+ Reply
Cancer "lodge" in Kingston?
NataHat
17 Posts
Hey, guys -- My mom is supposed to have treatment on Thursday in Kingston (ON), but it's giving a snowstorm. I'd like to look into having her stay over on Wednesday night. Is there a "Lodge" for cancer patients in Kingston, by chance? One that is near the hospital and can help her get to the hospital in the morning? (We have those in Nova Scotia, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask!)
5 Replies
Roy L.
114 Posts
S2020
99 Posts
Hi NataHat‍,

I am not sure about the Kingston area, but I know many of the lodges and free driving services for cancer patients are closed in various parts of Ontario because of pandemic restrictions.

If you discover that these community services are not available in Kingston, another option is a hotel close to the hospital. Many hotels close to hospitals will give patients a discount if they know the patients are staying there for medical appointments, treatments, surgery and/or tests at a nearby hospital.

I used a hotel for the first night after both surgeries at Princess Margaret because my apartment is too small for social distancing and the oncologist said someone had to be with me after general anesthesia. Although I live within walking distance of the hotel, the staff gave me a discount both times.

I hope you find a comfortable, convenient place for your mother to stay overnight.
Kuching
243 Posts
NataHat‍ , try the Confederation Hotel 855-516-1090. I believe they have a $25 room deal for cancer patients. They are quite close to the hospital, a nice place with a good view of the lake. I stayed there when I had my biopsy at KGH, and actually walked to the hospital to have it. But that was summertime! If that doesn’t work, call KGH and ask for hotels with a similar deal.
NataHat
17 Posts
Kuching‍, S2020‍, and Roy L.‍ -- Thanks so much for all this info! Appreciate you!
MCoaster
506 Posts
NataHat

Sometimes the local cancer centres have a list of accommodation which offer specials. Don't know what your mom's needs might be but also suggest that if you contact a hotel tell them what you might need ie. ground floor, near exit where a cab can easily be accessed, have a wheelchair available if it is needed etc.

Hope all goes well on Thursday.

MCoaster
+ Reply