+ Reply
Fathers Throat Cancer - Worries, concerns and questions
Pleuvoir
22 Posts
I have not made a post in a long time as it’s been hectic for myself and family. I hope everyone is keeping safe and doing well!

my father had prostate cancer in 2019 and was treated and beat it, he has lived a hard life and is stuck in his ways so many old habits didn’t change much. 2020 he was diagnosed with throat cancer and got radiation treatment that he finished in Dec 2020. He’s u able to successfully quit smoking but has tried, also still drinks beer. He’s cut down a bit but not able to stop and I understand how difficult that can be.

Thankfully he did not have any severe skin side effects but obviously can’t eat solids and has a lot of throat pain managed with pain meds. He’s stubborn and set in his ways and has accepted the inevitable sadly and prefers to enjoy the time he has left. All I can do is love him and be a positive support.

Bringing us to now, he drinks ensure and water and beer, can’t eat, can’t sleep at night and naps a lot in the day. Suddenly and more noticeable today a lump has developed around his Adam’s apple, almost covering the whole thing and his feet are swollen. He’s been advised to go to the hospital to be assessed and I hope we can get him to go today.

I wonder what this could be and would appreciate some feedback and experiences just to give me an idea of what to possibly expect and how I can better understand and support him. I hope we can encourage him to go to the hospital ASAP but I’ve never had a close family member with cancer not know what to expect after throat cancer treatment etc

I did talk to some amazing members as well and hope they come across this post :)
3 Replies
MCoaster
655 Posts
Pleuvoir Welcome back.

I am so sorry that you not only have to deal with your father having cancer but also with the emotions and frustrations that brings. "All I can do is love him and be a positive support" says it all.

You mention having members reply to your previous posts. If you cannot remember their names but want to renew contact then click on on the magnifying glass on the right hand corner of the yellow strip at the top of the page and type in your name in the search section. All of your posts should be there.

Take care of yourself.

MCoaster

MCoaster
655 Posts
Pleuvoir

I must apologize for the size of print in my last post! Must learn how to use font size!!!!!!

Warm wishes.

MCoaster
Cynthia Mac
3299 Posts
Pleuvoir

I found your smoking thread, and discovered that I had responded back in November. Your post here was 4 days ago... were you able to get him to hospital to be checked?
+ Reply