Anti depressants or not?

Re: Anti depressants or not?

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 4, 2019 7:56 pm

I had to write in and say just how proud I am of my Dad.  In addition to his talk with his doctor last week, he had a chat with his oncologist on Tuesday about how he has been feeling. The oncologist offered counselling, but he’s going to hold off for a few weeks while he sees how his medication change goes. He said to me tonight that he’s already feeling a little better, and he has been “pushing himself” a little - things like getting back to his treadmill and going up for coffee with the guys.

From a caregiver perspective, I encourage you to be frank with your caregiver about the depth of your feelings. While you may not want to worry them in the moment, we can’t help or get you to help or encourage you to seek help in the absence of full knowledge. I learned today (after being present at two doctor’s appointments) that Dad’s feelings got deeper than what he had previously told any of us. When we find out after the fact, it makes us feel like we should have seen the signs, or at least seen them sooner, and that’s hard to detect, especially when you don’t live together.

Communication is so important.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Re: Anti depressants or not?

Posted by Brighty on Dec 4, 2019 8:04 pm

Cynthia Mac‍  yes I agree comunication is so important.   Dan never communicated with me his feelings.     He kept everything  in and it ate him alive.     If he would have shared with me maybe I would have been able  to do so much more for him.      But  I felt helpless all the time and didn't know what I could do for him.   I could only work with what I had and what I knew and  I still feel guilty about it.      It's not a good way to feel but I also had to respect his right to not want to talk to me about it.      
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.