+ Reply
Transportation
Sheg77
1 Posts
😑 Exhausted and helpless

Hi my name is Sherry. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last January and I had a hell of a year but, I am cancer free so far! Unfortunately I am doing treatments still as well as tests are still getting done and I have NO Transportation. I just ended my relationship with my partner of 10 years. I got sick and the one thing about this disease is you find out the good the bad and the ugly about people around you. I had to cancel a mammogram appointment today which changed an appointment for next weed.

of course I am willing pay I live in mount pearl just off common wealth l. Please message me
2 Replies

Hello and welcome @Sheg77 .

Happy to hear that although it was a tough year, it is in the rear view mirror now and you are doing well. Cancer is a lot to go through so worrying about things like transportation is an added burden. I am not sure what is available in your area but here is a link to our transportation program that is available in some parts of the country.

Transportation - you will see a phone number at 1-888-939-3333 to ask any questions and they can point you in the direction of resources available in your area.

Thanks for reaching out. Wishing you well with your continued treatment.

Lianne

missusmac
21 Posts

Hi @Sheg77, that is an awful lot to take on all at once.

In NS, I do some work with ‘community riderships’, non profit transportation agencies that can be booked to take you to medical appointments for a rate much lower than taxis.

I can't seem to find any listed in Newfoundland, but am attaching a link to some numbers and a website which might help you find some. I lumped Mt Pearl in with Saint John's for a region, and I apologize if I got that wrong.

The easiest and fastest thing to do is call 211, and they can help connect you with local agencies that might provide help or transportation. It's a pretty new service in Nfld, maybe since COVID started?, but it's been in NS for about 5 years now and very helpful. Also:

You can also call 811 and they might be able to refer you to a ridership or another service.

Their website is pretty good too, and offers info on other services that might be handy now or down the road.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE HEALTH AND COMMUNITY SERVICES AVAILABLE IN YOUR COMMUNITY, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REGIONAL HEALTH AUTHORITY:

Eastern Regional Health Authority
St. John’s: (709) 777-6300
Rural Avalon: (709) 945-5111
Bonavista, Clarenville: (709) 468-5243
Burin: (709) 891-5025

Good luck!

+ Reply