Caregiving from far away

Caregiving from far away

Posted by Lisa's mom on Sep 30, 2020 1:02 pm

I am Lisa's mom.  Main cancer is colorectal that has metastasized. (Stage 4).  I live in another province and Caregiving is done by phone, etc.  This is a worrisome situation.  Especially when, as recently happened,  there is a pain medication crisis.

I am looking to hopefully move close by temporarily to alleviate the worry and be of more help to her.

​​​​​​

Re: Caregiving from far away

Posted by Wendy Tea on Sep 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Lisa's mom‍  Welcome. I am sorry you and Lisa are going through this nasty disease together. Here is a link to Caregivers discussions under Forums to help you learn some tips and tricks. I know you will be more at ease when you can be with her. Best wishes. 
https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/35

Posted by Trillium on Sep 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Hello  Lisa's mom‍ .
Im so sorry your daughter has this diagnosis. I moved closer to family and to be able to assist my so with his disability and unfortunately he developed testicular cancer within 6 mths of my arrival. I am so grateful to have been here to help him through his cancer and he is very lucky to be cancer free.

You have come to the right place for support and understanding of your daughters cancer. There is a section for colorectal cancer and Many wonderful people there to help you.
https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/64

One person who comes to mind is Whitelilies‍ and she will get a notification of this post so hopefully will be along soon to talk with you. Ask any questions about navigating the sight etc.

Warm hugs to you and your family
Judy

Posted by Whitelilies on Sep 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Lisa's mom
hello
(link did NOT turn blue....I hope Lisa's mom SEES THIS.....)
Hello and welcome to our site.  It is a wonderful thing, that you have reached out.....to help, to get help.
That you are able and willing, to move closer to your daughter, to care for her is lovely.
At present....from another province....you can continue to call.....send a text...email.....mail a card, mail her a small journal to write her thoughts.....keep in touch.  It will be so meaningful, when you are together, under one roof.
Is Lisa currently getting treatment? Can you help get her to medical appointments?  Any bit of support and help will be appreciated.
She may, presently have bowel difficulties. (constipation/diarrhea)....both can be managed with a change in diet, over the counter products etc.....and to ask the medical staff for help.
Lemongrass Green Tea, was my go-to, just to pick up my spirits!

Sending you both virtual hugs....Please keep posting, ask anything, and we will respond.

Warmly
Whitelilies

Lillian
(Have/Had Stage 2/3 Colo-Rectal Cancer)

Posted by Lisa's mom on Nov 11, 2020 9:05 am

My daughter is now on palliative chemo every 3 weeks.  In between she has dealt wit the side effects of thrush, lethargy, weakness.  Cancer has spread to liver, sacrum and lung.  Her sister is with her at the moment and before that my husband was for 10 days.

We have plans for December 1st but are wondering about future travel restrictions.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Nov 11, 2020 9:49 am

Lisa's mom

It's nice to hear from you again.

It sounds like your family is really rallying around your daughter and wrapping her in support. How special for everyone to have their own time with her. 

There is so much uncertainty right now when it comes to travel. I wonder if your circumstances would be considered special due to her health situation. Have you decided on an airline? Would it be helpful to contact them to discuss?

This is a great resource that I hope you find helpful: Canadian Virtual Hospice it has info about palliative care, emotional health and so much more. 

Sending hugs,
Lacey

Posted by Trillium on Nov 11, 2020 8:54 pm

I’m so sorry for what’s happening with your daughter now. Hopefully you can work out the travel plans so you can see her. How are you doing, @Lisa’s mom?

Warmest of hugs
Judy