+ Reply
Housekeeping
bucko
4 Posts

My wife has Stage IV cancer and is, for the most bedridden now. I have been able to keep up with the housekeeping, but I'm finding both my time and motivation are waning. It bothers me that the house is a bit of a mess, although she tells me not to worry about it.

Anyway, I've decided to get a cleaner in about once a week. I'm not looking for anything free, we have the ability to pay for it and I don't want to take any available free services away from those that can't afford it.

There's a ton of cleaning services out there, but I really need someone who is sensitive to my wife's condition, perhaps has experience in this area and of course is reliable, etc.

We're in the SW area of Calgary. Any suggestions?

5 Replies
Runner Girl
3008 Posts

@bucko
Perhaps the CCS community services locator could assist you in finding the cleaning help you are looking for. Here is the link: https://csl.cancer.ca/en

Hello @bucko

You have a lot going on. I think getting someone in will take some stress off your plate and allow you to focus on your wife's care.

As @Runner Girl mentioned we do have a community service locator to find resources in your area. You can also call our Cancer Information Helpline at 1-888-939-3333 and they can look up resources on your behalf.

Please continue to reach out as you need. We are listening

Lianne

JenG
221 Posts

@bucko I am sorry for what brought you here. That’s a lot on your plate. Are you looking for personal care for your wife as well? Her oncologist and/or palliative care team should be able to put you in touch with a home care service. Even if you feel like you’ve got it handled, I would find some respite help so you can have a break. I looked after my mom and once she became bedridden, it was a full time job. Thankfully I had help but I do wish we’d gotten it sooner. The cancer help line is a great suggestion. Good luck to you and take care of yourself.

jeng

Trillium
2221 Posts
Hello and welcome bucko‍! Sorry you have this difficult time you are both facing. Good for you for looking to get some help. It is hard to have a stranger in your house but it will help you both so you can focus on the important things right now.

Another suggestion is to talk to your local hospice services who would be able to connect you to someone who has the understanding of the needs of families dealing with life threatening illnesses. Hospice specializes in supporting thise with life threatening illnesses.

Word of mouth can also be helpful through friends of friends who are happy with their housekeeper.

Are you able to have some time to visit with friends or do something that you enjoy?
CentralAB
1284 Posts

@bucko thank you for sharing this with us. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with. When I was caregiver for my wife, I had similar challenges with the house work. I'm in Alberta too, and I know that it's possible to find people who can do this stuff for you. I think that a company called We Care is still in business in Calgary I used to know the owner. They, or other companies that are similar have all levels of care services, including just house keeping available. You can use them for the things you are not able or willing to do. Of course their rates are up near the top, but if you are able to pay it's a very good option.

I got lucky and found a private person for a while too and that was very helpful.

I think it's great that you are by your loved ones side during all of this, and that she is blessed to have you. I hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing.

+ Reply