+ Reply
Mouth and Lip sores
SQLC
9 Posts
My husband has mouth sores which are alleviated with salt water gargles but today he woke up with one on his lip. Any suggestions, I know they are chemo related.
12 Replies
SQLC‍ I'm sorry to hear about the mouth sores and now one on his lip. When I had chemo, I relied on Biotene to help with the sores in my mouth. It's been about 10 years and I still use Biotene from time to time. Having said that, I didn't have problems with my lips. I'm wondering if it would work if you just put some of the salt water that you usually gargle with on a cloth/gauze and then dab it on the sore. I know, with radiation burns, sometimes saline solutions are recommended.

Having said that, everyone is different and it would probably be best to ask your husband's cancer team what they recommend. What works for one person does not work for another and I certainly don't want to suggest something that could ultimately make matters worse.

cancertakesflight
Runner Girl
1404 Posts
Hi SQLC‍ ,

I didn't get chemo sores in my mouth but I did get them in my nose. I found a recommendation on a UK breast cancer site to try diaper rash cream. It worked like a charm. Put it in my nose at bed time and the sores were all but gone by morning. Might work on his lip.

Runner Girl
SQLC
9 Posts
Never would have guessed that. Thanks.
dmarie
58 Posts
SQLC‍ Have you talked to his chemo team about this? When I had mouth sores from chemo and the salt water gargle was not working my oncology doctor prescribed something called "Magic Mouthwash", It worked far better that salt water. Hope he finds some relief.
law
385 Posts
Hello SQLC‍ ,
I am so glad you thought to write on this site. Most posts here are due to crises, as nobody is thrilled to be up close and personal with cancer. Those diagnosed and those who are caregiving are scared, lost, fighting, resigned, and certainly not happy.
I feel for you and your husband as mouth/ lip sores are painful and hinder using the mouth while not knowing how the heck to heal them.
I had sores covering my tongue and was in great pain and quite freaked out. Biotene may help your husband; I found my solace in a red liquid in a small plastic bottle called Lidodan 2%. It is a topical anesthetic which may be applied or gargled and then spit out. Expensive, no prescription needed, and works wonders for numbing every skin surface it coats. You must ask a pharmacist for it as it is kept behind their counter because it is classified as an anesthetic.
I did not have chemo, so I think Runner Girl‍ , cancertakesflight‍, and dmarie‍ gave you some great info; I only had radiation to my neck and throat for tongue cancer.
Please continue to keep us posted as we are very empathetic and supportive of you and your husband.
law
Pinarello1
33 Posts
Prescription akabutus mouthwash does wonders. Two days and all sores are gone.
SQLC
9 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. A friend suggested Amosan which is an antiseptic rinse. It seems to be helping.
law
385 Posts
Hi SQLC‍ ,
Any additional positive results with the Amosan? I haven't tried it but I am curious to learn more about its effects.
How are you and your husband holding up?
law
PinkRouge
3 Posts
I found that Amosan worked better than the prescription Magic Mouthwash. I found that I only got mouth sores when I wasn't diligent in swishing with baking soda in water enough times during the day (at least 6 times during the day). After the third round of chemo I was really diligent about frequent baking soda swishing and didn't get mouth sores that time around. My teeth got really white too. :) The Amosan was really quick at healing the ones I did get when I wasn't as diligent.
SQLC
9 Posts
We are managing the chemo symptoms. Another treatment tomorrow and I think he’ll try the baking sod’s rinse right away to see if he can keep the mouth sores away. If not the Amosan helps. The relief is pretty instant.
Runner Girl
1404 Posts
SQLC

Have him try sipping cool/cold water during his chemo treatment. I did this and did not get any mouth sores, as noted above, they appeared in my nose instead.

Good luck with treatment tomorrow.

Runner Girl
Jomilks
26 Posts
Hello SQLC‍ I wanted to share I used coconut oil during treatments and that helped quite a bit. It was suggested by my oral hygienist who also underwent chemo. I just rubbed a small amount inside my mouth and on my lips. Hope this helps. Wishing you and your husband all the best.
+ Reply