Telling People......and "Coping" with their responses

Telling People......and "Coping" with their responses

Posted by Whitelilies on Jan 6, 2020 7:46 pm

Here is a link from the Globe and Mail (I hope you can all open it).
It is a column, whereby everyday people can write, about any topic, and send it for print, in the Globe and Mail.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/first-person/article-when-someone-tells-you-they-have-cancer-the-response-is-simpler-than/
When someone tells you they have cancer, the response is simpler than you think - The Globe and Mail
First Person is a daily personal piece submitted by readers. Have a story to tell? See our guidelines at tgam.ca/essayguide. I have cancer. Please don’t start telling me about your friend ...
www.theglobeandmail.com

Re: Telling People......and "Coping" with their responses

Posted by Ten77 on Jan 7, 2020 8:31 am

Love this! 

Posted by Cobble223 on Jan 7, 2020 9:05 am

Lovely - thanks for sharing, Whitelilies‍ . I will save this.

Posted by CentralAB on Jan 7, 2020 11:39 am

Whitelilies:
Here is a link from the Globe and Mail (I hope you can all open it).
It is a column, whereby everyday people can write, about any topic, and send it for print, in the Globe and Mail.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/first-person/article-when-someone-tells-you-they-have-cancer-the-response-is-simpler-than/

When someone tells you they have cancer, the response is simpler than you think - The Globe and Mail
First Person is a daily personal piece submitted by readers. Have a story to tell? See our guidelines at tgam.ca/essayguide. I have cancer. Please don’t start telling me about your friend ...
www.theglobeandmail.com

That was a good essay! Thanks!

Posted by Mammabear on Jan 8, 2020 8:00 pm

great article. thanks for sharing

Posted by Ohmy on Jan 9, 2020 7:22 am

This article really hit me. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said I look pale I would be a rich woman. The other areas of this article are also very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by Laika57 on Jan 9, 2020 8:40 am

Just read this article this morning. then, as i am out walking the dog, on the phone bawling my eyes out talking to the rep at american express, explaining that i don't know how much of a payment i need to make, because my husband had a mental breakdown when he learned he had cancer - she goes and prattles on about all her family members with cancer and mental issues. the disbelieve that she would do that actually stunned me back into myself. naturally, like everyone else, she can't actually tell me anything because i am not on the account.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am

Laika57‍ , once again, I am sorry that you are having to go through such experiences.

This is further evidence of the need for you and your husband to develop a plan once he is able. You can now argue that the way things worked out this time has affected his credit rating, because you were unable to obtain information from various companies. I hope that you have some credit of your own in the event that you need it. (I hope you’re starting a list for developing that plan!)

In today’s world of electronic statements, it is especially important for couples to have contingency plans in place, because statements and payment information often arrive in password-protected e-mail accounts.

I’m thinking of you and wishing you strength today.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Mary1 on Jan 10, 2020 11:50 am

Thank you so much.  My husband and I as his caregiver, will hang on tightly to this.  As well intentioned as friends and family are, and despite the fact their efforts come from a place of love..........  oh their comments can sometimes be so unfortunate!   😉