Lobectomy iknow more now and have questions

Lobectomy iknow more now and have questions

Posted by Happy2 on Nov 1, 2019 11:39 am

I've been in touch with you  maybe twice but my situation was vague now it is down to the line.

I have a date and I know what they will do.

They will remove the top part of my left lung.

Maybe that will be all I need.v

That sounded great for a few days but now all of a sudden  and realise that I'm going to take large part of my left lung out. !!

I need help from you to know what to do.

There's always somebody around to ask advice from for everything.  
There is always someone with a root canal you can ask... What was it like? There's always someone 2 help but not in this case.

I need help from you to know what it's like to have that kind of surgery. Of course we are all different but I have never ever met anyone who has had part of a lung removed.

And of course I know that your experiences are not be like my experiences.

But any help you can give me I would really appreciate

Re: Lobectomy iknow more now and have questions

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 2, 2019 9:18 am

Happy2‍ - first and foremost, this will be alright. 

My Dad had a “resection” of his right lung two years ago, my neighbour behind me had a whole lobe taken out six years ago, and a lady I used to work with had a whole lung removed 12 years ago now.

Have you been given “lung school”? I went with my Dad to lung school before his surgery - it was all part of his pre-op. They did his bloodwork, then he met with a pharmacist (about quitting smoking and the meds he was on at the time), then there was a class where they gave him tips for coping after his surgery. 

One of the things they told him was to hold a cushion against his ribs, and hold it tight to his side if he had to cough. Another thing I remember was that they gave him a tube to breath into to help you get his lung capacity back. The more you use it, the sooner you will recover. Again, your hospital staff should give you instruction about this.

I had to help Dad with his dressings after his surgery, but as I recall it was because they had rubbed down while he was sleeping.

The surgeons who do this surgery are really skilled. I think you’ll look back a few weeks after the surgery and be amazed at how quickly you’ve recovered from it. I wish you well!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Happy2 on Nov 2, 2019 2:31 pm

Dear Cynthia Mac‍  how wonderful to have answered my message.

I don't feel alone anymore and it's a great feeling. I love the idea of lung School.

I have an appointment with the anesthedia people on the 14th and they said they would hook me up with a nurse for special training so I can get out of the hospital fast.

​​​​​​Thanks again

Posted by Rayline on Nov 3, 2019 12:12 am

Happy2‍ 
I had my lower right lobe removed in May. I had a tube in to remove the fluid while in the hospital. They manage the pain very well in the hospital. It was a challenging surgery and I had trouble going from laying down to sitting up. Was out walking very slowly once I was home. Slowly but surely my body has adjusted and I have been running since the middle of June. Very easy and slow at the beginning have been pretty good for these last two months. I have a feeling like there is something clenching my lung but does not hurt.
Get some dinners tucked into the freezer and try to enlist some help when you get home from the hospital. At least for the first week or so. My surgeon told me to get off the pain meds so after the first week home I stopped taking them and took Tylenol and Advil together.
Keep me posted. When are you getting the surgery?

Posted by Happy2 on Nov 3, 2019 1:50 am

I'm so encouraged to think that you had surgery in May and you were running in June fabulous.

The difference in me since I have started hearing from people who have been through similar experiences is 100%.

Of course we're all different but I'm determined not to let this win

Thank you

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 3, 2019 8:40 am

That’s good, Happy2‍ - a positive mental attitude and that kind of determination will serve you well as you go through this. 

Rayline‍ Is right - Dad had a tube, as well (funny the things you forget). He had his surgery on Friday and came home on the Monday. Like her, Dad was out and puttering around in his garage within the week - Oh, sure, he wasn’t really DOing anything out there, but he was back in his element, and that goes a long way toward healing!

Do you have someone to stay with you for a day or two after surgery? I stayed with my Dad, an I think he appreciated both the company and the assistance. I know from my own experience that that trip home from the hospital, even a few days after the surgery, can knock you flat for a few hours! (Maybe it’s just seeing your own bed that does it!)

Please stop by and keep us posted about your progress when you can.

Posted by Happy2 on Nov 3, 2019 10:57 am

Thank you all again for this I'm not alone but  married my husband is like having my mother around actually more motherly.

And as positive and determined as I am he is the opposite and this is the hardest part.

He's terrified.  The most fearful I am is of him waiting for me to wake up.
we are going to see the anesthetists together and I'm going to make sure that he will be ready for the tubes and the drains.

he has had medical problems before peritonitis and pulmonary embolism but somehow being sick yourself is so much easier then seeing somebody you love in pain.

I am going to be in rapid recovery mode with exercises maybe like the lung School you were talking about in advance. And supposedly from what I understand I will be long-distance monitored at home.

I'll find out about that on the 14th when I see the anesthetist and the doctor at the same time.

I've been relaying to him what you are  telling me and it's calming him down also.

really before I started this Communication with all of you my visions of what was going to happen to me were absolutely incredible.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 3, 2019 1:55 pm

Your husband is not alone, Happy2‍ ! While I was able to stay outwardly calm for Dad leading up to his surgery, I was quite “wigged out” on the inside. It did help me, though, to have all the knowledge Dad had, so if your husband can accompany you to your pre-op appointments, it might help him, too. It also helped me to have been able to “surrender” to the competence I felt for Dad’s surgeon.

We didn’t get to see Dad until hours after his surgery. It wasn’t because anything had gone wrong, but because there was a delay in getting him up to the ward post-op. That delay put us on tinder hooks, even though we had spoken to the surgeon soon after the surgery, and knew everything had gone well.

Tell him I’m pulling for him!

Posted by Autumn Winds on Nov 4, 2019 1:15 pm

First time to reply and it seems my first attempt went direct to digital heaven. Sorry but I don’t know you - your general state of health / diagnosis / life style / exercise habits / etc etc etc. BUT it’s scary to anticipate a lobectomy but you can emerg from surg blessed / rid of cancer  / with lots of lung tissue left to have a wonderful life!!!  For me the first moment I was aware it’s over and I’m coning to I notice how I’m breathing - attempt an intensional breath and say it’s not that bad. I’ll be OK!!! And then I usually slip into a post surgical sleep  again.  Yes there will be some pain / tenderness / shallow breaths as you’re instinctively guarding the area of surgical assault. But hsptl  staff will help to force deeper breaths to aid healing / cleanse your lungs / and get you up and moving. Healing and returning to regular movement will be pendent whether surg a full thoracotomy or VATs. My story too long to detail. Started this journey Dec 2007 and been walking the path ever since. First lobectomy upper right 2008 - second upper left 2012. Also wedge resection lower left 2012. Was scheduled for another wedge Sept 2019 but cancelled last minute - surgeon was concerned and wanted to save some tissue left side. Having SBRT radiation for 2 spots left side end of this month. Feel blessed surgical decision cancelled as I’ve lost so much tissue left side already.  I will emerg from SBRT with almost same quality of life as I have now. After first lobectomy returned to full time running. After second and wedge running was history but checked  my tracker in my phone and average 11 km’s daily without my gym time. Movement has / had always been important to me thus the foregoing detail. One lobectomy in not the proverbial walk in the park but you’ll return to your current lifestyle with lots and lots of lung tissue left to enjoy it or if it’s not as healthy as you’d like it with lots of lung left to make major improvements. This is a time to focus on yourself and what you’d like your healing journey to look like. Be gentle with yourself but know when to push. Sending love via the autumn winds 

Posted by Happy2 on Nov 5, 2019 5:40 am

So sweet of you to answer me considering what you're going through.

I'm really encouraged thank you

PAST TENSE LOBECTOMY UPPER LEFT

Posted by Happy2 on Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am

HOW CAN I SHARE MY ANSWERS WITH EVERYONE

December 3 into hospital 
December 4 operated supposed to be  a couple of hours but dr couldn't get between my ribs so THAT WONDERFUL MAN disconnected the lobe and took it out bit by bit SO AS NOT TO BE MORE DRASTIC He's like that as a person HOW LUCKY  CAN I  BE 
I was in a program supposed to get on my feet immediately but the team had gone home Into a version of intensive  care for Hospital Pasteur in Nice which is where I was operated 
next morning my husband passed in front of the open door so i called out to him and the look on his face when he saw me 
He was expecting sick woman but ended up with the same one he left the day before giddier perhaps from the being on the other side of this ordeal

I want to make sure I ll be able to share this with everyone who has been so GREAT and helpful and CARING to me  

Cause there's a lot more it's day plus 7 and ive been home since Monday

Posted by Wendy Tea on Dec 11, 2019 10:42 am

Happy2‍ , thank you for sharing. It sounds like everything went better than expected  which is wonderful. Now the stress of anticipating surgery is behind you so you can rest, relax, and enjoy the holidays.
I am so happy for you!
Wendy Tea 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 12, 2019 9:32 am

Happy2‍ , you have shared your post with everyone! Job well done from all angles, eh!

May the relief that you and your husband have found linger through the rest of the season and beyond!

Posted by Happy2 on Dec 28, 2019 10:58 am

Upper left lobectomy.

Over and done with.
I have to go back for ct scans every 6 months to 2 years

I was worried when he told me I said not more often PET scan or CAT scan.

Then he told me no just to see how your lung is recuperating.

I never would have been able to do this without you.

good Grief
The idea that I was going to have a full lobe of  my lung taken out. I was absolutely horrified and nobody I knew had any ability to help me.
​​​​​​
The the Cancer group I'm in here said they would see if they could find somebody who had had similar surgery and ask their permission to be able to discuss it with me.

Repeat good grief.

That made me even more apprehensive.

Then I met you guys 
Here I am 3 weeks after surgery 
Vats luckily
The doctor 
Really amazing man called me the day he got the results to tell me that everything was alright the cancer was all by itself stage 1. The rest of the lobe is untouched

​​​
Then then he came in the day after Christmas for our follow-up appointment and told me to live my life.

I can fly I can jog I can drink (a Scotch
​from time to time)

I do have nerve pain 

thanks to all your input realised that is is pretty normal. Annoying but not the end of the world but he said why suffer if I don't have to and he prescribed lydicaine patch

Apart from that  everything else is fine
Again again thank you all for everything

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 29, 2019 8:44 am

Happy2‍ , thank you so much for your update! I’m so happy they were able to catch your cancer at such an early stage. Early detection is, I believe, the best defence we have against this disease, lung cancer in particular.

How’s your hubby doing now?

I raise a glass of Bruichlaiddich to your good health!

Posted by Hope99 on Dec 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Hello, all. (I hope.). I have been a member for a couple of weeks but don't spend a lot of time, and still learning about this website.  I do find it very supportive and full of information.

I found  your posts (Happy2) today, now that your successful surgery is done.  I am very happy to hear everything went well and there is a very optimistic report for the future.  I had a left upper lobectomy in February of 2015.  Unfortunately I had all sorts of complications (cardiac) and my hospital stay ended up being more like 8 days than the 3 days originally forecast. (So perhaps for the best that I didn't pass that on prior to your own surgery?!)  I was lucky that the surgeons were able to perform the VATS on me, despite a history of tuberculous pleurisy (resulting in many areas of adhesion of my lung to the lung wall).  As soon as I was able, I was up and walking.  I've always loved hiking and I'm happy I can still get out there in nature, walk and enjoy a 'forest bath'.  I have been interested in reading today about people who have been able to run post surgery.  That isn't in the cards for me, but then I had stopped running some years prior to my surgery, anyways.  

I noted the comments about your husband and his fears etc. and I relate to that, as my husband (a very caring, supportive man) seems to worry about my condition more than me! 

It's great to see the 'lung cancer' people still around, and doing well!!

A couple of things

Posted by Happy2 on Dec 30, 2019 10:49 am

I got so much information from all of you about what to do after the surgery that made things even easier.

I learned a couple of things myself too and share them because maybe somebody can get something out of it.

I had an upper left lobectomy. Not that much pain I took Lyrica but it knocked me out so the doctor gave me lidocaine patches

I had two areas of pain one on my back around the incision and the other one under my left breast one day of patch on the back calmed that pain.

it's lighter now but I'm going to keep using the patch for a couple more days on the front

Very interesting thing I'm a very light either I'm small and much more of a nibbler but after the operation and before the operation tried to eat more like a human than like a cat.
One thing I noticed since I only had an upper left lobectomy the most uncomfortable I have ever been with two days after I got out of the hospital which had the most horrible food in the world I came home and had a nice meal fish potatoes and broccoli of course I drank my litre of water.

The combination of a full meal and and water and whatever they had done to the inside of my chest was a really difficult combination.

Full stomach  pushed my diaphragm up 0 I'm not sure exactly what happened but it did feel like it.

I did it again  the other day I ate too much and was miserable.

I'm just going to be a lot more careful but that's probably the only thing approaching pain that I had since I got out of hospital.

Humorously I think of it as eat or breathe.

Posted by Wendy Tea on Dec 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Happy2‍ , you have such a great attitude! Try eating small meals 6 times a day so you still get your nutrients with feeling too full. Does it help to sit upright when you are uncomfortable? I guess the key is to try several different positions until you get comfortable. 
Best wishes 
Wendy Tea 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Posted by Happy2 on Dec 31, 2019 6:04 am

How is my husband doing 
hUmmmmm

I think I explained he is as negative  as I am positive he has been stunned at my speedy recovery.
As I must say I have been too.
So here I am showing off to everybody how well I'm doing and he is is informing them all of every painful episode I have had.
I guess it is so incredible that he really doesn't believe it.
I have switched from being upset to applying humour.
I have made him a list of all of the the painful episodes I have had and after I get finished telling everybody how great I feel I give him the floor.
I must admit though painful episode is really an overstatement.
I do have this pesky nerve pain it's greatly relieved by novocaine type patches.
The most difficulty I've had has been the combination of eating too much and trying to relax after a Big meal.
I've I've cut my meals down and I try to walk around after meals.
But the other night at the movies I must admit that I did hurt and thank you very much for the idea of smaller meals which helps.

Posted by MCharlotte on Jan 1, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi Happy 2
i had my upper left lung removed by VATS summer of 2018.  I was a stage 1B.   No  chemo or radiation was
needed at that time.
my surgery was fairly long only because I have COPD and had some scar tissue to deal with. Pain is well controlled with a morphine pump...you control your own pain by pressing a button....no chance of overdose. You will have a drainage tube placed between the ribs “ while asleep” until there are no more air bubbles or drainage in a special container that will be checked frequently.  You will be up in a chair usually same day for short period....then short walks thereafter. If all goes well you are home in about three-four days.  Good Luck!