Accommodations

Accommodations

Posted by FunnyBunny on Sep 8, 2020 8:06 pm

Are there any places loved ones can rent for a discounted price, or organizations that assist with housing for immediate family of loved ones who are end stage palliative?

My family wants to travel for mum’s last Christmas and we are looking into options so we can all be together without renting many hotel rooms. This would be for B.C. (Fraser valley area). 

Re: Accommodations

Posted by Nicky01 on Sep 9, 2020 6:55 am

FunnyBunny‍ Good morning, sorry to hear about your mom,....here is what I found on the site for accommodations, 
https://www.cancer.ca/en/support-and-services/support-services/travel-and-accommodations-bc/?region=bc

Posted by Essjay on Sep 9, 2020 7:39 am

FunnyBunny‍ sorry you are having to make these plans, but what an amazing thing for your family to do. Aside from the options Nicky01‍ found, have you looked into AirBNB? You can often rent a full apartment or family home which might give you the space you need for a good price.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Lisa's mom on Oct 1, 2020 11:26 am

Since my daughter (4th stage colorectal) lives in Vancouver and I live in Ontario,  I have been told by BC Cancer that due to Covid there is no alternate accommodation for out-of-province family.  It was suggested to try airbnb in her area.  So will try that.  Waiting to get my flush first.

Posted by Lisa's mom on Oct 1, 2020 11:28 am

So I meant:  waiting to get my first flu shot first.  Good old spellchecker! !!!

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Lisa's mom

Sorry I am just seeing your post now. I know you mentioned that you were in touch with BC Cancer about accommodation. Wondering if you contacted our lodge here in Vancouver?

There are some COVID based eligibility requirements that would have to be met and not sure how many family members you need accommodation for but I spoke to the lodge manager today and she said to call the lodge at 604 879 9131. If they cannot accommodate you, they may be able to find alternatives for you.

I hope this helps

Lianne