+ Reply
Onto the next step
This morning my mom had a double mastectomy. I am feeling very relieved as there was a ton of anxiety leading up to the surgery. In the past few weeks, at her dressing changes, I had noticed the that ulcerating tumor had grown significantly, even though she has been on hormone blockers. I can only imagine how much more it would have grown had she not been on them!

My mom is doing good so far, she says she's sore and tired. I am encouraged that the most aggressive tumor is gone, and that in two weeks we get an oncology appointment to determine the next steps for treating where it's spread too. I feel like this is a huge step in the right direction!
5 Replies

@ShelbieLos87 I'm glad to hear that your mom's surgery went well and that her recovery seems to be going smoothly. It's a great feeling when something is done to deal with a cancer diagnosis and it will be even better when you have a clearer picture of what your mother is dealing with and what treatment plan will be used.

I'm wondering if you can help me understand something. You said that your mom is already on hormone blockers. Those are usually prescribed when you know that the cancer was ER/PR+ (that is, the cancer is hormone driven). Is this something you know already? From my experience, when my breast cancer was diagnosed as being hormone driven (included in the pathology report after my mastectomy), then I was given a hormone blocker to help prevent bad estrogen from attaching to my hormone receptors, which would ultimately reduce the odds that my cancer would return.

If you feel comfortable, can you add a little clarity if you have the details. I understand that it is so hard to learn so much in such a short period of time. I've been there. It's hard enough dealing with a diagnosis (as a patient or as a caregiver) without having to learn what seems like a whole new language.

If you want to tag me so that I get a notice when you respond, type @ followed by cancert… (no space). After you have typed part of my user name, you should see a list of member names that start with the letters you entered. Select cancertakesflight and my tag will turn blue, like it did for your name at the top.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Feel free to vent if want. You have a very large group of people who are willing to help you in any way.

cancertakesflight

@cancertakesflight thanks for letting me know how to tag someone.

I didn't give the entire story of my mom's journey in the last post. It's been very overwhelming and I wasn't sure how much I was going to share. but my mom has her pathology report back already and had some further biopsies since the original biospy. The main aggressive cancer she had that presented itself was estrogen driven from what I understand. They wanted to block estrogen to stop it from growing so aggressively before they could remove it. I don't remember the exact markers of it. She's been through lots of testing within the last month and a bit. It's been crazy, and you are right, sometimes it is hard to remember all the information given.

I hope this does give a bit of clarity on the situation. If you need more I can ask mom some questions, but maybe in a few days. She is in great spirits from the surgery but I don't want to overwhelm her when she feels so good!

@ShelbieLos87 Thanks for sharing more of your mom's story. I apologize if I made you feel like you had to share information that you may not have felt comfortable sharing. That was not my intent and please only share what you feel comfortable sharing.

I'm so glad that your mother is doing well. How are you doing? It's unfortunate, but sometimes all the focus is on the patient and the caregiver doesn't get the attention they deserve. I hope you are taking the time to care for yourself as well. It's not selfish. It's essential.

I'm so glad that things are moving forward for you. I had a rough time getting my diagnosis. I had symptoms in November 2010 and wasn't diagnosed until Feb/March of 2011. I had some of the same tests at different medical facilities and different cities. I had some new ones too. It was crazy and chaotic. It was great to finally have a course of action.

Please keep reaching out as you know more, as you think of questions, or as you find the need to talk to someone. You are not alone.

cancertakesflight

@cancertakesflight

Oh goodness I apologize if I came across rude! It's been a bit overwhelming lately and I haven't been handling it with the best grace, thank you with your patience as well!

Thank you also for checking in on me, it's been alot lately. I have been put into an antianxiety to help keep me a bit calmer than I have been, and so I can find a balance right now instead of being so overwhelmed. It's still new so I haven't felt any effects right yet. BUT that being said, with the surgery done I feel a nice sense of relief for right now. She has another oncologist appointment on the 8th to see what further treatments will be done to help with the cancer that has spread. So fingers crossed that everything continues in the right direction!

+ Reply