Caregivers Who Lose Their Spouse To Cancer

Re: Caregivers Who Lose Their Spouse To Cancer

Posted by Brighty on Jul 20, 2020 1:53 pm

MCoaster‍  you are not intruding and thank you for pointing  that out.   Yes, sometimes the councellors are not a good match.   In that case it is worth it to try another one.  Once you do have the right  one they can do wonders.   I'll vouch for that.  I was suicidal at the time.. that's how bad I was.  But with the right councellor I'm doing mostly  pretty well now.    I do admit to still having dark days from time to time but my good days outweigh it.   
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Totally agree with MCoaster‍ , my "grief couselor" frequently misses appointments. It's like I have to poke and prod to get her to give me a call. instead of feeling supported, i feel ignored. Not a good place to be.
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Brighty on Jul 20, 2020 1:57 pm

That should not be happening  Laika57‍ .  That is so unprofessional.    I don't even think I heard of a councellor  doing that.   Is there some way to request  another one?    I would go to the family  doctor.   That's who got me in.    It can take months but I emphasized it is an emergency and I got in real quick. 

Posted by Brighty on Jul 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Laika57‍  if you are ok with it I can private message  you the grief place I went to.  It is in markham.  Is that  too far for you?     Thry also  councel caregivers.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jul 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Thank you to CentralAB‍  for starting this post and to everyone who has shared so openly here.
I have not lost a souse but I did lose my dad to this dreadful disease and saw the impact of it on my mom. She met my dad when she was 13, married at 21 and she was 52 when he passed ( he was 56 ). She will be 80 next week and has never remarried. She has had a very full life and despite having many suitors, she was quite content.

Lianne

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 20, 2020 9:09 pm

Brighty‍ thanks for offering. Markham is a tad far. I will be talking to Ian's social worker and ask her if there is a way to get someone else. She will be back on Wednesday. She's pretty good. But only there 2 days a week...
admittedly, the last bit of help she gave me, I haven't followed through on. Just not sure I'm ready to call his delirium-behaviour "domestic violence". Especially when he's in hospital basically unable to talk...
ah so many facets to my issues. Maybe I should go through my boxes of books and find that copy of mind over mood ;-) 
Have you hugged your dog today?