Parents Both Stage 4 Cancer

Parents Both Stage 4 Cancer

Posted by NancyA on Jan 6, 2020 7:05 pm

Hello,

Reaching out thought I might need some support for the next chapter coming up with my 2 parents who both have stage 4 lung cancer. I am feeling overwhelmed anxious, and sad. 

My Dad, is coming up 3 years with his diagnosis which is a real miracle.  My Mom just found out 2 weeks ago.  We are going to appointment tomorrow to sed what her CT scans reveal.

I appreciate ANY recommendations support, to people who have hone through the loss of parent (s).

N

Re: Parents Both Stage 4 Cancer

Posted by Brighty on Jan 7, 2020 6:44 am

Hi NancyA‍ ...I saw your other post and answered it... I hope you can find the post.     Im not sure what section it ended up in.   Let me see if I can find it.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Brighty on Jan 7, 2020 6:55 am

Hi  NancyA‍ .   It's the post where you put ( caregiver)  I reponded to that one.   I hope you can find it    Let me know if you have any other questions.   Thinking of you.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 7, 2020 7:52 am

Hi, NancyA‍ , welcome to Cancer Connection, the place where no one wants to venture, but many end up being so glad they did. (Myself included) I saw this post first, and I’m sure I’ll come across the other one soon.

I’m very sorry to hear that your Mom has contracted the same type of cancer. I am caregiver for my Dad, whose lung cancer metastasized to his liver last summer. He was Stage 2b or 3a when he had his surgery a couple years ago, but the cancer came back to his liver this past summer so he has been in chemo and immunotherapy since then.

My Mom passed away suddenly just two months before Dad received his diagnosis. In a way, she saved his life, because when she passed, we all went to our doctors to get checked, and that’s when Dad’s doctor found a spot on his lung.

When they found his Mets last summer, I put a lot of things in my own life on hold - travel plans, a home renovation, etc. - because I realized that life was going to be re-jigged to fit Dad’s treatment schedule. Now that we’re into a routine, I’m still reluctant to plan too far out, but I am beginning to make plans again.

Please let me know what you need to know about.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by CentralAB on Jan 7, 2020 11:33 am

NancyA:
Hello,

Reaching out thought I might need some support for the next chapter coming up with my 2 parents who both have stage 4 lung cancer. I am feeling overwhelmed anxious, and sad. 

My Dad, is coming up 3 years with his diagnosis which is a real miracle.  My Mom just found out 2 weeks ago.  We are going to appointment tomorrow to sed what her CT scans reveal.

I appreciate ANY recommendations support, to people who have hone through the loss of parent (s).

N

Wow, you have double-duty here! I am sure there will be some moments of challenge for you, but you have come to one of the best online places for support. There are many people here who will be able to help anytime you ask, because they have either been there, or are there. I am caregiver for my wife who has advanced granuloma cell-tumor, with mets to the liver, and I suspect other areas by now. We are going into year 5 soon. Doctors told us twice now that she only has a few months! I lost my Dad a few years back now from Leukemia.

It sounds like your dad is sort of stable now, if he is into his third year?

Let us know anytime you need to chat.

Posted by NancyA on Jan 12, 2020 8:44 am

Hello,

Thank you all for the messages. I am not sure if this will message everyone who responded, ( I cannot than you enough, for your time you took to send me a message, they are all greatly appreciated). 

Yes my Dad is stable at the moment. We are taking him to his appointment KW this Wednesday.  He was given 6-mos to yr and still hanging in.

With going thru this with my Dad already if has helped with my Mothers travels. 

My Moms Doctors appt. Went better than expected it has not gone to other areas yet, just lung. Waiting for petscan now. We are worried it may be in lining of lung? 

Thinking of everyone, sending healing thoughts.  Thank you all for your support. I hope I may be of support too. One day at a time.

N

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 13, 2020 7:54 am

NancyA‍ , I’m glad your mom’s prognosis improved at her last appointment. I hope for you that the PET scan goes as well. Did they explain what that scan does?

I my Dad’s case the PET scan turned up a second location, in the same lung, about 3 cm away from the spot that was large enough to see on the CT scan, truly a “best case scenario.” I hope they’ve caught your Mom’s cancer just as early.

I’m glad, too that your Dad’s condition is stable, and will hold out hope that his treatment continues to work for him.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying