+ Reply
First Chemotherapy treatment
Sjw
1 Posts

My husband had been diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018, and has been on various treatments. His oncologist has now put him on chemotherapy (docetraxel and prednisone) for anticipated 8 cycles. This is his first cycle. He was also advised his life expectancy is 1 to 2 years. I’ve been on this journey with him since day 1, and watching him go through his first cycle is overwhelming and stressful as his sole caregiver. He is going through side effects and pain is the main one. He is taking over the counter Tylenol for his pain, and I’m unsure as to what to do for him and when.
I’d welcome any feedback and suggestions.

6 Replies
Whitelilies
2343 Posts

@Sjw Hello and welcome from NWT! So glad you connected here with us. You have found a caring community…..eager to listen and share experiences, and support each other. I am sorry to hear of the pain, your husband is experiencing, as well as your stress…in being his sole caregiver. It is challenging, to say the least.

Perhaps you can read through the Prostate Cancer Forum (link is below, for your ease, if you wanted to post, respond, ask a question….)

Please meet @kcbpcst Thank you so much; if you could share your experiences, here (Prostate)….to support our new member @Sjw from the NWT !!!….whose husband is experiencing pain, as he just started chemo, cycle #1…..she is seeking to connect, get feedback and suggestions……..thank you again - Kindly, also share Support Group Info….hopefully she/he can join right in!

Let us support you….and your husband…..

Welcome Sjw

Whitelilies

#caregiving #prostate cancer

Whitelilies
2343 Posts

@Sjw Hi…..another link to check out….Care giving….you can read through/ and post as well…when you feel comfortable….

Whitelilies

Runner Girl
2799 Posts

@Sjw

I am sorry your husband has to take chemo now. I had breast cancer but had 6 rounds of docetaxal and wanted to share a few tips. He can request bags of ice for his hands/feet during the infusion - this will help slow the uptake of the chemo to the nerves in his hands/feet and help him avoid neuropathy. Sipping cool/cold water during the infusion will also slow the uptake in his mouth and digestive tract, avoiding mouth sores - but mine showed up in my nose (easily mitigated with diaper rash cream, found info on this on a UK breast cancer website).

I am going to connect you with @Roy L. who is also having docetaxal for his advanced prostate cancer - I believe he has round 8 coming up this week.

I wish you both all the best.

kcbpcst
40 Posts

@Whitelilies Thanks for the mention

Hello @Sjw

I am a member of Prostate Cancer Support Toronto. We have peer support group meetings on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month on Zoom at 7PM Eastern Time. Our next support group meeting is on the 17th of May at 7PM Eastern Time. We welcome both, men and their partners, to our support group meetings.

Here is the link to register for this meeting:

You can find a lot of Prostate Cancer related information on our website

https://pcstoronto.ca/

If you would like to connect with a Support Group outside Toronto, you can find contact details for your nearest group at this site:

https://prostatecancersupport.ca/support-groups/

Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has an online forum for partners at:

https://www.partnersinprostate.ca/

They also have a monthly online meeting only for partners on the last Wednesday of the month at 7PM Pacific Time.

Your husband and you may find this site/forum useful:

We have “Awareness Night” presentations on the last Wednesday of January, March, May, July, September and November at 7PM where we have guest speakers talk to our members on various topics related to Prostate Cancer as well as other related issues. The link to register for the presentations is posted on our website (pcstoronto.ca) a few days before the event.

You can view videos of past Awareness Night events at the link below.

https://pcstoronto.ca/pccn-toronto-videos/

If you would like to connect with a Prostate Cancer Spouse/Caregiver for ongoing one-on-one support, you can join the TrueNth program where you can be paired with a Caregiver Peer Navigator who is a spouse, partner, family member or friend of a survivor to assist you along your journey. Your partner can join this program for support from a “Survivor” Peer Navigator. I am a Peer Navigator in this program. You can find more information and register for this program at this link:

https://tinyurl.com/2j2e2v92

I have personally undergone a Radical Prostatectomy (Robotic/laparoscopic) followed by Salvage External Beam Radiation and Androgen Deprivation Therapy (AKA “Hormone” therapy). If you and/or your partner would like to connect with me directly by phone, FaceTime or Zoom let me know. I am based in Toronto.

kcbpcst
40 Posts

Hello @Sjw

Your husband (and you) may benefit from attending on of our group's “Warriors” meetings. This is a sub-group for men dealing with advanced prostate cancer. Here is information on and a link to join the next Warriors meeting. Hope you both are able to attend and find it useful.

Topic: Toronto Warriors Information Exchange

Time: May 31, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us05web.zoom.us/j/88616053752?pwd=NzhWZUxCNzNncmV5eXBIa1NvR015QT09

Meeting ID: 886 1605 3752

Passcode: ppHG0F

Roy L.
510 Posts

Hello @Sjw, my sincere apologies for the lateness of my reply. Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis but glad you found us here. I just finished round 8 yesterday and looking to do 10 total. As @runnergirl mentioned, I am at an advanced stage and have been on Hormone therapy (ADT) and have had 7 metatis spots radiated, 2 of them twice.

I havent had any pain associated with the chemo, lost hair, losing nails and nausea for a few days has been the effects on me.

I am courious about the pain he is having. First thing would be talk to his oncologist if you havent already about it. But where is the pain located? Have they done a bone scan to see if the cancer has metastised? I see palliative care for my pain managment and they are terrific.

I have been on this journey for 3 ½ years now and if I an help in any way, please reach out. I promise to get back to you right away.

All the best.

Roy

#peacelovecure

+ Reply