Cbc marketplace mask reviews

Cbc marketplace mask reviews

Posted by Chocoholic on Nov 13, 2020 2:33 pm

91b249a872beb0a6240876282fbf98d3-huge-ma

Re: Cbc marketplace mask reviews

Posted by Trillium on Nov 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Chocoholic‍ - This is great to know. Saw this on CBC news this morning. You can leave your n95 masks out to air and dry and reuse them. I leave mine in the car then circulate after a few days.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 14, 2020 9:44 am

When it was first recommended that we start wearing masks, I did a lot of research because I didn’t want to make something that would offer less-than-optimal protection to the wearer. I only ended up making about 30 masks before commercially made ones became available, and when they did, I became a discerning buyer as a result. Here is what I learned:
  • Tightly woven fabric - like quilting cotton - is more effective than a knitted fabric (stretchy, like t-shirt fabric).
  • Two layers of tightly woven fabric is a minimum. Most of the videos I watched also recommended two layers of a medium-weight interfacing, and I ended up using one layer of heavyweight interfacing and one layer of medium. Yes, it made the masks more stiff, but, putting the heavy interfacing against the outer layer of the mask helps to keep the mask away from your face.
  • Because woven masks are stiffer, a nose wire really helps fit the mask to the face better.
  • Regardless of the type of mask, look for masks that have pockets for an additional filter. Even several layers of tissue or a cut-down paper napkin offers an additional layer(s) of protection, however
  • you can buy filter inserts. The one photographed below fits into most commercially made masks including the ones sold as fundraisers for the BC Cancer Foundation.* PM2.5 means they will filter particles as small as 2.5 micrometers - about 100th the diameter of a human hair. They are made of various materials, including non-woven material like the stuff used in reusable shopping bags, and charcoal, and I’ve seen them available in 3 and 5 layers.
* I live in Ontario, but purchased several of these masks. I have no affiliation with the company who manufactured them.
9437a36bf9009283577e4fdff91fab11-huge-84
I hope this helps you protect yourself and your families as thoroughly as possible.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Chocoholic on Nov 19, 2020 1:01 am

Cynthia Mac‍  thank you for that great information. Another thing I started doing was wearing those clear gloves when shopping. Clear gloves aren't as obvious. When I'm out and about in town, there is no place to frequently wash my hands (or go  to the bathroom) after touching all those items. Also the constant hand sanitizing was irritating my skin.
That said, I have to add I'm not comfortable with all these masks and gloves being thrown into the garbage. 

Posted by CCC888 on Nov 19, 2020 11:27 am

Now at hospital for my chemo. Being told no cotton mask (mine is a cotton one with the pocket-filter in middle) and is provided a medical grade paper mask.

Posted by Chocoholic on Nov 20, 2020 1:16 am

CCC888‍  Wow. So those filter inserts are not acceptable in a hospital setting.
A box of those blue surgical masks were up to $50 a box after they announced the pandemic. Now my pharmacy has them for $25. 
As the "second" wave of Covid is now underway, I guess it'll be up to $50 again.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 21, 2020 7:19 am

CCC888‍ , when my Dad was in the hospital and I was able to visit, I made a point of wearing the blue surgical masks. Each time I got to the hospital, they asked if it was a new mask, so it doesn’t surprise me that they are insisting on you wearing their masks.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 23, 2020 9:52 am

Chocoholic‍ - I don’t think it’s that the mask inserts are a problem; it’s that the hospital staff can’t *tell* if there’s an insert inside the mask pocket. With a surgical-style mask, they know what’s what at a glance.