+ Reply
Support group or therapist for my wife as I begin treatment again?
Melty
17 Posts
Hi guys, I had head & neck cancer in 2019, I survived but now I’m being diagnosed with it in my lungs and about to go into treatment again soon. My wife isn’t handling it well and can’t seem to find a support group or therapist to help her talk it out. Can you all shoot me some links or a number for a good therapist. We’re in London Ontario. She already tried Wellspring and it was a fail. Thanks in advance. Anthony
11 Replies
S2020
99 Posts
Hi Melty‍,

I am sorry you and your wife are going through this.

The Canadian Cancer Society has a Community Services Locator that may be helpful:

https://csl.cancer.ca/en

There is also a toll-free number listed there if you want to speak to someone directly to inquire about services.

I hope you and your wife find support as you go through treatments again.
IamJay
85 Posts
Hi Melty
Sorry this has started for you and your wife again. A recurrence can sometimes be harder than the the first time diagnosis.
depending on where you live, a really good source of counselling for your wife and for you can be the psycho social area or the cancer centre. It's free and they really get the whole cancer thing from a caregivers point of view. There are also caregiver groups online depending on where you live and how computer savvy she is. I'm in Calgary and lucky to have a variety of supports here but there is a Caregivers Alberta group. Can you google some resources with her?
My partner has really struggled with my diagnosis too and it is really hard for me as a patient because I felt the need to support her but I needed to pull in and put my focus on me.
It sounds cruel but this is a time for you and she really needs to find supports for herself....that may be the best thing she can do for you.
All the best in this next leg of your journey.
Judy
Melty
17 Posts
Thanks so much for responding Judy, we’re following up on a few links now for her so we’re on the right path :)
Hi Melty

I'm so glad you reached out.

Our Cancer Information Helpline can try and help you find something local. You can reach them at 1-888-939-3333.

There is also the Caregiver Association of Ontario: Find Support - Ontario Caregiver Organization they have peer support available and some other great resources. If you are looking for private counseling/ fee for service I imagine most counselors are equipped to talk about what your wife is going through.

Do you know if the lung cancer is primary or is it the initial cancer that spread to your lungs?

We are here for you!

Lacey
Melty
17 Posts
This is you S2020, we’re checking those links so thank you
Melty
17 Posts
Lacey_Moderator:
Hi Melty

I'm so glad you reached out.

Our Cancer Information Helpline can try and help you find something local. You can reach them at 1-888-939-3333.

There is also the Caregiver Association of Ontario: Find Support - Ontario Caregiver Organization they have peer support available and some other great resources. If you are looking for private counseling/ fee for service I imagine most counselors are equipped to talk about what your wife is going through.

Do you know if the lung cancer is primary or is it the initial cancer that spread to your lungs?

We are here for you!

Lacey

Hi Lacey, they think it’s spread from my initial HPV head & neck cancer that we beat in 2019. They’re still determining if it’s growing but we’ve already sent my initial cancer samples to be tested for the immunotherapy so we’re very proactive. I also qualify for a clinical trial for a booster drug for the keytruda, so that’s good too

Melty

Thank you for sharing more.

Sounds like things are well in hand and you have some good treatment options. Keep us posted and feel free to use the search bar on our site to find conversations about Keytruda and Immunotherapy- there are lots!

Wishing you all the best!
Lacey
altachica
87 Posts
Hello Melty‍ . Can you explain the problem you had with Wellspring? I am quite happy with the Oasis Advanced Cancer Support Group that I am in which is offered by Wellspring. Is this the Caregiver Support you asked them about?

https://wellspring.ca/online-programs/programs/all-programs/caregivers-connect-support-and-relaxation/
Trillium
959 Posts
Hello Melty‍ - So sorry you and your family have to go on a second roller coaster ride. Glad you are helping to get her help so she can better be there for you!

I was really happy with the two therapists that provide the SCALE program for caregivers below. Although this program runs with the free supports it looks like it has finished and the videos are there to view which would be good too but it sounds like she needs some one on one.

These therapists are available for a fee and do phone sessions. You can find their contact info on this page.

https://ontariocaregiver.ca/scale-program/#

Their helpline will also be able to assist you in finding support.

I also was directed to a free therapist by the social worker in the oncology dept where my son was treated. It is very helpful to be able to talk it out with a professional!

Let us know if you need more resources.

Hugs for your wife
Trillium
Melty
17 Posts
altachica:
Hello Melty‍ . Can you explain the problem you had with Wellspring? I am quite happy with the Oasis Advanced Cancer Support Group that I am in which is offered by Wellspring. Is this the Caregiver Support you asked them about?

https://wellspring.ca/online-programs/programs/all-programs/caregivers-connect-support-and-relaxation/

Actually wellspring called us today and it was really great! When I posted this initially, we had a couple of interactions with them and they kept saying they’d get someone to call us so we were frustrated but now they really came through and my wife spoke to a councillor who also had a husband diagnosed with cancer.

Trillium
959 Posts
Melty‍ - so glad she quikly found someone helpful to talk to! Thanks for letting us know.

May you both find some peaceful days as you move forward.
Trillium
+ Reply