Palliative clinic - scheduled

Palliative clinic - scheduled

Posted by ws33 on Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm

when there is a palliative clinic scheduled, what does it mean? Is this it? no more hope?

Re: Palliative clinic - scheduled

Posted by Boby1511 on Oct 15, 2020 5:52 pm

ws33‍ 

I think it means no curative intent... like pain meds. and sometimes chemo. 
The extra services offered. About assistance in quality of life. (chronic conditions too).

Posted by ws33 on Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

thank you.

Posted by Essjay on Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm

ws33‍ I’m sorry you find yourself feeling like there is no hope.  It’s hard to see a family member deal with cancer especially when we know it will take them from us at some point. The best we can hope for is that their journey is as easy and pain free as possible. Hearing that an illness isn’t curable, and that treatment is designed to prolong life and relieve symptoms only is tough to deal with. A palliative clinic appointment must feel like you are being passed along, but I would hope that your fathers doctors have been talking to you about his condition...

Palliative care teams provide integrated support for patients and families coping with a life threatening illness. This includes the physical things like pain and symptom management, access to aids and services for the practical daily life issues, but also emotional supports for everyone as they deal with your father’s illness, and as you all prepare for his death.

Heres a link to an overview of the services you can expect:
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/palliative-care.html
and there are links within to your own province.

Your question is a good one for the clinic appointment. When is it scheduled? Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes to you all, Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Boby1511 on Oct 15, 2020 10:48 pm

ws33‍ 
I am sorry you are feeling this way. My heart goes out to you.
Essjay‍ Has provided much greater words.

I too have been referred for palliative care... 

Posted by ws33 on Oct 16, 2020 12:13 am

Thank you, Essjay.
Thank you, Body1511.
I really don't know what to say.

Posted by JenG on Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am

ws33‍ 
Hey there,

My mom had her first palliative appointment two years ago this December and she’s still here. It is brought into the picture right away so the patient can access any of their services. Those can include pain meds, counselling, treatment options, scan results, nutrition, etc. 

It doesn’t necessarily mean the end. It definitely means more support. 

Take care of each other. 

jen

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 16, 2020 10:31 am

ws33‍ 

I'm glad you posted this question. Cancer can often feel like learning a new language. Just to reiterate what Essjay‍ said.

Palliative care is a type of health care for patients and families facing life-limiting illness. Palliative care helps patients to achieve the best possible quality of life right up until the end of life. Palliative care is sometimes considered end-of-life care, with a main focus on comfort. However, it is increasingly recognized that a palliative approach, as part of health care is beneficial early on in serious and chronic illness.

In Canada and around the world, quality palliative care:

• focuses on the concerns of patients and their families;
  • pays close attention to physical symptoms such as pain, nausea, loss of appetite and confusion;
  • considers the emotional and spiritual concerns of patients and families;
  • ensures that care is respectful and supportive of patient dignity;
  • respects the social and cultural needs of patients and families;
  • uses a team approach that may include volunteers, social workers and spiritual leaders in addition to medical staff.

I think you may also find this helpful: 10 myths about palliative care from Canadian Virtual Hospice.

As JenG‍ shared a person can receive palliative care for years each situation is unique. Can you tell us a bit more about the diagnosis?

I hope this helpful,
Lacey

Posted by ws33 on Oct 16, 2020 8:15 pm

Thank you, JenG, for sharing. Much Appreciated. My best wishes to your mom.
Thank you, Lacey, for clarify. 

I just hope there is always hope. My father has been holding a positive attitude toward his illness. I hope there is nothing will lead him to believe there is no hope. His health is recently deteriorating, so I hope helps will bring positivity.