+ Reply
Young Adults Group
Pinto
52 Posts
I noticed the "Young Adults" group is only for those aged 18-35, however, cancer is considered "early-onset" for anyone under screening age. I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at the age of 42. All of my doctors were shocked at my diagnosis and considered me young to be receiving a cancer diagnosis, let alone a stage 4 diagnosis. When you look at it from a stage-of-life perspective, people who are 35 are typically at the same stage as people who are 45 – they have children, a home, a career, a spouse, aging parents, and are a ways off from retirement.

Would CCS consider changing the "Young Adults" group to "Young-Onset Cancer" and eliminate the age requirement in order to be more inclusive of those of us diagnosed with early-onset disease? Or could there possibly be a group for those who are of college/university age (like an 18+ student group), and then one for the rest of us who have early-onset disease, with no age requirement? Clearly, anyone under the age of 50 doesn't fit into the typical demographic of someone diagnosed with cancer because we face that every time we have to go to the treatment centre, yet there's no unique support for us here simply because we're over the age of 35.

It seems ironic that I had to overcome an incredibly unfair age bias in my journey to diagnosis, being told, "you're too young" at every turn, and now that I require support as a young person, I'm hearing "you're too old".
8 Replies
Pinto

Thank you so much for taking the time to bring this suggestion forward. It is really appreciated. I will bring this back to the larger team and get back to you!

Talk soon,
Lacey

Hi Pinto

We have updated the group description with the hopes that this opens up the group to feel more reflective and inclusive of the experience of being diagnosed at a younger age – and stage – of life.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback,
Lacey

Pinto
52 Posts
Dear Lacey_Moderator‍,

Thank you so much for your prompt attention to my feedback! I'm so happy your team was open to updating the group description to be inclusive of the full age spectrum of early-onset disease. This response is a true reflection of the spirit of Cancer Connection and the Canadian Cancer Society as a whole.

Warmly,
@Pinto
Thank you for your feedback Pinto‍ ! This indeed is more inclusive and reflects the changing cancer landscape.

Lianne
Thank you again Pinto‍ for taking the time to pass along the feedback.

I'm glad this group description feels more inclusive.

Lacey
jRiffRaff
33 Posts
Pinto‍ ,

Thanks for drawing attention to the Groups section of cancerconnection.ca! I didn't even realize that it existed! I just saw that there are a number of different groups that are not part of the main Forums list (at least I didn't notice them, if they are there).

Lacey_Moderator‍ , Lianne_Moderator‍ - maybe we could publicize this aspect of cancerconnection.ca a little more, so others are aware as well?

Thanks,
jR
Hi jRiffRaff

I'm so glad you found the groups section of the site. They are like an extension of forums but operate pretty similarly. There is a navigation tab for forums and groups.

Thank you for your suggestion! We can definitely look into promoting them more for folks!

Lacey
MCoaster
506 Posts
Lacey_Moderator‍ , jRiffRaff‍ & Pinto

Thank you Lacey.

After being a member since the end of 2019 it is only for the past 2 or 3 months that I regularly check out the Groups and Blogs and I am so glad I did. Personally I have found that in such groups a community with similar interests, separate from cancer, can reach out to others while also chatting about their "cancer stuff" when needed. COVID has isolated individuals and something which can reduce that isolation when cancer is in our lives is a helpful addition to our main forums.

Best wishes Pinto and jFiffRaff in your treatments.

Thanks again Lacey.

MCoaster
+ Reply