Young Moms

Young Moms

Posted by Emd92 on Jun 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Any young women here who are caregivers for their spouse? My husband and I are 28.husband was diagnosed at 26 with stage 4 colorectal and is terminal. We have a 7 month old son. Hoping to connect to someone in a similar position. Just looking for a friend to talk to 

Re: Young Moms

Posted by Brighty on Jun 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Emd92‍  I'm so sorry for what you are going through.    There is a group called 'young adults ' under forums.     You might want to join there or check out the discussions.       I'm not really sure what  age groups are on there.    Lianne_adminCCS‍  do you know of any young caregivers on the site who may he able to connect  with our new member?    Thank you.
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Emd92‍ Hello....so glad you posted!  I see Brighty‍ has responded and has tagged our admin..

I'm an "old mom" with breast cancer, but a very good friend of mine - was your age when her husband was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Some things that helped her was support from family, friends, colleagues, neighbours - anyone that you can feel comfortable asking for helping or sharing.  Taking care of the caregiver is so important as well.  During COVID, groups are gathering, but some are online.  Do you live in a centre that might have a support group for cancer caregivers?  At www.cancer.ca there is a community service locator that might help in this regard:

https://www.cancer.ca/en/support-and-services/support-services/find-services-in-your-area/?region=on

So wonderful that you also have a 7 month old son - it will soon get very busy with crawling, walking - eating cool foods!! Hopefully this can be a positive distraction from cancer treatments.

How is your husband doing? 

I'm so glad you posted.  We are here.  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Emd92‍ 

I am sorry for what brings you here. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for your family.

I did a search for a member in your similar situation.  I know you have connected with a couple people here and some have a husband with a terminal diagnosis but maybe not in your age group.

I did want to introduce you to JillGrace‍  who is also a young mom and is a caregiver for her mom with  stage 4 colorectal cancer. I am hoping you two can connect over those similarities as I am sure there are some common challenges.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I want to share a resource for both of you if interested. It is a website called Canadian Virtual Hospice and has a wealth of information for dealing with a stage 4 diagnosis  
https://www.virtualhospice.ca/en_US/Main+Site+Navigation/Home.aspx

Please reach out as you need.

Lianne

Posted by Emd92 on Jun 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Thank you so much everyone 

Posted by Danielle518 on Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

Emd92‍ I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. My husband was also diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer a little over 2 years ago. I am 31 and we have a 6 year old son, I'm always looking for someone in a similar situation to me and have had no luck. I sent you a private message as well if you want to connect.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 30, 2020 11:27 am

I'm so glad you found each other Danielle518‍  and Emd92‍ 

Can you share how you are currently balancing caregiving and parenting? Has COVID made things more challenging?

Posted by Emd92 on Jun 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Danielle518‍ I'm so sorry you are going through this as well. It's so so hard. I sent you a private message 
​​​