SPAM!

SPAM!

Posted by Carjac87 on Aug 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Wow, I just reported about 10 or more Spam articles this morning...it's getting crazy! Is there anything at all that can be done to prevent this, rather than just keeping an eye open for it & reporting? I just don't get what people get out of doing such things, ggrrrr.

Jacquie

Re: SPAM!

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 26, 2019 7:14 am

I reported them, too, Carjac87‍ - the admins do their best, and they are very grateful for our reporting skills. At a workshop held last January, this was raised as an issue, and different things have been tried since to try and reduce the amount of spam that comes in.

I always find it interesting that no matter where I’m getting the spam - e-mail or this forum - there always seems to be a spike in activity at the beginning and end of school summer breaks, as well as reading weeks, Christmas and March/ Easter breaks.

Yesterday’s spam influx was annoying, and hopefully we can block those ones in the future.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Carjac87 on Aug 26, 2019 8:32 am

That's very interesting, Cynthia Mac!

Oh, I know the admins do their very best....there are just so many of these annoyances out there, it's impossible to keep up with, isn't it? Personally, I can't understand the 'thrill' of it to those spammers....but I guess it takes all kinds, eh? lol

Make it a great day....Hugs!

Posted by Ineke on Aug 26, 2019 2:09 pm

It is incredibly sad that these Trolls are out there!  Shameful

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Aug 26, 2019 4:44 pm

Carjac87‍ 

Thank you for your reporting of the spam. We are working diligently with our provider to combat the spam while still not putting up barriers for those who need the community. Our work with them is ongoing.

Thank you

Lianne

Posted by SpeedyStill on Aug 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Lianne_adminCCS‍ 
I guess all the strange incoming messages is the spam they are talking about. Is there always an administrator on the site? Do posts etc. go through the administrator first before going on site? 
I know that Cyber Security is a problem for everyone. If they can hack into government and big business sites then it is no surprise that anyone can be vulnerable.
The Internet and global communication has moved a lot faster than the controls that would keep it safe.
I can remember a time when TV was young the programming was regulated. Now with HBO, You Tube, Search engines like Chrome nothing is off limits and I mean nothing.
I call it  Freedom Gone Wild!!! 
Don't any of you steal this because I am going to write a book with this title.
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Aug 27, 2019 12:54 pm

SpeedyStill‍ 

Yes the spam is the ketp supplements and pay for view type stuff.
Content is added in real time. That allows for someone who may be newly diagnosed to come on at 3 am and post and get support right away.

Lianne

Posted by SpeedyStill on Aug 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Lianne_adminCCS‍ 
My suggestion to everyone is to be vigilant no matter where they are when in the Cyber world.
All the Best,
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Barney on Apr 19, 2020 10:12 am

Barney here. I am late picking up this thread because I just saw it recently while browsing the site. Still, I sense that spam is an ongoing problem - it certainly is for me. Since I log in here via my Outlook program, I think that spam must come through  by the email route. I had a huge amount of spam daily that did not respond to the "block sender"  button, so I checked back to my ISP (internet service provider) and found a spam filter service of its web page. Finally!. That works wonders. Only a small number of spam messages get through, although, if I wished, I could raise the filtering level by one or more degrees. The caveat here is to avoid setting the filter level so high that it eliminates some desired messages. Trial and error is probably the answer for that. Good luck !
Barney

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 19, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you Barney

​​​​​​Our SPAM situation is under control this is an old post.

Thank you