My mom has gallbladder cancer

My mom has gallbladder cancer

Posted by Cassie on Feb 7, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey guys I recently found out the worst news possible my mother has gallbladder cancer, last week my mom felt pain in her stomach and she thought it was gas note my mom is from the island so she would make her own herbal medicines to have her feel better. my mom stomach pain hurt so bad she couldn’t finish or go to work and she would throw up which my mom never does all 58 years of her life, and she requested to go to the hospital, so initially the doctors thought she had  gallstones until they told us that she may have cancer and I noticed that they wouldn’t bring up the gallstones anymore, and kept talking about she may have cancer but while she was at the hospital the next day she was back to her old self, so they took an mri scan and said so far she has a lesion that’s on her gallbladder that transferred to her liver and yesterday we got the pathology report that she’s positive for gallbladder cancer our next step is having her see an oncologist to know what stage and treatment she needs but I want to know what’s everybody story if they had gallbladder cancer or know someone who has, like if we didn’t take my mom to the hospital till this day we would of never knew because she back to normal 

Re: My mom has gallbladder cancer

Posted by Brighty on Feb 8, 2019 7:22 am

Cassie‍  welcome to cancer connection.   I'm so sorry about your mom's diagnoses .   I'm glad you did go to the hospital  that day so at least you know what you are dealing with!!!    I couldn't find anyone  with gallblatter cancer  but I will tag Lacey_adminCCS‍  and  Lianne_adminCCS‍  who will be able to find other members  with gall blatter cancer you can connect  with.    I would also like you to meet Cynthia Mac‍  and Aly‍  who both looked after a parent with cancer all will give you excellent  tips and share their experiences.    I was a caregiver  myself if you ever want to chat.   Please feel free to private message me.    Make sure you take care of yourself  while taking care of your mom.   Do you have anyone to help you? Do you have a support system?    Please keep us posted as you gain more information.    I'm also going to tag @ACH2015 I don't think my tag is working now.  I hope he sees this.   He knows how to attach links with information.      

Posted by ACH2015 on Feb 8, 2019 9:26 am

Cassie‍ 

I saw your post, then saw Brighty‍ had tried to tag me.

The link below is a thread from the site that talks about others with gallbladder cancer.

https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/77/57978

I am also tagging GallbladderCancerkathBrajeshLondonE1faritz87‍ into this post for you.

This is a link from the Canadian Cancer Society that talks about many facets of gallbladder cancer.

http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/gallbladder/gallbladder-cancer/?region=on

Once your mother's diagnosis, stage and ail other information is compiled, the medical team will make recommendations for her treatment plan. Many of us may have the same type of cancer, however treatment plans will be designed for the unique needs of the individual. Everyone will also respond to treatments based on their own circumstances.

You mentioned your mother was making and taking her own herbal remedies. Make sure your mother informs her medical team about anything she is taking. Herbal or other supplements or treatments can actually promote some cancers, or render treatments in effective.

Good for you in getting your mother to hospital and getting a diagnosis.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Feb 8, 2019 10:43 am

Cassie‍ , Welcome to Cancer Connection. This is a great place to find support and non-medical advice! I had prepared a long response to you earlier this morning, but it got lost in cyberspace, so this is a second attempt.

ACH2015‍ has already helped you with links to discussions on this site about your mom’s form of cancer. You can find others by putting gall bladder in the search box at the top of this page.

I’m my Dad’s caregiver. He had lung cancer last year, and my best tip for this period between knowing your mom has cancer and getting her “action plan” is to get organized. Help your Mom get her environment in order - clean out her basement or garage, or wash down kitchen cupboards, whatever she wants done - and do the same for yourself. This sounds odd, but it can give you a sense that things are happening when you feel like things aren’t moving quickly enough. 

Part of the organizing, for me, included setting up a notebook dedicated to Dad’s health. I set up a coil-bound book fwith tabs in it. One section was a list of his meds (including vitamin supplements and herbals). This helped a lot because we got asked this information at nearly every appointment. As Andy says, be sure to tell your Mom’s doctors everything, because some vitamins and supplements can work against treatment protocols. Dad had to stop taking vitamin C and turmeric. 

In the next section, I put all his upcoming appointments and tests, along with any instructions related to them (stop taking Aspirin 4 days before, or no food after midnight, for example). In the next section, I noted any questions we had for the doctor(s) and anything they told us at appointments, and in the next section, I recorded any symptoms that didn’t fit on the chart they gave him. This worked extremely well — Dad now puts all of his non-cancer related health info in it, and he knows to bring it with him to every follow-up appointment.

I wish you and your mom the best possible outcomes as you embark on this new journey. You’re welcome to drop in and provide updates and ask for additional resources as you go along.

Share with your friends: