reply ! Here the thing the biopsy is in 4 weeks . Should I really push for it any sooner ? My take away is that they are being cautious by looking into it further but are not too terribly concerned that this is a rush rush situation . Am I just being naive ? I did make a second  Phone  call to my dr Asking for  more answers And clarity about the time frame etc and asking if they suspect cancer then why am I waiting so long . She said it’s not thst they suspect it it just being cautious . So I keep going back and forth thinking it’s not a rush situation to should I be demanding they do it tomorrow . I just don’t know 

Posted by Wendy Tea on Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Bexx‍  4 weeks. That was close to my time frame. It depends if you can keep busy until then without worrying yourself silly. Do you want to mention to your doctor that if there is a cancelation you would be ready and happy to take it?  For now focus on your health, eat healthy,  hydrate, walk, rest, gather your friends and family around you  metaphorically,  read, clean  closets, do anything to distract. Hang in there!
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by JustJan on Sep 19, 2020 8:51 am

I was 59 when a mass was found on my screening mammogram. There was high suspicion of cancer and was scheduled for a contrast mammogram, ultrasound and ultrasound guided core biopsy less than a week later. The procedure itself was easy and was only slightly uncomfortable afterwards for a few days. They did recommend that I have someone drive me.   At the breast care centre where I went, they said I was allowed to ask the radiologist if they found anything concerning. I did take advantage of this and she did say it was cancer. She wouldn’t know the type until after the pathology results came back.  It did take just over a week to get the results. The waiting is the hardest part! Try to keep yourself busy and please stay off google. There is so much information and it can send you to a very dark place. Once you have the results and if it turns out to be cancer, things should move quite quickly from there. 

There is no doubt that this is extremely anxiety provoking and what you are feeling is normal. I pray for benign results, but if not, you have a place in this group where you will find good information but most of all great support. 
Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers