Can my father (who has lymphocytic leukemia) qualify for disability?

Can my father (who has lymphocytic leukemia) qualify for disability?

Posted by cpagravel on Jan 30, 2019 9:09 pm

My father has lymphocytic leukemia and he's been told by Revenue Canada that he does qualify for disability. Has anyone had experience with this? I haven't found the relevant information saying that he wouldn't be considered for disability. Any information is really appreciated.

Re: Can my father (who has lymphocytic leukemia) qualify for disability?

Posted by cpagravel on Jan 31, 2019 7:59 am

I made a mistake in my original post. I did it in a hurry. My father has been told that he "does not" qualify for disability. He's retired and I was hoping that he would qualify since he's unable to work with the effects of the chemo sessions.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 31, 2019 8:37 am

Hi, cpagravel‍ , I have no experience with applying for disability, but I have heard that most applications are denied on their “first pass.”  That being said, you do say in your post that your father is retired. If he is retired and already receiving a pension, he might not qualify.

You might try contacting his local welfare/ social services office to see if he qualifies for a provincial disability (In Ontario it is ODSP, the Ontario Disability Support Program), and whether they feel he should re-apply for CPP disability. Another resource would be to talk to a lawyer who specializes in advocating for persons with disabilities.

Posted by Aly on Jan 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi cpagravel‍ , unfortunately I do not have much experience in regarding disability so I am going to pass the buck and tag someone in.

jennifer_m‍ , do you have any information regarding how qualifying for disability works? I read your response to Angry Dad which was extremely insightful and was hoping you may be able to help here.

Aly

Posted by jennifer_m on Jan 31, 2019 9:17 pm

Just a couple questions to clarify - when you say "disability" do you mean the Disability Tax Credit, or monthly disability payments from the government? Also, how old is your dad, and what province is he in? Revenue Canada administers the Disability Tax Credit, so if he got turned down for that it doesn't mean that he is ineligible for monthly disability benefits too. The DTC has a different test than disability benefits programs do in order to qualify. Also I think you need to be under 60 to apply for the DTC so if he is over 60 he may not qualify because of his age. In terms of monthly disability benefit programs, there's two programs: Canada Pension Plan Disability and provincial disability programs. They also have different eligibility tests and criteria - CPP-D looks at level of disability but also something called the "minimum qualifying period" to see if you have enough hours to qualify for benefits. Provincial programs tend to base eligibility on a combination of level of disability and financial situation, so for instance you can't qualify for ODSP if you have more than $40,000 in the bank because ODSP is intended to be a program of last resort for people who have no other options. I believe you cannot apply for ODSP or CPPD if you're over 65, so age may be a factor here too. (Not sure about other provincial disability programs.) Happy to try to answer more specific questions depending on what program he applied for. Just tag me as I don't check here often otherwise :)

Posted by cpagravel on Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for the response. I will get back to you with more information. My dad just went in for chemo so he may be not be responsive for a few days. I'm not sure which programs he applied for or looked into.

Share with your friends: