Life Labs Data Breach

Life Labs Data Breach

Posted by Buffythevampire on Dec 19, 2019 12:01 am

I know this is probably going to be posted in the wrong discussion section, but I was wondering if anyone was involved in the Life Labs Data Breach? I have just changed my password as a precaution. 

Re: Life Labs Data Breach

Posted by Aries on Dec 19, 2019 12:03 am

Buffythevampire‍ - I am not aware whether I am or not; I don't know if or when anyone will let me know. If I am, I will consider joining the class action lawsuit that I heard about on the news tonight!

Posted by Ohmy on Dec 20, 2019 5:38 am

How do you know if your information was breached?

Posted by Mare2062 on Dec 20, 2019 6:45 am

If you look it up there is a phone number to call. I haven't tried calling yet.

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Dec 21, 2019 12:31 am

I have seen a lot of concern about the breach. And so we should be. Health information privacy is about the most sacrosanct privacy around. That it should have been exposed in ways that made the paying of ransom necessary is just dangerous. Platitudes from the president notwithstanding here is the link to the page for a phone number that will give you access to cybermonitoring https://customernotice.lifelabs.com/ My understanding is this service is worth $15 a month so there is some value in it. Unfortunately I believe it should have been made available for a lifetime not just a year.

From a cyber security perspective there are a number of puzzling aspects to this case that haven't been talked about very clearly. As this story unfolds it will fundamentally change the way health information is handled. From the experts I am hearing that this was a "CyberLocker" attack and that means that the data in all likelihood wasn't accessed. But then if the data was locked why was a ransom paid and not simply restored from a backup. It just suggests that the backups were not available and that has its own set of implications.

In addition I would encourage you to use best practices and change your password for this service immediately. And though we are encouraged never to use the same password most people do - so go change it anywhere else you are using it. And seriously - consider the use of a password manager.

While there are several announced class action lawsuits I have not been able to find accurate information on any of them yet but I would encourage you to consider following this story for more information.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Jackwb on Dec 21, 2019 8:12 am

Both my wife and I signed up for the monitoring for a year yesterday...you give them a call, they give you an activation code to enter at https://www.mytrueidentity.ca/CreditView/welcome.page?, register, and we're good for a year. Once you're registered they even give you your credit score and history. Kind of fun.

I guess it's a good thing as the hack gives access to your health card info, test results (indicating your health issues), but also the names of your doctors.

Posted by Wendy Tea on Dec 21, 2019 9:53 am

Catch 22. Free monitoring for a year. Good idea. One more website with all my personal data that can also be hacked? Not so sure.
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Jackwb on Dec 21, 2019 11:26 am

Wendy Tea:
Catch 22. Free monitoring for a year. Good idea. One more website with all my personal data that can also be hacked? Not so sure.

This web site already has all of your personal data, they know everything about you including your SIN number and everything that is associated with it. I typed in my name and address but not my SIN...verification questions included my former address in Toronto, my credit card numbers, even my cell 'phone provider. Info on my credit score and history included my card balance, all debt info (I have none..they knew that too). Even knew which banks I use (I have four, one in the U.S., they know that as well)...they had the info that I did a credit freeze at both credit agencies last year after my Bell bill was hacked through my e-mail. They know more about you than even the government does, well maybe not, I was told that there is a file on me in Ottawa that goes back to when I came to Canada when I was two years old. I found that out when I needed a replacement citizenship certificate and card...they even new which ship brought us to Canada in 1953 and my landed immigrant status back then. Good thing as it was needed to get my OAS.

Scary stuff...

Posted by Wendy Tea on Dec 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Jackwb‍ , all right, thank you for ruining my day!  I thought I had lost my privacy when I had a mastectomy and now you tell me my privacy was long gone! Yikes!

When I returned to Canada in 1955 we sailed on the RMS Scythia. Is nothing sacred? I dont even want to go on Ancestry where they will find out part my family were crofters. Hopefully they weren't cattle thieves and pirates too!

Enjoy your day!
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Jackwb on Dec 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Wendy Tea:
Jackwb‍ , all right, thank you for ruining my day!  I thought I had lost my privacy when I had a mastectomy and now you tell me my privacy was long gone! Yikes!

When I returned to Canada in 1955 we sailed on the RMS Scythia. Is nothing sacred? I dont even want to go on Ancestry where they will find out part my family were crofters. Hopefully they weren't cattle thieves and pirates too!

Enjoy your day!

We came over as refugees (they called us DP's back then) on the SS Atlantic in 1953, what's interesting is that my wife's family came to Canada from Ireland in 1648 and her dad's family came over from Lebanon in 1847.

Yes, when it comes to credit reporting agencies and the government there is no privacy. That's why it was such a big deal when Equifax was hacked a couple of years ago.They payed  USD425 million when they settled.

I would recommend taking the Lifelabs offer...it offers some protection and gives you a lot of info like your credit score and financial history. I would also do the credit freeze at Equifax and TransUnion. I think they charge $5 or $10 but it's worth it.

Thanks, I'm am enjoying my day, weather is beautiful in southern Georgian Bay, the kids are coming over for dinner, it's a winter wonderland, and we're getting ready to head to Florida next week for the winter.

Stay warm.