"In order to simply the registration process and improve the user experience, we are changing t...

"In order to simply the registration process and improve the user experience, we are changing the login process. "

Posted by Utwo_ on Jan 12, 2019 9:43 pm

"In order to simply the registration process and improve the user experience, we are changing the login process. 
Effective January 15, 2019, members will be required to use their e-mail address (instead of username) to login and will need to create new password.
"

Forcing me to change a password for no reason (that was explained) is an inconvenience, rather than improved experience.

Could you please explain the real reason for this change?
Can I assume that you recently had a major security incident and that all Cancerconnection passwords have been stolen?
This is the only logical explanation for mandatory password change I can think of.

Re: "In order to simply the registration process and improve the user experience, we are changing the login process. "

Posted by princessmaura on Jan 13, 2019 9:12 am

Utwo_‍, I don't like the change, also...it is stressful having to adapt to the new situation, I agree...

Re: "In order to simply the registration process and improve the user experience, we are changing the login process. "

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 13, 2019 9:18 am

Utwo_‍ , while waiting for an answer from the tech guys, I offer the following (from a very amateur techie)

Requiring a change in passwords could be caused be more than just a security breach. When I was working, we were required to change our passwords every two or three months. When we went to a different operating system we all had to change our passwords, and another time was when our intranet (corporate internal website) was updated. It might be as simple as there’s something going on in the background that will require each password to be so many characters long and include a capital letter, number, and/or special symbol. So, there could be something going on in the background with servers or platforms that require password changes.

And, you only have to do it once.

Posted by CancerConnectionTeam on Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Utwo_‍  and princessmaura‍ 

Thank you for raising your concerns. We appreciate the chance to clarify.
Most importantly there has not been a security breach. If there had been it would be addressed immediately with transparency to our members.

Cynthia Mac‍  is correct - this new process has been established to address user issues and changes on the platform.
  1. There has been a lot of user confusion between username vs screen name on the site. Email log in will eliminate this confusion.
  2. We have moved to a simplified user authentication process, which will streamline the experience for new members. In order to make this change, we need all members to reset their passwords.

We appreciate that this is a change in process for existing members, but please note you will only need to change your password once on your first login after January 15th. Going forward you will login with your e-mail address and new password.

We appreciate your patience as we make this change. The decision to make these necessary changes was made in consultation with our platform providers and experienced IT staff who work with our systems. We look forward to offering a more streamlined registration process for all of our future members and to our existing members experiencing less confusion with their login credentials.

Cancerconnection Team

Posted by Elsie13 on Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

Oh my goodness, I didn't even know we had a user called CancerConnectionTeam‍ .  My chemo brain must be worse than I thought - , ha ha!

Posted by Utwo_ on Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm

1. There has been a lot of user confusion between username vs screen name on the site. Email log in will eliminate this confusion.
    I understand this, however switching to use of e-mail address instead of user name during logging in doesn't require password change.

2. We have moved to a simplified user authentication process, which will streamline the experience for new members. In order to make this change, we need all members to reset their passwords.
    The above phrase doesn't explain anything.
    Is it too much to ask for real explanation?

Posted by CancerConnectionTeam on Jan 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Utwo_‍ 

Hi Again,

1. As mentioned above it does require a password change for our platform and authentication system.
2. If it would be helpful to talk by phone to better answer your questions please e-mail us at cancerconnection@cancer.ca and we will arrange a phone call.

We are always happy to help,
CancerConnection Team

Posted by princessmaura on Jan 14, 2019 7:24 am

thanks for the explanation...I understand, now...