just stff

just stff

Posted by Vox on Dec 23, 2019 5:09 pm

things are happening and who knows if its cancer related or not
hubby about 3 weeks ago had 3 grand mal seizures (he does have epilpsy for about 40 years)
then he got a- lung infection, 2 times - took antibiotics and prednisone
his chronic back pain is worse so they upped his fentanyl to 37mgs

he has all these new pains - they only last for about 10 minutes but as he says the are a 15 on the scale of 1 - 10

we meet the palliative dr. tomorrow... so maybe he will have some answers....

now, can I get something off my chest please it may be considered political...
hubby team is out of both a catholic hospital and a catholic hospice - he didnt make this choice, its because of where we live.
when talking about assistive death we were told that neither the hospital nor the hospice can/will participate but if we want it done at home then the doctor can do it.
so my issue is.... isnt assistive dying part of the process of palliative care?...I dont like and neither does my husband the fact that he will have this dr look after him for however long... but cannot or will not participate in his choice to die... yes the dr by law has to help hubby find a dr and hospital/hospice that will help him in his choice... but its just bizzare to me

hubby does see a dr at PMH and they have agreed to start the interview process through them... so having his choice fulfilled is going to happen, where and when he wants it... but it sucks that he wont know the drs who will be participating... (hope it makes sense)

Re: just stff

Posted by ACH2015 on Dec 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi Vox‍ 

I am sorry to hear you and your husband are in this situation. Unfortunately, the individual hospice and palliative care centers do not have to provide MaID as a service. I agree with your sentiments and how the process is broken without universal provisions provided.

I looked up several sites and am surprised how difficult it is to get some basic listings of Palliative and Hospice Care that will allow for Medical Assistance in Dying (MaiD).

I did find the link for Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association and provided the contacts for services available in your community below:

How can I find out about palliative care services available in my community?

The following resources may be helpful:

Alternatively, perhaps when speaking with the Palliative Care Doctor you mentioned, or a social worker or the Doctor at PMH, they could assist in providing a listing of Hospices that do allow for Medically assisted dying on site close to your home.

I hope you can find a place that will provide the care, support, and assistance needed for you and your husband.

Keep well

ACH2015

Posted by CentralAB on Dec 23, 2019 8:33 pm

when talking about assistive death we were told that neither the hospital nor the hospice can/will participate but if we want it done at home then the doctor can do it.
so my issue is.... isnt assistive dying part of the process of palliative care?...I dont like and neither does my husband the fact that he will have this dr look after him for however long... but cannot or will not participate in his choice to die... yes the dr by law has to help hubby find a dr and hospital/hospice that will help him in his choice... but its just bizzare to me

hubby does see a dr at PMH and they have agreed to start the interview process through them... so having his choice fulfilled is going to happen, where and when he wants it... but it sucks that he wont know the drs who will be participating... (hope it makes sense)

Hello Vox‍  Im so sorry to hear of the uphill battle you & your husband are facing. And I can imagine that this time of year makes it even harder. The MAID thing is an emotional topic for many, and that would include health-care professionals. I guess the thing to realize is that it is lawful now across Canada, it is federal legislation. I have heard of some people even having to travel to other locations to get it done. Even tho its not something I would personally consider, its not right that people should have to travel away from home to do what is lawful to do. It just makes their situation even harder. It sounds like your husband is having troubles with symptom management/control, and if it were me; thats the first thing I would try to get addressed. Do you have a home care nurse that can come in to help assess? In most cases, there is usually a way to manage the pain, and you should try pestering anyone or everyone that might be able to help with that. I know from experience that its really hard to watch our spouse/loved one suffer needlessly. Let us know how things are going when you can. You'll both be in my prayers.

Posted by Kims1961 on Dec 24, 2019 7:26 am

Vox‍ Thank you for your candor  - a very important point.

A friend in a similar situation called MAID ( Medical Assistance in Dying) Canada directly.  They were able to help her out.  What helped my friend's mother was just knowing she had this option - she may never use it but it's also a choice.  There website has some great info. on it as well:

https://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/get_the_facts_assisted_dying_law_in_canada

Thank you for your important post . Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom