Emotions

Emotions

Posted by Christmas Thimble on Dec 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Here I am... New to this support group community, and thankful to here from others as work through the emotions of watching someone I love slowly slip away.

Re: Emotions

Posted by Kims1961 on Dec 11, 2018 6:13 am

Christmas Thimble‍   Welcome to this awesome community and so sorry to hear that you have a loved one with cancer.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year but also had been involved in my mom's cancer care in 2011 when she died of colon cancer.  I found the emotions sometimes like a roller coaster - trying to be positive and supportive for my mom in hospital , yet devastated and sad when I was at home away from her.  Not an easy time - now with 7 years behind me - the emotions still come and go - not like before but there are times I am glad that I had those moments with her in the hospital even though they were difficult.

Under "Forums" at the top of the page - there are some great discussions under " Emotional Roller Coaster" and "Caring For Someone With Cancer"  that you might find helpful.

Glad you posted.  We are here for you.  Kim

Posted by Christmas Thimble on Dec 11, 2018 7:25 am

Thank you Kims1961‍ 1 for sharing your story with me and for your encouragement.  I will definitely check out those discussions in the Forums.

My mother in law has ovarian cancer - she was diagnosed last February.  They started Chemo right away, but after her first round they realized that it didn't work - they tried another round of chemo and after the first treatment, they realized that there was nothing else they could do for her.  My husband is an only child, so I have taken her to all of her appointments and my husband does all the driving. She is a mother to me. I want to glean as much as I can from her.  It feels like we are waiting for her to go - and it is so hard to watch.  She is still at home with my father in law.  She just started some pain medication.

The range of emotions is so vast from moment to moment.  I told my husband this morning that it feels like my blood pressure is high, so I am trying to take care of myself. blush

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 11, 2018 8:51 am

Christmas Thimble‍ , It’s really hard to do everything we need to do to calm our minds at times like this (and have that work.)

Some days, not even mindfulness tapes or audio books can quell the emotions running through us. Caring for yourself, though is a good first step.

Hugs,

Posted by Christmas Thimble on Dec 11, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you Cynthia Mac‍ Mac.  Hugs to you as well.