Moms new diagnosis and ct bone scan

Moms new diagnosis and ct bone scan

Posted by Spalta on Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am

Hi everyone 

My mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer tumor 4.8 grade 2 invasive ductal they have ordered a bone scan and ct scan and then starting chemo for four months then looking at surgery.
I have googled myself crazy and all I keep reading is ct scan and bone scan are not common unless spread is suspected 

I want to know is anyone has had similar experience as I am driving myself crazy to the point that I cant sleep

Thanks again everyone
Sonia 

Re: Moms new diagnosis and ct bone scan

Posted by VioletFlower on Jun 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Spalta‍ 
Hello Sonia

My son was diagnosed with testicular cancer a few months back. I don’t know what the protocol is for scans but I was glad they did them so we would know if there is any spread. Maybe if you thought of the scans as a way to rule out spread it may ease your anxiety a little. I know it’s hard but I am preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. Sorry your family has to go down this road but you will find comfort here with so many wonderful folks who have been on a similar journey to yours. 

Hugs
Judy

Posted by ashcon on Jun 20, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi Spalta‍ 
I am so sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis, but am so glad you found this site to vet questions and vent thoughts and feelings.

Rest easy - scans and tests before treatments are not unusual at all.  It is typically done to get a baseline for a couple of reasons, ONE to get a picture of effectiveness of treatment (expect another set of scans after her treatments are done); and TWO to assess if any new cancers or mets happen down the road, once she is in post-treatment phase.

Before I started my treatment for breast cancer, I had CT scans of bones, abdomen, and brain, + an MRI halfway through my chemo treatments.  I then had post-treatment CT scans again of bone, abdomen, and brain. 
I won't lie...waiting for the results was very anxious times, but thankfully all came back clear each time, and I gave a big THANK YOU to our medical system for being so thorough and diligent.

Are you able to be with your mother during these tests and appointments? Or are you supporting her from a distance?
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Essjay on Jun 21, 2020 9:24 am

Hi Spalta‍ I was diagnosed with IDC breast cancer in July 2018, grade 3, stage 1 Triple negative. I had a bone scan and abdominal CT because I had pain in my back that was a concern. My bone scan lit up like a Christmas tree in my back, and the CT showed that I had compression fractures and a damaged rib. I knew how these had happened after my dog knocked me off my feet a couple of months before diagnosis. It wasn’t cancer. I am thankful for those injuries now, because they led to a diagnosis of osteoporosis which I needed to address, plus I have a baseline CT for comparison if ever something changes as a result of my cancer. 

Please don’t be too worried about the scans. With cancer the doctors are super cautious. They don’t want to miss anything, even if they really don’t think there is anything to find. Mom is in good hands and getting good care.

Would it help if you talked to a counsellor? The counselling service at Moms cancer clinic is open to family members too. I found them really helpful through diagnosis and treatment, and my counsellor gives me a call to check in every so often post treatment. I learned mindfulness and ways to cope with waiting and uncertainty, but just having someone to offload my worries onto was the biggest help. 

best wishes to you and your Mom. Essjay xx
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Spalta on Jun 22, 2020 1:10 am

thank you so much for your responses, it’s amazing to Hear all these personal experiences. They have actually helped calm me down over the past day and thank you so for the recommendation for caregivers I am defneitly going to look into that. It’s really helpful to hear that this is apart of the process from all of you and I can begin to ease my mind a bit hoping for the best. Thank you all so much 

Posted by INFINITY on Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm

After my mastectomy, which found the breast cancer had spread to half my lymph nodes, my oncologist told me I would have other scans of my brain, liver, lungs and bones to see it hadn't spread anywhere else.  (I had no symptoms that might lead them to think it had spread they just wanted to make sure)  I was pregnant at the time so I had to wait until my chemo / radiation treatment was done and baby was born before I could have some of the scans to confirm it had not spread.  You will often find that if anything isn't feeling right they will scan you in the near future too... (anxiety before and after every checkup eases over time :))...I am 7 year breast cancer survivor Stage 3C ... 6 cm tumour and half my lymph nodes... phew all good now... every scan is stressful but it is nice to have a baseline for them to compare to in the future... so anything that looks funny will get picked up faster.  Hope your mom is doing well and you are too (it can be more stressful on our support system)... I am sure she is thankful you are helping her navigate her diagnosis.  Smiles and Hugs Infinity